• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re-Writing America's History

Darayavaus

Renaissance man
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2019
    in a bunker here behind my wall

“The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth.”​

― George Orwell, 1984

The congressional naming commission which was set up to remove Confederate names from military bases will review the names of "more than 750 Department of Defense items" that include everything from military bases to streets and bridges, to determine whether their names "commemorate the Confederacy," a release from the Commission announced Wednesday.
    The Commission, established by the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act in the face of fierce opposition from former President Donald Trump in 2020, was originally tasked to rename nine military bases and sites associated with the Confederacy, as well as other Defense Department assets with names commemorating the Confederacy.
    The list of more than 750 items includes not just the nine military bases but also roads, signs, bridges, and fields on bases and military installations across the US and two items at a US naval base in Japan.
    The list is as detailed as naming stickers, flyers and posters on certain military installations that need to be reviewed, including "window decals at Ozark and Enterprise gate Welcome Centers" at Fort Rucker in Alabama and "mechanical room signage" at Fort Benning in Georgia.

"We will update the inventory list in collaboration with the Department of Defense, including its sub-agencies and the military branches, as we continue to identify assets within our area of consideration," retired Adm. Michelle Howard, chair of the Naming Commission, said in the release. "This work is vital to understand the scope and estimated cost of renaming or removing Confederate-named assets and will enable us to provide the most accurate report possible to Congress."
    The Secretary of Defense will have the final say in the renaming of bases. The commission recommendations are to include assessments of how local communities may be impacted by any changes.
    The original nine military installations the commission was tasked to review were Fort Lee, Fort Hood, Fort Benning, Fort Gordon, Fort Bragg, Fort Polk, Fort Pickett, Fort AP Hill and Fort Rucker. The updated list includes items on more than just those nine military installations.
    The commission's final recommendations to Congress are due on October 1.

They want to rename Fort Lee, named after the guy who was considered the paragon of gentlemanly good manners and who said

"Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?"

I sometimes wonder if rewriting the past is less about racial activism, and more about erasing the idea that half the country rose up against the Federal Government and nearly defeated it. By redefining and then condemning the conversation away from states rights and secession onto racism and bigotry, they are simply "labelling and denouncing" wrongthinkers and shaming anyone who wants to remember our history.

And it's already spread to our founding fathers of the Revolution. Within a couple of years, they will be removed from public consciousness as well.

At some point in the future George Washington will be replaced by Booker T Washington.
    Or Booker T Jones if you like 1960's R&B. :)

They want to erase US history, change the west and destroy our way of life. All by design.

Lee was a great man, but he wasn't always right. Surrender was a mistake and recent history proves that as fact.

If not surrender, what? An insurgency that took another 30 years of blood and treasure to suppress? Definitely an interesting counter-factual.

Massive inflation, crime way up, the beginnings of war, huge finanial disaster on the horizon, and these idiots are making lists of 200 year old names to change because that's what the riots and burning shit down was about.... I used to have hope that we would pull out of this, at least I'd tell myself that foe my children's sake.... It's going to get real bad here before I gets better.

If not surrender, what? An insurgency that took another 30 years of blood and treasure to suppress? Definitely an interesting counter-factual.
    Disband rather than surrender. If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what Jeff Davis ordered Gen Lee to do. The last 50 yrs prove it valid.

Or Booker T Jones if you like 1960's R&B. :)

They want to erase US history, change the west and destroy our way of life. All by design.
    “Every child in America who enters school at the age of five is mentally ill, because he comes to school with an allegiance toward our elected officials, toward our founding fathers, toward our institutions, toward the preservation of this form of government that we have. Patriotism, nationalism, and sovereignty, all that proves that children are sick because a truly well individual is one who has rejected all of those things, and is truly the international child of the future.”
    -- Chester Middlebrook Pierce

Lee was a great man, but he wasn't always right. Surrender was a mistake and recent history proves that as fact.
    militarily speaking, he might not have been the best choice. I've read some theses that present Stonewall Jackson as the better tactician who understood and knew how to utilize the technology that existed at the time

“Every child in America who enters school at the age of five is mentally ill, because he comes to school with an allegiance toward our elected officials, toward our founding fathers, toward our institutions, toward the preservation of this form of government that we have. Patriotism, nationalism, and sovereignty, all that proves that children are sick because a truly well individual is one who has rejected all of those things, and is truly the international child of the future.”
    -- Chester Middlebrook Pierce
    Who worked with this peach:

Disband rather than surrender. If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what Jeff Davis ordered Gen Lee to do. The last 50 yrs prove it valid.

