• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reached 200 Yards Today @ 2:31 pm MST

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
At 2:31 pm MST at our local range this day (6/11/09) I finally reached the 8" x 10" - 3/16" thick gong at 200 yards. It was not with the rifle I thought I would have gotten there first with as I just decided to grab the lesser Lakefield MarkI that has a 3-7x20 BSA scope on it, and is zeroed in for 50 yards.

Rather then me try and explain my aiming points as I worked the gong out from 100, 150, & 200 yards, I drew a diagram that you can see by clicking on the following link that shows the aiming points at 150 & 200 yards. There is also other info on the diagram if you care to read my chicken scratch which includes todays weather, and the ammo I used;

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0381.jpg

Here is link to my the gong I took to the range to shoot at today;

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0382.jpg

All shooting today was done off the Range's picnic table that sets on the firing line as the carpet on the benches were soaking wet. With my rifle's bipod I set the rifle on top of my range box and shot from that position. I couldn't get a great sight picture, but I got a good enough one for what I had to work with today.

On average from 200 yards I hit this gong 3 out of every 5 shots, and once I hit it 4 out of 5 shots. I'm hooked now for sure! I'll be taking the Savage Mark II FVT out tomorrow with its 6-24x42 Mil-Dot scope setting atop of it with a 20MOA base,,, weather permitting.
smile.gif

Re: Reached 200 Yards Today @ 2:31 pm MST

Its fun isn't it.

I must have too much time on my hands because tonight I played with your numbers. Just trying to figure your reticle subtensions for your hold over.

Looked up your weather today in weather underground for your area Crawford NE. Made some assumptions for inputting into Sierra Ballistic Calculator. Temp 55F pressure 29.98" (corrected to sea level as required) Humidity listed at 78% today in your area at that time. Altitude as provided 3960 ft. I didn't have sight height info so put in 1.86"
Sierra has the winchester 40gr solid bc at 0.138.

Based on these calculations the ballistic drop from 50 yard zero to 200 yards is 19.1 MOA. If the bullets were hitting right at the top of your plate your thick post is 19.1 MOA below the crosshairs. If the bulletts were just catching the bottom of the 10" plate (approx 5MOA lower exactly 4.776MOA) then your thick post only 14.1 MOA lower then the crosshair.

To be more accurate you could calculate it by placing a large target about 20" at 50 yards and place the thick reticle portion at the bottom of the paper and with your 50 yard zero fire a shot or group and measure up from the bottom of the paper in inches then double that number to get the minutes of angle for the thick post. (Most accurate if that in inches is divided by .5235) This will change for each power setting and you could get number for more power setting since it's not a first focal plane scope.

This can also be done without shooting using a ruler but for lower power setting harder to read the ruler at 50 yards. Each minute of angle will be 1.047/2 = 0.5235" for max accuracy or about 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

I can e-mail you a copy of the ballistic printout if needed. I'm not sure how to post it.

Also your drop for 150 is about 11.3 MOA from 50 yard zero. The 10" target is 6.37 MOA high. With this info we can further narrow down the subtension between 14.1 MOA and 17.47(11.1+6.37) to not sail over the plate.

Just having fun take it or leave it

Thanks
Mark

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the information. Your figures on the 150 yards have to be so close because if you add in the 8" depth of the plate + 7" of chain, and I was holding the cross hairs above the bar that the chain is attached to holding the metal plate, while trying to keep the bottom scope post on the bottom of the target,,, it would be in the neighborhood of your findings for sure!

Yes, this long range shooting is fun! Weather permitting I'll be out tomorrow with the Savage Mark II FVT, with a fresh coat of flat-black on the metal. That rifle has all the tools on it where I won't need to worry about hold over as it has a 6-24x42 Mil-Dot scope and a 20 MOA EGW base.

I shouldn't need a copy of the print out, but I sure do thank you for running it and passing on the information.
smile.gif

Tomorrow I'll be shooting the Eley Sport through the Savage as I'm zeroed at fifty yards with that already. I also have the elevation dialed up 21 minutes for 200 yards so I'll see what happens. I'll also take some target paper with me tomorrow in case I need it...

