• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re using pulled bullets?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I have 60 rounds loaded with berger 140 hybrids... for some reason, the brass missed the sizing step? im 99% sure I sized it all, but I had a few today at a match not let me push the bolt all the way in and most of the rest were hard to close on. Most measure same as once fired, with the few that got stuck 0.001 over once fired?

I sized them using the same die, without changing anything so Im not sure whats up... ANYWAYS

I gotta pull these bullets, I use the RCBS collet puller. Any chance of messing with accuracy after pulling?

I shoot 2 different matches. One is 400-1019 yards and the other is 200-500 yards. Im thinking they'll probably be ok for the 500 yard match?

Thanks

I have pulled many before with the Hornady collet and so long as you don’t mar them up too bad, it will be fine. You should be able to extract them with very little marking.

Think about what the rifling does to the bullet. I say load em back up and think nothing of it.

I have pulled many before with the Hornady collet and so long as you don’t mar them up too bad, it will be fine. You should be able to extract them with very little marking.

Think about what the rifling does to the bullet. I say load em back up and think nothing of it.
    I’m wondering if I should use them for matches or just plinking ammo now.

Both.

I mean if its going to mess with your head, don’t. I’ve pull bullets, resized the case and loaded it right for a match. Everything shot as expected.

More importantly, I would check your setup on your size die. Doesn't sound like you missed a step, but just didn't bump the shoulder (enough). Either the die wasn't all the way down, your cases are hardening and need a little more bump, or?

I have 60 rounds loaded with Berger 140 hybrids... for some reason, the brass missed the sizing step? I’m 99% sure I sized it all, but I had a few today at a match not let me push the bolt all the way in and most of the rest were hard to close on. Most measure same as once fired, with the few that got stuck 0.001 over once fired?

I sized them using the same die, without changing anything so I'm not sure what’s up...

Thanks
    Some pieces of brass are able to resist being sized more than others. If your setup does not have the shell holder touching the bottom of the die at the top of the sizing stroke under load, some cases may be sized more or less than others. I obtained a set of Redding Competition Shell Holders to solve a similar issue with a .223.

Many people recommend sizing cases to 0.002 or 0.003 inches shorter than fired.

One last thought—measuring or gauging all cases before a match can save a lot of aggravation.

Reactions: Grouper
    I have 60 rounds loaded with berger 140 hybrids... for some reason, the brass missed the sizing step? im 99% sure I sized it all, but I had a few today at a match not let me push the bolt all the way in and most of the rest were hard to close on. Most measure same as once fired, with the few that got stuck 0.001 over once fired?

I sized them using the same die, without changing anything so Im not sure whats up... ANYWAYS

I gotta pull these bullets, I use the RCBS collet puller. Any chance of messing with accuracy after pulling?

I shoot 2 different matches. One is 400-1019 yards and the other is 200-500 yards. Im thinking they'll probably be ok for the 500 yard match?

Thanks

Okay, why would they be okay to compete out to 500 and not 1000? Think about that.

All things relevant they will be just as accurate at any range. But I normally save pulled bullets for future fouling shots. Or like in your case just burn them up in the normal course of doing business.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    Load and shoot as normal. I've had to pull dozens before, reloaded them, they shot just as well as fresh ones. That was even with the hammer puller. Now I have a collet puller die and it's even better.

i use pulled bullets for foulers. just pull them and make a black sharpie line around them.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Use them for foulers or plinkers if they are heavily marked and you are concerned. Some folks will even use lightly marked bullets in matches; barring the anal retentive control freaks.

If it's in your head then make them a practice batch or sighters. Consider what tour barrel does to them though. Unless you mashed them when you pulled them they will.be okay. People used to buy pulled 175 SMKs to load match ammo with.

I've pulled literally hundreds (a thousand, maybe two?) of different bullets for different cases over the decades. Two issues seem significant.

The pull force can get harder for each individual case; which can necessitate more collet tension. This can distort the bullet.

Crimps, taper or factory, can also distort the bullet right at the time they are applied.

I have been unable to come up with a means to predict specific consequences of the distortions, but they all seem to increase dispersion to some degree.

Where pull force is notably heavy; I set the bullet aside for basics training, where the accomplishment of the specific marksmanship basic technique is more important than actual POI.

Greg

Reactions: DIBBS
    The Hornady cam puller will pull em all without a scratch once you get it set right. Pull and reuse. It won’t scratch it any worse than that barrel will as it speeds down the tube.

Load and send em. Whatever scratches they may have on the bearing surface from the neck will likely get burned out when you are forcing them through the barrel followed by a raging inferno of blazing hot plasma.

I guess... back in the day good bullets were hard to find? I recall in the past lots of folks buying ammo to pull then reload as their Really Good Ammo.

Only thing I have seen done was to stuff a foam ear plug in the bottom of the puller head, so the tip of the bullet didn't get dinked up. Depending on the profile, that might matter.

The main problem with pulling a factory bullet is that they dont chamber virgin brass. Well, most dont. That can leave some scratches. I have 175 SMKs that have scratches on the bearing surface from that. They seem fine accuracy wise. They were pulled from like M118LR or something.

I would almost wager that... If you prepped the cases well, and had a good even chamfer, you might not see any scratches, or they might be barely noticeable

I can’t help but let it worry me. I pulled a few today and had a few markings so I just put them away to use for measuring throat wear down the road.