• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Re-work of Composite Stock

Blk04SR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
SoCal
I have a Savage 10fp with B&C stock...I want to take the edge off of it on the and round it a bit but what paint or coating would I use to finish the stock.

Do I need to glass the stock after I start sanding away at it?

Do I also use a sealer of some sort?

What are your good tips?

Thanks

Re: Re-work of Composite Stock

first off....

fill up your bath tub with water and see if your stock floats...

THEN take your stock to you local water way and seek out anyone without a paddle....and attempt to sell it to them.

take said funds garnered from floating stock sale and buy a real rifle stock.

Well the stock isnt worth much unless the bottom metal kit from CDI comes with it...not to many people looking for a Bell and Carlson stock with an inlet job done for a Savage as well.

How about if you do my dirty work and then buy me a Manners stock?

No one works on composite stocks?

Whats the deal people?

It is a bit like taking an angle grinder to your car. One might just go through the first layer... if that happens too much the the thing isn't rigid anymore.
I've never had a B&C stock before, but composite stocks mostly have the strong long fiber layers outside and just filler material behind that.
edi

What are you wanting to do to it? I took a router with a round over bit to take some material off the fore grip and add a Butt hook. Use Fiber All. I primed sanded textured then painted.

SDC10239.jpg

Not the best Camo job and the butt hook could have been a touch different but its my poor man's A5 Stock $199 Inlet $60 so total $260.00 I will sometime get it in a manners or Mcmillan But for now it does the job.

B&C is Bell and Carlson...

Yeah someday I will have a Manners or McMillan on a new rifle build but for now on my Savage the B&C will have to work out.

I just want to knock the edge off the forearm area, round it out a bit and re-paint the whole stock. I dont know what to paint it with, I like the texture stuff, how do I do that?

For texture the rattle can spray in bedliner works really well. Just let it sit for a couple days and then paint. For cheap you can get away with going the Krylon rout for your paint, and put a couple coats of clear over it for a bit of durability.

You will problay run into some holes when you sand the it. Don't worry fill it with the fibral it's made by U-pol. You can buy it at most automotive paint stores. Sands easy. Easy to mix. The texture on the stock use marine tex or some other type of bedding compound. Tape of and apply then with a popcycle stick tap on it's edge to get the desired texture. Search how to texture a stock. There are several good threads on how to. Mine is a B&C stock. And for paint. I use automotive paint. But there are pleanty of krylon jobs on here that look way better than my camo job. Plus i do body work for a living so it's mostly left over color from work.