A few years ago our local gun club had a .22 shillouette match with a 200 yard egg shoot to kill time when other shooters where not on the firing line . I was shooting a 52 win with a 10x unertal , you got to shoot 2 shots from prone with the rifle resting on a log . The sun was behind me and I was able to see the bullet as it missed the first shot and held a little Kentucky wind and elevation and hit the egg on the second shot . Only luck but it was still fun .

Howard

That egg would certainly be a challenge Howard, no doubt about it.

My thinking now is that after todays outing with the Savage to get it on metal at 200 yards, I will start to reduce my metal target size at that distance since at this point I'm working with 8" x 10". Perhaps the following reductions over time; 7" x 9", 6" x 8", 5" x 7", and 4" x 6"... I'll have to get with my local welder I'm thinking. I know he has the same interest in this long range .22lr shooting.

If I could hit these size of 'projected' metal targets from 200 yards with my Savage set up with at least a 4 out of 5 shot success rate, I would feel confident enough to move back to 250 yards - repeat the process, and then move back to 300 yards (our local range's max distance).

I will add that the 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 metal target's may be over stretching not only my ability, but my setup's ability as well shooting at 300 yards,,, but I have to try.
smile.gif
That's a ways down the road at this time however.

Got to the Range this morning about 10:00 am, and set up a paper target (22" x 22" white background with a bullseye target on 8 x 11 paper in the center) at 200 yards, to shoot "first" with my Savage MK II FVT, using the Eley Sport (1085 fps) before going to metal.

Had to make some adjustments, but after 20 shots (the last 5 grouping at 3 1/8" in the center area of the 8 x 11 target), it was time to move to the 8 x 10 metal swinger.

I had good results on the swinger and after hitting it a number of times I decided to see just how many times I could hit it out of 30 shots. My tally was 27 hits of 30 shots, 90%... I felt pretty good about that.

Later this afternoon I made a couple more metal swingers to switch out the 8 x 10 to a 6 x 8 inch... Once I feel I am getting good enough results on the 6 x 8 (which I plan on trying tomorrow), I will replace it with the other metal swinger I made today that turned out to be 3.75 x 7.75 inches. Of course that's a ways down the road I'm thinking?

Conditions were gray one minute and sunshine the next with maybe a 5 to 8 mph wind that was never consistant. I could actually wait the wind out. When the sun shined through the clouds it created a heat mirage down range, but then the cloud cover would come and the mirage would disappeared, only to return when the sun shined through again.

The mirage probably effected my shooting as on recovering the swinger I noticed a group of low and high lead splats, but for the most part, the shots seem to have stayed center mass...

I'll see what results tomorrow brings when shooting the 6 x 8 swinger with the same Savage MK II FVT setup. Again, all shooting was done from the bench using the rifle's bipod and the butt tucked into my shoulder. It was a fun morning!
smile.gif

I went on to ebay and put in a search for AR500 and bought four
1/2" AR500 steel hanging targets that measure 4.5" wide and 7" high. Welded up a portable hanger for is and plan to get out with it on Sunday in the back country with the ATV. Our shooting club wont let us shoot steel and only has 100 yard range. Going to be doing some mil dot ranging practice (don't own a laser rangefinder) and shooting with my left hand Savage BTVS and my Left A -bolt 300 win mag.

This 22 thing really magnifies all little problems. Today at the range was able to shrink the groups at 100 yards with better trigger control. It has an accutrigger but its still about 2.5 lbs.

Got to go reload some rounds now. I really don't know how the stand is going to stand up to the 300. It might just flip it over or wrap those little targets and chains up.

I couldn't agree more hifly78, there is lots we learn from our .22's...

I almost bought a MKII BTVS last year, but when I asked our supplier about it, she told me they were out of stock and didn't have a delivery date so I took the MKII FVT instead.

As I understand it a person can nip a coil off the Accu-trigger spring to get a lighter pull, but I'm to scared to do it myself for fear of messing something up - even though it's pretty straight forward.

