• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-sizing Brass on a 358 WSM AR

Earnhardt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2018
My problem here...

I'm using 2 different brands of brass (for comparison) in my WSM AR

Nosler and ADG brass is ~.550" before firing at the base of the brass above the rim...after firing, the base of the brass is between .555" to .560" at the base of the brass (above the rim)

After firing the round, whether with the gas on...or completely turned off, the base of the brass will not resize to less than .555' or so, at the .200 line... with a Standard Redding re-sizing die

And whether I'm using a 9 oz buffer, or 12-15 oz HeavyBuffer.com buffer...the base of the brass all looks the same...Fully operational or with the gas shut off with the AGB

And I am having a hard time getting newly sized and reloaded rounds to operate properly or even cahmber without jamming the charging handle and BCG forward...

I have small base dies for other AR's I have, but not for this 358 WSM- AR

Is a custom small base re-sizing die the only hope in resizing the brass down to .550"..or is there something else I can do?

This is cross posted on Accurate Shooter...

Thanks

Last edited:
IMG_8254.jpeg

From left to right... this is the ADG brass
1) Brand New Brass
2) 9 oz buffer
3) 12 oz buffer (normal buffer used) this brass is re-sized
4) 15 oz buffer
5) Gas turned completely off

I know it's hard to see, but there is an expansion in the fired brass at the .200 line
It's expanded about .010", and my normal re-sizing die will only bring it down .005" or so...

Last edited:
Guy on the other forum had a great idea...

Set up a RUM or Nosler sizing die...so it only sizes the base of the brass, since a WSM is much shorter than the RUM

It worked!

Reactions: Yote Klr
Guy on the other forum had a great idea...

Set up a RUM or Nosler sizing die...so it only sizes the base of the brass, since a WSM is much shorter than the RUM

It worked!
Your welcome.
Just make sure your wsm shoulders aren't pushed up too far.

When I ran mine through my 28 nosler die I also resized in my 300wsm fl die. Check the length also, I trimmed after all the work was done.

Glad it worked.

Reactions: Earnhardt