• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reading materials for truing and blue printing?

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
Anybody know of any books or articles on truing and blueprinting actions. I have about 75-80 reloading, gun and gunsmithing books and have'nt came across anything yet. I must admitt, I have not read everything but I did scan through most of what I got.

I thought about buying that Midway USA gun book library list that has most of better books listed and a review on them....

But since the Hide is slap full of expert smiths and long range shooters.... I figured I ask yall first.
cool.gif

Re: Reading materials for truing and blue printing?

These two books have some pretty good info.

* JOHN HINNANT: THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRECISION RIFLE BARREL FITTING

* STEVE ACKER: THE GUNSMITH MACHINIST

That Acker book, Gunsmiths machinist is on my list of books to get already. Ill have to add that Hinnant book. Thanks.

My excuse is that I'm new and I hate to ask such questions but here goes.

Is there a difference between trueing and blueprinting?

If there is,..I will ask what is truing and what is blueprinting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Streak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My excuse is that I'm new and I hate to ask such questions but here goes.

Is there a difference between trueing and blueprinting?

If there is,..I will ask what is truing and what is blueprinting? </div></div>

some people use either term to mean the same thing. in my opinion, truing is really what most of us are doing to remington actions. we are only removing enough material to square everything up. blueprinting would be machining everything to a predetermined spec/blueprint. again, just my opinion on the semantics of it.

Re: Reading materials for truing and blue printing

Mr Dixon, Thanks and I already saw them the other day after I saw you new shop photos I went straight to your web site!
cool.gif
Congrats and Good luck with your new upgrade, I hope you do well.

Re: Reading materials for truing and blue printing

* JOHN HINNANT: THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRECISION RIFLE BARREL FITTING

Bought this book for giggles from Brownell's and really find it somewhat crude in the way of "Precision" methods. In several cases he states that .001 runout/tolerance is "close enough"!!! Just my opinion though and his also!