So… then what? Insurgency? This would be a great way to ensure subjugation, rather than reconstruction. Very different animals.

militarily speaking, he might not have been the best choice. I've read some theses that present Stonewall Jackson as the better tactician who understood and knew how to utilize the technology that existed at the time

This is a whole different discussion. I think his reputation was much inflated in the revision that occurred in the decades following the war, but is also much better than the latest spat of revisionism would teach. Somewhere in the middle.

You allude to one of the most valid criticisms…. he was a tactician and not so much a strategist, although you could make the argument that pursuing ‘the one’ decisive battle was the only option he had, and consciously losing the war in the West to do so was worthy gamble.

So… then what? Insurgency? This would be a great way to ensure subjugation, rather than reconstruction. Very different animals.

This is a whole different discussion. I think his reputation was much inflated in the revision that occurred in the decades following the war, but is also much better than the latest spat of revisionism would teach. Somewhere in the middle.

You allude to one of the most valid criticisms…. he was a tactician and not so much a strategist, although you could make the argument that pursuing ‘the one’ decisive battle was the only option he had, and consciously losing the war in the West to do so was worthy gamble.
    So the South would spend years getting brutalized, starved, land and possessions stolen, raped, government taken over by foreigners, way of life snuffed out? That's reconstruction. Knowing what's known now, they should have smiled by day and skinned out / hanged Yankees by night.

I understand they are even changing the name of an obsolete rocket system, now to be called "Dishonest John".
    dishonest_john.jpeg

Reactions: mgrs
    A revision of attacking the 25 miles to into Washington DC from Manassas after breaking the union forces would have been a good one. I am Southern through and through but in reality a separate Southern government would likely be as bad as the counterpart 'cause government.

Last edited:
    A revision of attacking the 25 miles to into Washington DC from Manassas after breaking the union forces would have been a good one. I am Southern through and through but in reality a separate Southern government would likely be as bad as the counterpart 'cause government.
    If they succeeded and stayed true to a confederate system, any overbearing government would be at the State level.

Reactions: Darayavaus
    What was the difference between the CSA Constitution and our currrent one?

Crack a history book dumbass. You are as dangerously uninformed as the 1619 project. And t hat takes a lot of effort.
    CSA had a line item veto for the president on bills...
    Possibly one of the greatest things to stop pork

Reactions: DocRDS
    If they succeeded and stayed true to a confederate system, any overbearing government would be at the State level.
    the articles of confederation were obviously weighted towards state power, and our constitution as intended, instituted a check and balance between the states and the federal government. Lincoln destroyed that primary check and balance, and effectively tore up the Constitution during the civil war. "the Union must be preserved" is about as hollow as the catchphrase "territorial integrity" when it comes to the rights of the people and limited government.

the articles of confederation were obviously weighted towards state power, and our constitution as intended, instituted a check and balance between the states and the federal government. Lincoln destroyed that primary check and balance, and effectively tore up the Constitution during the civil war. "the Union must be preserved" is about as hollow as the catchphrase "territorial integrity" when it comes to the rights of the people and limited government.
    Speaking of hollow catchphrases "states rights (aka Power)" was the 1860 equivalent of "Support Ukraine" in the CSA.

As @babyguppy pointed they did grant a line item veto, which was tried, but declared unconstitution in the 1990s (SMH on that one) for US, but otherwise the CSA Constitution was US constitution with Slavery. Lincoln takes a lot of shit from "Lost Cause" enthusiasts, but he had a lot of help along the way from people like Johnson, Roosevelt, Wilson, Congress, and The Supreme Court. It wasn't once person, it has been a continual trend over 200 years.

