• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reading calipers? o

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
Sorry in advance, but I was wondering if someone can edcuate me on reading Venier calipers. I am useing harbor freight digital. I know what the first number is (represents inches) but after the decimal what are they an what do they mean.
For example 2.8550 is ??
Also if someone can snap a pic an tell me what they are.
Thanks in advance

memo

Re: reading calibers?

Tenths, hundredths, thousandths. Most handloading only needs to be read out to the third decimal.

.tenths, hundreths, thousandths, ten toundandths of a inch

Terry

Watch this! I beleive that he explains it pretty good.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImnnBXGPjZ8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImnnBXGPjZ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

Dam you guys are fast. Thanks for the info
I know I will definately find it useful, along with all the other newbie roloaders.
Thanks again

memo

Not to be an asshole or anything this early on a Sunday morning but I was taught that stuff back in the 70's....in Grade School.

Damn......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be an asshole or anything this early on a Sunday morning but I was taught that stuff back in the 70's....in Grade School.

Damn...... </div></div>

Yea but he's from California.

anybody else find it ironic that the title of this thread says CALIBERS, when it obviously means CALIPERS, and it talks about education?

When my kid was in grade school I tried helping with that homework, surprizing what you either forget along the way or they have 'invented' since the 60's when I was in grade school.
wink.gif

There is alot we get 'taught' in school that unless we use it we lose it. Many guys had a foriegn language in school but the use after a few years goes to pot. Algebra for must of us was a waste of time. From time to time I think US History was as well seeing the many ahhh interesting takes "I have studied history" folks have on our past.

As far as what day of the week, a guy is what he is, the day wont change that asspect much
grin.gif

If you think that algebra has no use consider this:

How much do I have to take off the front of my Picatinny rail to get a 20 moa cant?

There are literally millions of other similar uses of basic algebra, geometry and trig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my kid was in grade school I tried helping with that homework, surprizing what you either forget along the way or they have 'invented' since the 60's when I was in grade school.
wink.gif

There is alot we get 'taught' in school that unless we use it we lose it. Many guys had a foriegn language in school but the use after a few years goes to pot. Algebra for must of us was a waste of time. From time to time I think US History was as well seeing the many ahhh interesting takes "I have studied history" folks have on our past.

As far as what day of the week, a guy is what he is, the day wont change that asspect much
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, but, but, BUT....Google's not that much difficult, even for a dumbass Californian.

"reading vernier calipers"

Took 0.16 seconds (that's one hundred and sixty thousandths of a second), to generate 34,000 hits.

Damn.................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah, but, but, BUT....Google's not that much difficult, even for a dumbass Californian.

"reading vernier calipers"

Took 0.16 seconds (that's one hundred and sixty thousandths of a second), to generate 34,000 hits.

Damn................. </div></div>

His calipers were digital .....

Sorry to cause such a bother to some..
A little background about myself, I am active duty Marine grunt from Texas.
I was hit with multiple IED stikes one which required me to have reconstructive surgery to my face an mend the broken bones in my skull, take out a small piece of my brain. My theraphy is to re-educate myself in lifes basics all over again.
I am now starting to get better an can finaly blink my right eye all the way. been almost 6 years since I was able to do so.
My face is still paralysed and have a hard time feeling when I get a good stock weld. I have lost the ability to taste food.
So if me asking for a little help, than I appreciate your time.
To those that actually help answer my question I appreciate your time.
Semper Fi.

memo

Might coulda alluded to that from the git go.

If you're legit, then I apologize for the tone of my response.

If you are not, then, shame.........

Don't worry I have no excuses for my inability at math, I am from California!!!

As one looks to starts the day, might as well finish the same way
wink.gif

I recall getting sideways a time or two mic'in cylinders while reboring them in engine overhauls.

I cant wait to watch the venomous responses to 'whats the best scope' or 'who makes the most accurate rifle'.

My favorite is 'who makes the best tacti-cool pants that dont make my office bound butt look big, yanno Spanks for wanks!'

Once again you prove beyond any shadow of a doubt...that you're not quite right.

Don't worry tho', we understand you really can't help it.

If the dude's faking it to glean sympathy, it ain't at all funny what he's posted.

If he's not, then I've already apologized......

Trip-
Whats this 'we' shit? You have a mouse in your pocket?
grin.gif

You came off as an ass. I had a bit of fun with it and we move on.

I like my name in here, I never claimed to be sane. Perhaps you would consider 'Snarky Grouch' and give people a heads-up.

Sweet Dreams