• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reactive targets at 2k

6Dasher

Minuteman
Apr 25, 2005
Netherlands
Hi.

Does anyone have ideas how to make a steel/reactive target that will tell you you've hit it for use at 1500m tot 2500m.

I was thinking of using a steel plate and detecting vibration from the hit to trigger a flashing light for 10 seconds. Any other ideas? I can get steel here and have it cut, just need a way to tell if I have hit it.

Re: Reactive targets at 2k

I think its more a question of what you want to spend. There are now several on-line site taht will sell you a camera system that shows your target from a distance (not sure how close they sit to the target) and you can see real time teh hits and misses. Let me see if I have their links ahandy.

Otherwise I have no difficulty seeing hits on my steel plate target out to a mile. Not been beyond that so far to see a hit...lol

I paint the steel flat white and hits show easily on the white background.

Here is one shot from 1,500 with my 7WSM and my brother's 248 Winchester.

1500yards.jpg

JeffVN

I want to see the hits from the shooting position, ie through the (spotting)scope.

Here is a link for a little while ago with Ideas.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...302#Post1668302

The Falsher Idea works really well if you only want to tell if you hit it or not. Seeing inpacts at those distances is going to be tough.

We were shooting at 1500 and with just 20 power scopes we could see hits, and hear the impact. Could not call where the hit was on the plate, but you could see the plate swing.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!!!!

Thanks everyone for posting links!

with a decent scope, you should be able to see the bullet impact through your rifle scope. I can see throught both of my Nightforce and Leupold Mk IV scope the bullet impacts at 1900 yards easily. Target was metal gong painted white. ($ 0.99 per white paint can).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.flashtarget.com/ </div></div>

thats interesting...might help out a bit and is a ton cheaper that the 2.4ghz wireless system we have. Using scopes it is common for us to have problem seeing hits on steel at 1k due to heavy mirage and depending on wind conditions we might not even hear the hits.

That's precisely why I would like to see some sort of signaling through a scope or spotting scope. On a good day you may be able to see the black stains on the white plate, but we do not have so many good days that I can always see my shots
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flying Dutchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi.

Does anyone have ideas how to make a steel/reactive target that will tell you you've hit it for use at 1500m tot 2500m.

I was thinking of using a steel plate and detecting vibration from the hit to trigger a flashing light for 10 seconds. Any other ideas? I can get steel here and have it cut, just need a way to tell if I have hit it.

</div></div>

Awesome idea! Instead of vibration try a microphone, coupled to a peak detection circuit and a timed strobe light. Might not be too hard to pull off.

Why not a swinger target. There is a defensive edge video showing 1600 yd hits on what looks like a swinger with a large counter balance weight on the bottom you can see it here start it at 7:55 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo

Cheap Walkie Talkie set...
Mercury switch out of Thermostat in house

Open up first walkie Talkie, solder lead wire to each side of the Push to Talk Switch, and Close the circuit for the "Call" feature. Connect both PTT leads to the wires on mercury switch, then attach switch to target (Velcro works fine at them ranges)

When you have Impact the mercury closes the PTT circuit and sends the "Call" Tone to second radio...

If your having Zombie issues,,,,
Same rig works well for trip wires in your AO by replacing the mercury switch... solder the leads to 2 pennies (Pre 82 work best) then Glue them to the inside of a cloths pin mouth... use a piece of plastic, like Milk jug to separate the contacts (pennies) string tied to the plastic so when the string is pulled, the plastic comes out and then circuit is closed... letting you know something is near.

That's pretty inventive - although you'd have to make sure that the mercury switch was not closed in the normal position of the target but would close when it was hit.

As for zombies - I live next door to a cemetery. I always have zombie issues, but I figure the screams of the first victims will alert me.
laugh.gif

I've used flash add-ons from www.flashtarget.com with good results. A few pointers: (1) the wires are vulnerable to being cut by ricochet (particularly on stoney ground), so putting them in a metal tube helps, (2) hook and loop tends to unzip (with .338LM) so also taping the switch helps.

