• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reaching out to 1500 (edit:1763) yards and excited about the results.

JBarton

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Wyoming
I have been working on fundamentals and shooting better since this spring. I purchased a custom 300WM from the PX and soon after I bought a Bergara HMR B14 Wilderness in 6.5 creedmoor. I also started down the reloading path later this summer. Im hooked and want more.
I have managed to put 2500 rounds downrange mostly at 500 yards and under, working on the basics. I've been able to dial in my loads for both rifles and am consistently shooting under 1/2 moa 5 round groups off of the bench. I am sure I have some bad habits with no guidance or critique.
I have recently been working on prone shooting past 500 yards with great success. I started at 750 yards on a 11x12 plate and moved out to 966 yards in the wonderful Wyoming wind. A couple weekends ago I pushed out to 1110 yards and managed a 1st round hit followed up with 11 out of 15 on target with my 300WM shooting 220gr ELDX at 2858fps. Target size again is 11x12 inches. I am not doing so good with my 6.5 creedmoor past 1k but have been pretty happy with the results. Im shooting 140gr hornady match bthp at 2740fps with about a 75% hit rate. Man does the wind push that 140gr bullet around.
Last weekend I made a 20x20 inch ar plate target and shot both my 300WM and 6.5 at 1110 yards Saturday with awesome results. No real wind this past weekend helped im sure. Sunday I stretched out to 1500 yards with my 300WM and I made a second round impact. The 300WM made 3 hits on the first 5 shot string. I made some minor adjustments and put 5 out of 5 on target. I was pretty excited. I drove down and verified my hits (no spotting scope or spotter) and sure as shit i had 8 hits on the target. By then it was getting late so I only had time to shoot one more 5 round string with 5 more hits on target. Totally satisfied with the results for sure.
Am I reaching the limits of my 300WM? My goal is 1 mile with it.
Im building a 300PRC with a 2k yard goal but probably won't have it built until spring.
On a side note. I don't think the 6.5cm is doing me any good past 1k. Maybe with some training and more rounds down range I could squeeze a little more out of it.

See pictures of my hits at 1500 yards below.
20201206_155837.jpg
20201206_155648.jpg

20201206_215025.jpg

Last edited:
Uhmmmm, you should be excited about that! That is phenomenal!

First round hits - what ballistics app are you using?
I haven't been able to get the 4dof elevation hold to match up to what I'm shooting. I figured the amount it was off when shooting at 750 and 966 yards. I subtracted the difference when I went to 1110 and it was spot on. It was 0.3 mils off using the same math on my first shot at 1500. I wound up holding 13.3 up and 0.6 right for wind. Im thinking some luck was at play. I do need to check my scope again to make sure it is tracking good still..
I am also planning on getting a kestrel with applied ballistics. All in due time.

4dof gives me trouble too, but I don’t have enough experience to know why. Elevation? IDK.
I have my own charts that work better. Just started with scoped weapons this past year and can shoot pretty decent out to 1100 yards with my 6.5, but when the Utah desert winds pick up, which is too often, I struggle. My new Trigger Tech trigger made a big difference. Love it.
I am hooked! Hopefully I’ll be shooting like you down the road. Keep shooting and keep posting!

OP,
Have you adjusted your axial form factor?

On the App, it defaults to 1.00. My shots were a bit low until I adjusted mine to .95 and now they are spot on out to 1k (as far as I tested yesterday).

Make sure your velocity is correct on the input and then adjust the form factor.

BTW, great shooting.

You've got some more distance to go before you run out of oomph on your Creed. You can do 2k on steel with that 300.

Reactions: lash and JBarton
You have room to go with both calibers.
If you are reloading then you can push them pretty far out. You may need to look at your loads as you go out further though. Also keep in mind where you started, your doing good!!!

Once you pass that 1000 or 1250 yds area and start into 1500 to 1750 bc and speed are critical.

Wind is always harder to read the further you go and it has more time to affect the bullet.