That 300 win mag might just give those 1/2" AR500 targets a run for their money!

Good luck and have fun. I'm sure you will!
smile.gif

Let us know how that Savage BTVS does. I'm still thinking about one but it'll have to wait a while now.

Congratulations! Been reading your previous posts and enjoying your successes and ideas. Keep working on extending your range. I've been learning a lot about what affects bullet flight once it leaves the rifle using the .22 LR, especially at extended ranges.

Been shooting high power for so long, forgot how much fun .22LRs are.

Gunfighter

Thanks Gunfighter, I appreciate the kind words. I hope to get out this morning before the wind comes up to bad and give that 6 x 8 gong a go at 200.

Here is a link to yesterday's target results below. Once I got the 5 shot group in the paper target (3 1/8") I felt confident enough to move to the gong, (which I changed out and is setting next to the paper target).

When I had no mirage I was hitting center mass as I could tell from the fresh flat black paint at first, and then later how the gong reacted when hit as it would swing 'square'... When I hit it when getting a mirage it would swing in a 'wobble' effect.

I really am finding that the more I do this long range stuff, the more I like it!
smile.gif

Here's a link to a picture of yesterday's targets;

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/?action=view&current=100_0384.jpg

I got back out this morning to shoot the 6x8 gong from 200 yards. I was fighting a cross wind that at times was effecting my shooting upwards of 4 inches, maybe more. Once I got on target using the windage mil-dot, I was okay. My hit count out of thirty shots wasn't that great, but I write that off to fighting the wind. I hit 23 of 30 record shots (76.6%), down from yesterday's 90% on the 8x10 gong. Still, I feel pretty good about this morning's results.

Here is yet another link to the 6 x 8 target I shot this morning. I hung the repainted 8 x 10 gong next to it for visual effect of the reduction size of targets from yesterday and this morning.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0386.jpg

Some things I learned today was that if a person was to shoot this kind of 'gong' competition, they would surely need a spotter watching each gong for movement as I had one nick that I thought may have moved the gong but really wasn't sure?

It is on the left side of the target about 1/4" below the half or less bullet strike on the edge. It is only about a 1/32" nick, but it would have to have been counted as a hit, provided 'the' spotter saw it.

Another good idea would be to always keep the spray paint handy for the next shooter to have a clear no-hits-showing gong to start with.

It would be wise to use wind flags. Even if you don't know how to use them, I would suggest learning as you go if anyone is doing what I'm doing. Next trip out the wind flags go with me!

Again, I really enjoy this kind of shooting!
smile.gif

Well I got on the ATV for some back country shoot with my Dad this weekend. Stuff had to be done around the cottage in the morning so we didn't head out until about noon. It was such a calm morning but the wind picked up and was a little gusty with light rain showers moving in.

We set up the new target rig and hung the AR500 plate. I mil dot ranged it off both the 7"x4.5" plate, and also between the leg of the stand that were 40" and came up with 200 yards. The wind was about 10mph (I think. Still learning, I think a wind meter would be helpful.) but gusty from about 4:30.

Well it took about half a box to get the first hit. We only had a grassy hill behind and it was hard to spot the misses. About 5 yards in front there was a nearly vertical rock face the we could check wind holds (or settings on. ) The plate was only 4.5" wide. I think a lot of the shots must have just missed because we were really close everytime we went back to the rock. The best we could do was 3 in a row out of every 5 shots (5 shot clip). The best I could get out of the American eagle ammo at the range at 100 yards was about 1 to 1.5 MOA groups (5 shot) so the 4.5 inch target at 200 doesn't leave any room for wind error.

Just love the sound of hitting the steel though. I think a larger plate would be more useful in the learning process to spot the hits and getter a better wind feel.

My savage Mark II BTVS has a EGW Picatinny 20 moa rail on it for the scope and after were were done we flipped off the scope (Leupold QRW rings) and threw it on my browning a bolt 300 win mag, also with a an EGW 20 moa rail. The elevation settings are only about 6 MOA elevation and the wind 4 Moa change. I only had my 300 Win mag reduced loads with me. Sierra 150 grain HPBT(#2190) and 26.8 gr SR4759 chronoed and 1990 fps. Dialled those in and nailed the little plate dead centre at 200 yards first shot. Wacked it again second shot within an inch of the first (16X scope easy to see).