Anybody ever tried a baby monitor near the target? Don't know if it would have the range.

What if you used the walkie talkie idea and put one down by your steel plate with a zip tie around the PTT button or solder that connection to keep it on the whole time and keep the other one by you and when you shoot you should here the impact through the walkie talkie.

Here in Finland the most common system in military training is jaster/janter device which knocks down after a hit. For hobby use we have been succesfully using a system equal to your flashtargets. There has been no difficulty in seeing the lamp even up to 2000m. With correct plate the system works very nicely. Of course the wires are always in danger, due bullets not hitting the target.

One problem in these cheap civilian flashtarget systems is to find the correct "tone", where the system reacts only to actual hits. Often it seems that the lamp goes on due ground and air shaking under the hit of 338.
This phenomena came evident to me as i had five targets at the range 300m, 385m, 400m, 450m and 500m. As i shot to the target at 400m all five lamps went on. The problem was solved by adjusting the device. After the adjustment the system did not react to 223rem or 308win if the shot was not dead center.

If money is no issue Kongsberg from Norway has a nice system .50 sniper electronic target.These systems give more info than whether you hit or not.

http://english.kme.no/nyheter/nyhet.asp?nyhet_ID=119

I am working on an adjustable vibration sensor that will screw on to the rear of the target and give a pulse to turn on a lamp or whatever.

I am picking up some 15mm (0.6") steel plates from the metal shop tomorrow and hopefully the parts will come in on tuesday so I can solder a PCB to try it out. If it works I will let you know.

I took one of those rubber exercise balls that are about 2 feet in dia. I was going to shoot it at 2000 to see how it deflated but didn't get to it. I will try this summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Finland the most common system in military training is jaster/janter device which knocks down after a hit. For hobby use we have been succesfully using a system equal to your flashtargets. There has been no difficulty in seeing the lamp even up to 2000m. With correct plate the system works very nicely. Of course the wires are always in danger, due bullets not hitting the target.

One problem in these cheap civilian flashtarget systems is to find the correct "tone", where the system reacts only to actual hits. Often it seems that the lamp goes on due ground and air shaking under the hit of 338.
This phenomena came evident to me as i had five targets at the range 300m, 385m, 400m, 450m and 500m. As i shot to the target at 400m all five lamps went on. The problem was solved by adjusting the device. After the adjustment the system did not react to 223rem or 308win if the shot was not dead center.

If money is no issue Kongsberg from Norway has a nice system .50 sniper electronic target.These systems give more info than whether you hit or not.

http://english.kme.no/nyheter/nyhet.asp?nyhet_ID=119
</div></div>

Holy Crap that's awesome...
This link's video is even better! You can see your groupings!
http://english.kme.no/nyheter/nyhet.asp?nyhet_ID=117

Dksd39 and I have been using 2.4ghz wireless TX/RX and have no problem out to 1 mile on our range. We started with some 1.2ghz units I had and had no problems using matching 12DB gain antennas. To go 1 mile we switched to 2.4ghz and matching 25db gain antennas. The TX unit is only one 1/2 watt and have no problems seeing hits and marks on steel. I'll get DKSD39 to poste some pixs.

Have used the flash targets in some matches we put on. Had them at 600 to 800 yd., the closer target hits could be seen. Worked great, took most of the spotter doubt out of calling hits. Ran the wires down back side of target stand behind armor plate and under the ground to strobe light.
AMU used this same setup at their 3 gun match for a 500 yd. sniper rifle stage.
Have also used a couple of old M-31 military targets that use the plastic target and vibration sensor, when hit they go down for 3 or 4 sec. then come back up. A 22 lr will put them down at 200 yd. Think they were around $350.00 and work off a 12 volt battery using an inverter.

All great ideas I think that anyone looking will find what they need here. I like the radio idea and will build one straight away, seeing as we have half a dozen laying around. Thanks for the great ideas...