I have been working on fundamentals and shooting better since this spring. I purchased a custom 300WM from the PX and soon after I bought a Bergara HMR B14 Wilderness in 6.5 creedmoor. I also started down the reloading path later this summer. Im hooked and want more.
I have managed to put 2500 rounds downrange mostly at 500 yards and under, working on the basics. I've been able to dial in my loads for both rifles and am consistently shooting under 1/2 moa 5 round groups off of the bench. I am sure I have some bad habits with no guidance or critique.
I have recently been working on prone shooting past 500 yards with great success. I started at 750 yards on a 11x12 plate and moved out to 966 yards in the wonderful Wyoming wind. A couple weekends ago I pushed out to 1110 yards and managed a 1st round hit followed up with 11 out of 15 on target with my 300WM shooting 220gr ELDX at 2858fps. Target size again is 11x12 inches. I am not doing so good with my 6.5 creedmoor past 1k but have been pretty happy with the results. Im shooting 140gr hornady match bthp at 2740fps with about a 75% hit rate. Man does the wind push that 140gr bullet around.
Last weekend I made a 20x20 inch ar plate target and shot both my 300WM and 6.5 at 1110 yards Saturday with awesome results. No real wind this past weekend helped im sure. Sunday I stretched out to 1500 yards with my 300WM and I made a second round impact. The 300WM made 3 hits on the first 5 shot string. I made some minor adjustments and put 5 out of 5 on target. I was pretty excited. I drove down and verified my hits (no spotting scope or spotter) and sure as shit i had 8 hits on the target. By then it was getting late so I only had time to shoot one more 5 round string with 5 more hits on target. Totally satisfied with the results for sure.
Im building a 300PRC with a 2k yard goal but probably won't have it built until spring.
On a side note. I don't think the 6.5cm is doing me any good past 1k. Maybe with some training and more rounds down range I could squeeze a little more out of it.

View attachment 7495923View attachment 7495925
View attachment 7495933
You’d be surprised how far you can go.
A mile isn’t difficult at all if you’re prepared for it.
I reached 2500, 2800, 3000 and two miles with my 7mm this summer on reasonably sized targets.

View attachment 7495933

Congratulations! I assume you're in the high plains of Wyoming. If so, you probably realize your effective range is further than most peoples.

I looked up some old DOPE for my 256gr Flatlines during the summer, as an example.
At sea level, they are down to 1140PFS by 2150 y
In the Snowies that 1140 doesn't happen until just after 3,000y

Even at the 1400 yard range in Laramie, or about 23inHg (other than the wild wind), it is so much lower in drag that you are in effect shooting slipperier caliber and in some ways easier. Even my 6.5 is still zipping along at almost 1400fps at that target. I don't have the actual dope on it to a mile at that range but it still should be above the actual SB.

Also when it does get hot out, consider losing the bright orange on the plate, in the heat shimmer it appears fuzzy, making the ELR target a bit harder to cleanly bisect.

Bottom line, your WM assuming you're twisting it fast will make it easily 2K in Wyoming's Elevation (23inHg) sans the wind.

FWIW, I found 4DOF much harder to tune correctly than it should be. There were bugs when I last played with the program. For ELR not much is as good FFS or ColdBore; but you need clunky devices to use them. @THEIS is working on developing a new interface that uses the CB engine on IOS and Andriod. That will be exciting!

Last edited:
OP,
Have you adjusted your axial form factor?

On the App, it defaults to 1.00. My shots were a bit low until I adjusted mine to .95 and now they are spot on out to 1k (as far as I tested yesterday).

Make sure your velocity is correct on the input and then adjust the form factor.

BTW, great shooting.

You've got some more distance to go before you run out of oomph on your Creed. You can do 2k on steel with that 300.
I have my 300WM zeroed at 200 yards so at what distance should I shoot to adjust the axial form factor?

Congratulations! I assume you're in the high plains of Wyoming. If so, you probably realize your effective range is further than most peoples.

I looked up some old DOPE for my 256gr Flatlines during the summer, as an example.
At sea level, they are down to 1140PFS by 2150 y
In the Snowies that 1140 doesn't happen until just after 3,000y

Even at the 1400 yard range in Laramie, or about 23inHg (other than the wild wind) is so much lower in drag that you are in effect shooting slipperier caliber. Even my 6.5 is still zipping along at almost 1400fps at that target. I don't have the actual dope on it to a mile at that range but it still should be above the actual SB.

Also when it does get hot out, consider losing the bright orange on the plate, in the heat shimmer it appears fuzzy, making the ELR target a bit harder to cleanly bisect.

Bottom line, your WM assuming you're twisting it fast will make it easily 2K in Wyoming's Elevation (23inHg) sans the wind.

FWIW, I found 4DOF much harder to tune correctly than it should be. There were bugs when I last played with the program. For ELR not much is as good FFS or ColdBore; but you need clunky devices to use them. @THEIS is working on developing a new interface that uses the CB engine on IOS and Andriod. That will be exciting!
Im running a 26" 9 twist bartlein on my 300WM and using the berger twist rate calculator im in a good spot with the bullets ive been using.
I do have a question regarding a different bullet. Ive been strictly using 220gr ELDX for the past few months and 200gr eldx before that. Well they are extremely hard to find right now and I'm down to 150 bullets. I just picked up some 220gr lapua scenars and while working on the load I found that they shoot about 6" higher than the eldx do at the same velocity. Does it have to do with the bullet velocity?
I also need to find a class or someone to show me how to better understand the ballistics and how to calculate changes of the bc of my rounds based on my elevation. I have so much to learn.
To be honest all of you who respond and write posts here on the hide have been my biggest source of information.