We packed up and moved to a different spot and re ranged it. 425 yards. To be honest here we each fired about 10 shots and I only hit one and my dad missed. When we checked it on the rock were close sometimes dead on some. Wind plating havos and 4.5" width target too small for me. The reduced loads didnt even make a scratch on the AR500 plate, impressive.

We then had a rock wall that we thought was about 200 yards further behind the target. I only brought charts for 400 yards so had to guess on come up and was really close. based on the come up, range estimation and known scope error to real world MOA I reversed calculated the range to be about 625.

The rain was coming so we had to get going but we were able to pick out hits easily on the face. The last 2 shots hit the same spot about 1 foot high on centerline from the aimpoint. The wind was dropping off by this point. I was happy. With full loads a lot less wind and drop to deal with so next time.

All in all a great day. Burned through about 200 22 rounds and 40 300 win mag rounds. I know the 22 shooting is helping me. Cant wait to get out again.

Joe, Do you remember how many clicks up you had to come. My rifle is sighted at 50 yds and I am going to go to 200 yd range when I get time. Would like to be in ballpark with clicks.

Thanks

Joe,
Disreguard the other post I put in asking you about clicks up. If I would have read it all the way through I would see you said 21 minutes up. Hopefully that will get me in the proximity of the bull.

Thanks

Morning VTR,

The 21 minutes up was just ball park. This morning when I was out shooting at 200 yards I had to come up from a 50 yard zero - 24 Minutes with the Eley Sport (1085 fps).

The time before this morning's outing, I had to come up 26 Minutes. I'm assuming that was because of the heavy humidity (80% - 90%+) as compared to this morning's 60%+ humidity, though it seems less then what it says it is officially for today at this time on the computer weather.

I'm actually thinking when things dry up around here where I live, which usually happens in July, my 200 yard dope will be closer to the 21 minutes of elevation.

Good luck and good shootin'!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe, Do you remember how many clicks up you had to come. My rifle is sighted at 50 yds and I am going to go to 200 yd range when I get time. Would like to be in ballpark with clicks.

Thanks </div></div>

Hey VTR, Joe is correct when moving from 50 yd zero to 200 hundred you need to dial up approximately 20 to 26 moa. I have found this to be true with my zeroes as well whether I use a scope or my redfield peep sights on my Remington 513T. The funny part depending which kind of subsonic ammo I use dictates the difference in adjustment. I started using cheap bulk stuff so that I can practice trigger control more.

By the way great posting and report Joe...good work.

Imurhuckleberry,
I'm going to range today and it's going to be humid. I'd heard that before about hunidity. I know in winter there is a diff. between summer on impact also. Thanks again for the info. I'm liking these .22 lr more and more every day. Sure makes you think when shooting with wind blowing.

I was able to get my 22 out to 200 the other day. Boy do I need more trigger time. For the ammo I was shooting (Federal Blue Box #510) it seemed like it wanted to always throw the first round after cooling just a little high & right. It didn't require very much time to cool down either. In the length of time it takes to remove & load a 5 rd. magazine re-insert & start shooting again at a normal pace would result in the thrown round. I loaded the mag & put one in the chamber, fired six times fairly rapid then reloaded with another in the chamber & fired six more rapidly. The result was 12 rds. in 4 3/8ths". Only one round was slightly high & right but not by near as much as before. Next week I'll do some more testing. This was just to get a new to me scope mounted. From the 50 yd. zero it was 6.5 to 7 Minutes to 100 & another 20-21 minutes to 200. Not exact but close enough to get me on paper.