ANd back to the OP concern on renaming--how many of you actually now anything of the people these things are named after. Hell I'm a self-proclaimed history buff, and I never associated Fort Bragg with Braxton Bragg. Is Fort Lee for Robert E. Lee, Henry Lee, or Charles Lee? 99% of the people involved couldn't same a single fact other than "they bad" because some a-hole told em so.

Although Nathional Bedford Forest National Forest probably outta go.

just sayin...even if he was a fantastic cavalryman.

ANd back to the OP concern on renaming--how many of you actually now anything of the people these things are named after. Hell I'm a self-proclaimed history buff, and I never associated Fort Bragg with Braxton Bragg. Is Fort Lee for Robert E. Lee, Henry Lee, or Charles Lee? 99% of the people involved couldn't same a single fact other than "they bad" because some a-hole told em so.

Fort Lee, Va., honors Virginian General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870, West Point class of 1829), the South’s commanding officer by the Civil War’s end. The War Department created Camp Lee within weeks of declaring war on Germany in 1917. The Pentagon promoted it to Fort Lee in 1950. Just south of Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy, the post is home to the Army Quartermaster School. Lee was the Confederacy’s most renowned general, and his forces inflicted tens of thousands of casualties on Union soldiers’ at Antietam, Gettysburg and Manassas.

The Revolutionary War Ft Lee was built overlooking the Hudson, opposite Ft. Washington. That was named for Charles Lee.
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/forts-washington-and-lee

Ft Bragg was clearly named after Braxton Bragg; but the only thing I'm aware of named after Nathan Bedford Forrest is a state park. https://tnstateparks.com/parks/campground/nathan-bedford-forrest

Last edited:
    Fort Lee, Va., honors Virginian General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870, West Point class of 1829), the South’s commanding officer by the Civil War’s end. The War Department created Camp Lee within weeks of declaring war on Germany in 1917. The Pentagon promoted it to Fort Lee in 1950. Just south of Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy, the post is home to the Army Quartermaster School. Lee was the Confederacy’s most renowned general, and his forces inflicted tens of thousands of casualties on Union soldiers’ at Antietam, Gettysburg and Manassas.

The Revolutionary War Ft Lee was built overlooking the Hudson, opposite Ft. Washington. That was named for Charles Lee.
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/forts-washington-and-lee

Ft Bragg was clearly named after Braxton Bragg; but the only thing I'm aware of named after Nathan Bedford Forrest is a state park. https://tnstateparks.com/parks/campground/nathan-bedford-forrest
    Thanks Capt Obvious. THe point was no one knows that there is more than one famous Lee because no one knows jack about history

Reactions: babyguppy
    Although Nathional Bedford Forest National Forest probably outta go.

just sayin...even if he was a fantastic cavalryman.
    just say'n
    Nathional Forest with a National forest.. hell, do people even look at a map that close to look at spelling.

No just you. (Try the search function moron)

Masks don't work
    Voted for Trump Twice.

Thanks for playing dumbass. I actually agree with not renaming them--but you are so fucking hell bent on having your head up your ass you can't see it. The point was when someone says "Ft Bragg" they don't even think of Braxton Bragg. Its just a damn name.

(You forgot glowie and a Fed!!)

Last edited:
    So the South would spend years getting brutalized, starved, land and possessions stolen, raped, government taken over by foreigners, way of life snuffed out? That's reconstruction. Knowing what's known now, they should have smiled by day and skinned out / hanged Yankees by night.

As flawed and repressive as it may have been, reconstruction was one of the softest landings for a defeated rebelling faction in a civil war, ever. There was an occupation and forced change, but how many were accused and tried for treason, deported, executed, etc?

It more often ends in "gulag" than "scalawag."

Well, only one national government during the war instituted food and property impressment as a matter of national policy or required papers for, and severely restricted, domestic travel. Sure, both suspended habeas corpus, but only one allowed it by presidential fiat.

Took maybe two years to become to become more oppressive than that which they seceded to avoid.

Reactions: DocRDS