What is the best color for elr? White?

Thank you
Jeremy

It must be nice to have places to shoot so far that are 'conveniently' located and not cost prohibitive. Here in central Florida the ELR options are limited.

Look up JTAC Ranch. It's on the west edge of Polk County. It's where I shoot.

Reactions: lash
I just picked up some 220gr lapua scenars and while working on the load I found that they shoot about 6" higher than the eldx do at the same velocity. Does it have to do with the bullet velocity?
I also need to find a class or someone to show me how to better understand the ballistics and how to calculate changes of the bc of my rounds based on my elevation. I have so much to learn.

Everything else being equal (same atmospheric conditions, muzzle velocity) this implies that the real world BC of the Scenar is slightly higher than the ELDX.

BC does not change due to elevation changes (It does change with velocity changes). Changes of elevation (atmospheric conditions) definitely afflict drop. That's why God invented ballistic apps. I like Strelok Pro.

I have my 300WM zeroed at 200 yards so at what distance should I shoot to adjust the axial form factor?

I zero at 100 and shot out to 800 to do try vs actual dope.
Made adjustments and it was spot on. Ran shots from 300-1k as a test and all is good so far.
Going back out tomorrow with @lash and @8pointer to sling more freedom seeds.

Everything else being equal (same atmospheric conditions, muzzle velocity) this implies that the real world BC of the Scenar is slightly higher than the ELDX.

BC does not change due to elevation changes (It does change with velocity changes). Changes of elevation (atmospheric conditions) definitely afflict drop. That's why God invented ballistic apps. I like Strelok Pro.
I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

I zero at 100 and shot out to 800 to do try vs actual dope.
Made adjustments and it was spot on. Ran shots from 300-1k as a test and all is good so far.
Going back out tomorrow with @lash and @8pointer to sling more freedom seeds.
I will echo Mike's experience and happened to luck out that 1.0 was bang on for me from 500 to 800 then 900 and 1000. Hope I get the plate clear today wanna go shoot in the morning

You should be able to get to 1 mile with that 300 win mag, but it might take a different bullet. There really is not much different in 300 win mag and 300 PRC in velocity. The eldx are hunting bullets so you are trading bc for terminal performance (thicker jacket, less dense for its size). 225 Eldm, 220 Berger long range hybrid target, sierra 230 mk should all get you there easier than the eldx. Bc is king at that range. Great shooting.

Reactions: culater
You should be able to get to 1 mile with that 300 win mag, but it might take a different bullet. There really is not much different in 300 win mag and 300 PRC in velocity. The eldx are hunting bullets so you are trading bc for terminal performance (thicker jacket, less dense for its size). 225 Eldm, 220 Berger long range hybrid target, sierra 230 mk should all get you there easier than the eldx. Bc is king at that range. Great shooting.
I'm trying out the 220gr lapua scenars I just got. I'm in the process of verifying my load and hopefully by this weekend I will have it dialed in. I have thought about trying the 230's seeing how the 220's are performing so well for me.
I am also starting to run low on powder right now too. I was running the H4831sc up until last month but was not able to get the velocities I wanted with the 220gr bullets(2795-2810fps). I was pretty happy with it running 200gr bullets. Luckily I got my hands on 10 lbs of H1000 and increased my velocities and accuracy. That 10lbs is now down to 5lbs. So at 75.8gr of powder per round that leaves me with enough to load and shoot about 460 rounds.
At what time in the barrel life do you stop trying new bullets and powders? I'm at 1240 rounds. It seems that all I have been doing is work on loads from changing powders, brass, primers and bullets. Granted I am still new to all of this and probably load more test rounds than I need, but I feel that the more data you can get, the more accurate your results will be. I've settled on a decent load at a decent node almost 1 grain wide with good accuracy (1/2moa or less). Right now with the eldx my average speed 2858 fps with the colder temps. I don't have my data in front of me but I believe my average ES is under 15. I would have to go through all of my data and find actual but I have been able to keep it in the low teens. I think the scenars will be able to be pushed a little faster depending on the accuracy with less powder so that will help.

At what time in the barrel life do you stop trying new bullets and powders? I'm at 1240 rounds. It seems that all I have been doing is work on loads from changing powders, brass, primers and bullets.