Once you have dialed in to 200 yds anything you do wrong will be amplified at that distance. This is why it is crucial to always focus on your basic technic, such as breathing sight alignment, and trigger control. I notice yesterday while I was shooting at skeet traps placed against the berm that a sudden increase of wind gust from ten to approximately 13 to 15 mph carried my bullet 8 to 10 inches. This was determined by windflags set up by a bench rest shooter. I like to place the skeet traps on the berm because this allows me to see where bullet impact occurs whether it is high,low,left or right. Where I shoot at the wind always swirls when it was coming at me it would push the bullet down or when it was from by back it would push it up. I also noticed as mentioned that an increase of 3 to 5 mph in wind moved my impact by 8 to 10 inches. I shoot about 2 or 3 times a week now for the last 2 months and have noticed my skill getting better I am getting better but still have a long way to go.

Yes, I definitely have to concentrate on form & function. Since the bullet has more bbl. time than a centerfire follow through is most important. I also noticed that the rifle was not back on target after the shot. Bad news for precision shooting. UPS brought me a new to me rest yesterday so I'll have better stuff next time. I have always tried to cover up a lack of talent with good equipment. Now I have a case of Federal #510 to practice with. It should be fun & I'll learn a lot.

The farthest I've shot w/ my .22 is 300yds, just a cheap mossberg 702 plinkster 3-9x and Fed HV ammo. I was able to find my holdover and hit a 11x17 target on average 7 or 8 out of 10 times. Definitely not easy though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The farthest I've shot w/ my .22 is 300yds, just a cheap mossberg 702 plinkster 3-9x and Fed HV ammo. I was able to find my holdover and hit a 11x17 target on average 7 or 8 out of 10 times. Definitely not easy though. </div></div>

That is some great shooting, my range only goes to 200, 230 at the berm.

VTR, do you have a Range Report for us? Always look forward to hearing when someone has broken the 200 yard barrier - so to speak.
smile.gif

Joe,
I don't have a range report yet as the wind was up. I switched scopes out and got fine crosshairs on my Burris and 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4" clicks. Should be able to shoot better with fine crosshairs. I'm off 4 days next week and should be able to get some shooting done. Thanks Again VTR

Today was the first chance I had to try my MkII BTVS at 200 yards. We have a 12" or so round gong hanging at that range.

I was really testing some different ammo on the SH "Practical" targets, but didn't want to sully the target with my "foulers" between ammo lots.

I decided that instead of wasting the ten or so to foul out the barrel I would try my luck at the 200 yard gong. It was actually very easy as long as I paid attention to the wind.

26.5 MOA got me there with Federal Gold Metal Match .22 on 95*+ day. Wind was 2-5mph shifting between 1/2 and full value.

Now it appears I am going to have to get my little spinner out there and have a real challenge.

Additionally the CentrePoint scope I am using appears to be completely adequate for this purpose.

LoneWolfUSMC,

I've been trying to get the folks on RFC to try shooting past 25 or 50 yards for months. None of them believe me when I posted that Aries64 and I can both powder 1"-2" pieces (yes we measure the pieces using a tape measure we bring along for this very reason) of broken clays at 200+ yards with my nearly bone stock 10/22T.

Shooting at 200 yards with a 10/22T is a lot like shooting at maybe 700+ yards with a .308. Shooting at 300 yards with a .22LR is a lot like shooting 1,000 yards with a .308. I'm shooting a stock 10/20T action drooped into a B&C Varmint/Tactical stock with EGW MOA base and Glenn Seekins bitch'n rings and a prototype Falcon 5.5-25x56 FFP scope. The only hang up is that due to the stupid Ruger 10/22 barrel retention method the barrel droops in relationship to the receiver and I'm all out of elevation adjustment at 250 yards and have to hold over about 6 mils from my 200 yard dial to get out to the 300 yard steel. The amazing thing is that I can stay on the 300 yard steel all day long using this setup and Wolf MT. This problem will go away once I screw a Lothar Walther barrel blank into the receiver.

Aries64 had Randy at CPC setback his brand new KIDD barrel, threaded and screwed the new barrel into an MOA receiver and with the same type EGW 20MOA he cannot zero at anything less than 100 yards now. Which IMO is just fine seeing that we tend to shoot 100 yards as the closest of targets.

Cheers/Chip

LoneWolfUSMC,

200 yards is good and it only gets better from there on out for the challenge. I've been continually reducing my metal swinger sizes at 200 yards, while also ranging out further. Right now at 200 yards I'm using a 6x8 inch metal gong, and I'll reduce further - the next being 4x6 inches. At 250 yards I'm now shooting the 8x10 inch metal gong, and once 200 yards is solved, 250 will be next to work that 8x10 swinger down in size.

Yoag/Chip,

I hear you on RFC. Seems they don't care much about shooting past 25 & 50 yards, but that's o'kay. A person is going to get the good Dope here at Sniper's Hide when it comes to this type of long range .22LR shooting. I've always felt SH has been the leader in this area since I first came here.

I like the comparison of the .308/.22LR Subsonic ammo you make. My approach has been strictly .22LR and what it will do (target shooting) wise at these ranges discussed - out to 300 yards.

I know there are several here who use this .22LR Subsonic ammo to train for their .308 shooting because of the comparison. And that in itself makes for for some very interesting reading here at SH.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
....Aries64 had Randy at CPC setback his brand new KIDD barrel, threaded and screwed the new barrel into an MOA receiver and with the same type EGW 20MOA he cannot zero at anything less than 100 yards now. Which IMO is just fine seeing that we tend to shoot 100 yards as the closest of targets.

Cheers/Chip</div></div>
Just for clarification, the scope I have been using is a 1" tube Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40 A.O w/Duplex reticle and 1/4 MOA coin clicks. According to Leupold literature, my scope (Leupold Part #53539) has 66 MOA total Elevation adjustment. <span style="font-style: italic">Theoretically</span>, thats' 33 MOA "Up" and 33 MOA "Down" at 100 yards, but we all know theory and actual use are different animals.

Dialed all the way down and using Winchester T22 I'm still about 2 MILs/7.2" high at 100 yards, and I can dial well beyond 200 yards. In fact, IIRC, I'm only about 3.5 MILS low at 300 yards. I screwed-up and didn't log <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> into my data book for my 10/22s'. Just for kicks I'm going to mount a S & B 5-25X PMII DT LP Gen 2 XR CCW on my MOA 10/22. I should be able to zero at 50 and dial to 300 that way. Plus, I love the Gen 2 XR for holds! I've been waiting for some Seekins Highs for over a month now...

Keith

I think it's about time I grab some steel scraps and weld up some .22 gongs.

I will say that the "SH Practical" targets make for some fun at 50 yards and with a 14x scope provide instant feedback. Once I find ammo that I am happy with I think it's going to be a real test of the fundamentals.

The hesitation to venture past 25-50 yards is probably due to the old hardware vs. software solution. When you start to get out there even a benchrest quality .22 is going to get it's butt kicked by the wind. When that happens it's the skill of the driver that is going to make it or break it. Precisely why I love this.

My practice regimen for FV200 centerfire involves shooting the same target off the bench at 50yd with a .22LR. I'd do prone, but the grass is usually only mowed within a day or few before the match, and to be honest, I hate the prone position, just getting kinda old to be doing that stuff with genuinely eager relish. Oldfartosis, etc. Once in awhile, when I'm feeling lucky and the wind is zip; I try it at 100yd. I consider the realistic proportionate distance to be 1:4 when substititing the rimfire for the centerfire. I will peck away at the 200yd gong sometimes, but that's really just plinking.

Greg

I could tell ya, but then I'd haveta shoot... myself.

Best advice is to lookup FV200 in the S-3 forum, where it's been covered to death.

Basically it's a 200yd prone Odessa club match, 40 rounds plus unlimited sighters, two twenty-round stages plus unlimited sighters, 30 minutes per stage. Rules follow F Class, Open and F T/R, target is a club designed V-style target. 1" white V ring, 2" gray 5 ring, all other rings white with black border, 4" 4 ring, 6" 3 ring, remainder of 8 1/2" x 11" landscape oriented target within 1/2" margin is worth 2. Three targets posted, a sighter target and 2 scoring targets, no pit service, possible is 200/40V. Not as easy as most believe when they first try it.

Greg