In the grand scheme of LRP (and ELRP) barrels are a fairly cheap consumable. I always try to have a new barrel on order/ready to go when "it's time".

If you have something that is working I'd stop looking for a hair more performance with that many rounds on your barrel and the scarcity of reloading supplies. Again, you're in Wyoming- with that bullet .65g1 at 2850fps and 9 twist you’ll have no issue at a mile other than wind and optical stuff. Depending on where in Wyoming he's going to be using something close to 19mils, but still have plenty of speed. Heck even at 2k, you'll not have been transonic for too much time.

I’d really encourage you to start using 100-yard zeros. You will not have any holdunders, your zero will be more accurate or at least easier to verify. You’ll also have more consistent dope across various calibers with a consistent zero distance and you’ll probably memorize most of your near-range drop data. For instance, you'll find it really simple, just to use the reticle, use .5 for 200 thru 250 (it probably actually like .4 and .6), 300 use 1 mil, if you are concerned about no possibility to adjust for a surprise encounter. That said, once past 100yards you're almost always going to have time to range, check your dope card and hold or dial a very accurate solution.

With a 200y zero and 50 thru 190 are various holdUNDERS, then 300y is holdOVERS like .6ish. I hope this seems confusing because that's exactly what long-range zero does. Many zero stops, do not play well with holdUNDERS

Since this is also your hunting gun, I’m assuming you’re using something with adjustable turrets and a modern reticle. If so you’ll find that at whatever distance you dial, you're now zeroed:) Meaning that if for some reason you feel better with 150 yards zeroed and ready to go, or 2oo, just spin the turret. Just remember that you'd need to continue to do so for longer ranges.

Last edited:
I'm trying out the 220gr lapua scenars I just got. I'm in the process of verifying my load and hopefully by this weekend I will have it dialed in. I have thought about trying the 230's seeing how the 220's are performing so well for me.
I am also starting to run low on powder right now too. I was running the H4831sc up until last month but was not able to get the velocities I wanted with the 220gr bullets(2795-2810fps). I was pretty happy with it running 200gr bullets. Luckily I got my hands on 10 lbs of H1000 and increased my velocities and accuracy. That 10lbs is now down to 5lbs. So at 75.8gr of powder per round that leaves me with enough to load and shoot about 460 rounds.
At what time in the barrel life do you stop trying new bullets and powders? I'm at 1240 rounds. It seems that all I have been doing is work on loads from changing powders, brass, primers and bullets. Granted I am still new to all of this and probably load more test rounds than I need, but I feel that the more data you can get, the more accurate your results will be. I've settled on a decent load at a decent node almost 1 grain wide with good accuracy (1/2moa or less). Right now with the eldx my average speed 2858 fps with the colder temps. I don't have my data in front of me but I believe my average ES is under 15. I would have to go through all of my data and find actual but I have been able to keep it in the low teens. I think the scenars will be able to be pushed a little faster depending on the accuracy with less powder so that will help.
Sounds like you are on the right path. H1000 is a great choice, and with es numbers of less than 20 you are doing everything right at your reloading bench. I would stick with the scenars and eldx bullets with over 1000 down the tube. Your accuracy will start to drop off by 2000 rounds so shoot what you have at this point. both bullets are more than capable of great results. Whenever that barrel is shot out, get a new one try out the 230 bullets.

Reactions: JBarton
In the grand scheme of LRP (and ELRP) barrels are a fairly cheap consumable. I always try to have a new barrel on order/ready to go when "it's time".
My problem is I have dumped so much money into both rifles and my reloading equipment. I have also been putting money into my 300 PRC build. Im in the process of putting back some money for that barrel. I have an Archimedes action with a triggertech trigger and a KRG X-ray chassis. My 300WM is currently sitting in the X-ray.
By summer I plan on having spare barrels on hand for all of my rifles. I am also planning on trying to shoot some competitions next summer if everything goes my way.

If you have something that is working I'd stop looking for a hair more performance with that many rounds on your barrel and the scarcity of reloading supplies. Again, you're in Wyoming- with that bullet .65g1 at 2850fps and 9 twist you’ll have no issue at a mile other than wind and optical stuff. Depending on where in Wyoming he's going to be using something close to 19mils, but still have plenty of speed. Heck even at 2k, you'll not have been transonic for too much time.

I’d really encourage you to start using 100-yard zeros. You will not have any holdunders, your zero will be more accurate or at least easier to verify. You’ll also have more consistent dope across various calibers with a consistent zero distance and you’ll probably memorize most of your near-range drop data. For instance, you'll find it really simple, just to use the reticle, use .5 for 200 thru 250 (it probably actually like .4 and .6), 300 use 1 mil, if you are concerned about no possibility to adjust for a surprise encounter. That said, once past 100yards you're almost always going to have time to range, check your dope card and hold or dial a very accurate solution.

With a 200y zero and 50 thru 190 are various holdUNDERS, then 300y is holdOVERS like .6ish. I hope this seems confusing because that's exactly what long-range zero does. Many zero stops, do not play well with holdUNDERS

Since this is also your hunting gun, I’m assuming you’re using something with adjustable turrets and a modern reticle. If so you’ll find that at whatever distance you dial, you're now zeroed:) Meaning that if for some reason you feel better with 150 yards zeroed and ready to go, or 2oo, just spin the turret. Just remember that you'd need to continue to do so for longer ranges.
Makes sense and setting both rigs up at a 100 yard zero would make things easier. Currently the scope on my 300WM can go down 0.5 mils from zero which covers me to 100 yards. It is a Strike Eagle.

My problem is I have dumped so much money into both rifles and my reloading equipment. I have also been putting money into my 300 PRC build. Im in the process of putting back some money for that barrel. I have an Archimedes action with a triggertech trigger and a KRG X-ray chassis. My 300WM is currently sitting in the X-ray.
By summer I plan on having spare barrels on hand for all of my rifles. I am also planning on trying to shoot some competitions next summer if everything goes my way.
Keep spending!!!!! Your not even in the rabbit hole yet!!!!!!
Seriously the money just keeps flowing the further you go out once you start chasing..
@Steel head has taken a pretty good path from what I have read. He would be a good one to listen to "on the journey"

I would like to thank you all for your help, guidance and information. This community is awesome.

Reactions: kyzim311
Lol
You can do a mile fairly cheap.
I did it with my 260 at a moderate cost.
It starts getting expensive pretty fast past 2000
As you start getting issues with getting enough elevation along with spotting with is helped a lot with heavier bullets and that ramps up the cost as well.
ELR isn’t cheap.

Reactions: camotoe
Lol
You can do a mile fairly cheap.
I did it with my 260 at a moderate cost.
It starts getting expensive pretty fast past 2000
As you start getting issues with getting enough elevation along with spotting with is helped a lot with heavier bullets and that ramps up the cost as well.
ELR isn’t cheap.
No it is not cheap. Ive spent more money this year on rifles, reloading equipment, optics and gear than I believe I have over the past 15 plus years. Im just getting started!
Hell im going to have to get a second job at the local Sportsman's Warehouse just to help me spend more money..at a discount.

No it is not cheap. Ive spent more money this year on rifles, reloading equipment, optics and gear than I believe I have over the past 15 plus years. Im just getting started!
Hell im going to have to get a second job at the local Sportsman's Warehouse just to help me spend more money..at a discount.
It’s certainly not a cheap hobby!

Nice shooting.

For an ELR ballistics computer, look at the X Ring.

For a round, look at the 30-28 Nosler over the PRC. Or the 300NM...love mine

Reactions: camotoe

I hear you Diver, hopefully Theis will have running Genesis soon. Looking forward to put my hands on the Android version. Have already updated CB to share files with Genesis, great news!

Reactions: Diver160651
I am loading up some rounds tonight and hopefully the snow blows over by sunday so I can run out to 1500 again. I might be able to stretch out a little further but not sure. Before I do anything I am going to re-zero and shoot out to 500 yards and adjust my axial form factor on my 4dof app. I will post if it corrects my discrepancy I have been dealing with. I might try the Strelok ballistic app and see how it compares to what I have been using.

Reactions: LastShot300
Well it was cold a s hell today so I went ice fishing. No wind and all I could think about is i should have been shooting.
I have a problem...
I loaded up some 220gr scenars yesterday and should have the powder charge dialed in at 0.2 grains under my eldx load. I set them the same distance off the lands as my eldx load (0.025"). What kind of jump do the scenars like?
My next question is should I purchase a bullet pointing die to use on the bthp's? I've been thinking about getting one for my 6.5cm rounds. Will I see a noticeable result pointing my bullets? Will it be worth the expense or should I focus my funds on say an induction annealing unit? I can't afford the amp so I was going to make one. It will cost about as much to make as what a bullet pointing die would cost.

Made it to 1488! Hope to reach out to a mile next trip with the 6.5 prc
Thats awesome. I haven't been able to get back out, going on 2 weeks. The weather has been holding me back. It is looking like I should be good for the weekend though.
How good did you do at that distance with the 6.5 PRC? Also what bullet are you using?

View attachment 7495933
That’s fantastic! 🤘🏼