• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ready to buy-need advice

502Chevelle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2014
Charlotte NC
Hey everyone, I’ve been researching, and need some advice. I’m going to get a new .22, I’m just having trouble deciding. It will NOT be a voodoo or Curtis. Nothing against them, it’s just not in the budget right now. I’ve been shooting a RPRR, and it’s been ok, but just ok. I need to step it up a notch. I’m really torn between the B-14r, and the CZ 457 like the AT-ONE. I know that there are some goodies out there for both. I have also looked at the Tikka, but it just isn’t grabbing me. Plan on running some local PRS style 22 matches, and want to have fun and do ok, but I’m good with ok. Experienced users of these please chime in with pluses and minuses. I need something to tip the scales. Me and this Ruger just aren’t in love with each other and I need to do something.

Have you tried either of your candidates? I would het a couple matches or even a range that caters to the precision rimfire people and ask if you can try a couple of these rifles, most will be fine. It comes down to how you and the rifle get along.

My wifes b-14r shoots along with my 1710hb anschutz kelbly edition pretty close and her b14r outdid my 455cz custom with MPA barrel (full mpa build) also with b14r you skip weird ass magazines. All the rifles mentioned are chassis or custom stocks but that can come later.. Also bergara is 700 rem footprint so if you DO ever put in a chassis the stuff fits a cf later.
CZs are great as long as its a 457 but the foot print is specific and unless you get l3i mags mags are a PITA to source. Really you cant go specifically wrong with either you mention but if you ever get a CF setup also the begara is closer.
bergera is also easier to swap on a 700 type trigger in for a better trigger over CZs setup IMHO.

Hey everyone, I’ve been researching, and need some advice. I’m going to get a new .22, I’m just having trouble deciding. It will NOT be a voodoo or Curtis. Nothing against them, it’s just not in the budget right now. I’ve been shooting a RPRR, and it’s been ok, but just ok. I need to step it up a notch. I’m really torn between the B-14r, and the CZ 457 like the AT-ONE. I know that there are some goodies out there for both. I have also looked at the Tikka, but it just isn’t grabbing me. Plan on running some local PRS style 22 matches, and want to have fun and do ok, but I’m good with ok. Experienced users of these please chime in with pluses and minuses. I need something to tip the scales. Me and this Ruger just aren’t in love with each other and I need to do something.
Sounds like you're already where you want to be. :p

If I were making this decision, I'd buy the B14R. Seems to have better options for upgrades down the road.

But then again I'd skip the B14R and get a Vudoo. :)

Reactions: 502Chevelle
I own a B14R carbon, and have owned a Cz 457 varmint precision chassis. The CZ has one aftermarket trigger that I know of, and I shot one (Timney single stage). It was very nice. I hear that quality aftermarket barrels for the CZ are easy to source and swap. I’m sure someone will correct me, but I understand the B14R barrel aftermarket is limited and the swaps are more complex.

It sounds like you will be with the rifle for a while - I would go CZ 457 MTR. I have competed against guys running those rifles, and they are very accurate with the right ammo.

I personally shoot a RimX, and have a second in my safe waiting tools to torque the new barrel to it. I have owned 2 Vudoos, 2 Kidd 10/22s, and an anschutz 1710. The RimX is my favorite, but I am at a stage in my life where money is not as tight as it once was. And I am a two stage trigger snob. I would probably still have my Cz if I could have fit the Bscar 2 stage trigger in the chassis without modifying the chassis.

I have a Vudoo, Custom CZ 457 and stock CZ 457MTR. The custom CZ with Lilja barrel shoots as good as the Vudoo with the MTR not far behind. The rifles you mentioned are all pretty good.

Last edited:
I’ve competed with a CZ 455, B14R steel, Anschutz, Vudoo 360, 457MTR, & a DPG 457. The 457 is my recommendation for the best mix of reliability, accuracy, and aftermarket. I would not get the AT-One though - the cheek rest is short, flimsy and sharp, and the butt pad has a lot of play at full extension. I am really liking this DPG 457 with Center-X. By far the most consistent and accurate I’ve ever had (only dropped 2 points last match), but all have been pretty good. First round flyer with the MTR was odd, and the Vudoo I had shot very mediocre when it worked.

I have 2 B14R's steel. The factory stocks are great. You get a 700 type action, 700 type trigger. The guns sit great on bi-pods. I put Trigger Tech Diamonds in both of mine.

Well, I just brought home a CZ VPT. I popped into a small lgs that I drive by a lot, and they happened to have one there. I handled it, and it felt pretty good. Scope is ordered, and should be here by the end of the week. I guess I need to call Area 419 and L3i and get ready to spend more money. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Well, I just brought home a CZ VPT. I popped into a small lgs that I drive by a lot, and they happened to have one there. I handled it, and it felt pretty good. Scope is ordered, and should be here by the end of the week. I guess I need to call Area 419 and L3i and get ready to spend more money. Down the rabbit hole I go.
Congrats! Just my opinion and a fair warning that the Area 419 rail is TALL! "I" couldn't make it work out for me so I chose the Diversified Innovative Products (DIP) rail instead. Been rock solid and about half as tall (and only about $50.00). Again, personal opinion but food for thought?

I’ve ran the DIP, MDT, and Area419 rails. Area 419 is super tall and the level is near useless for me, had to run taller rings than I wanted so the zoom ring on my scope would clear, as well as leave room for a Send-It level. MDT hardware is small, but it’s an otherwise solid rail. DIP uses set screws and pulls up on the dovetail - I’ve never been stoked about that design. All held zero just fine. Currently running the MDT on my DPG 457. I might see about doing a custom 40moa rail from Murphy and drilling & tapping my action for it.

Reactions: nikonNUT
If you go with the B14R, Murphy Precision makes a great rail. This one is 30moa, 8" long, plenty of room for an NX8 or ATACR
IMG_1879.jpeg

Reactions: nikonNUT
I’ve ran the DIP, MDT, and Area419 rails. Area 419 is super tall and the level is near useless for me, had to run taller rings than I wanted so the zoom ring on my scope would clear, as well as leave room for a Send-It level. MDT hardware is small, but it’s an otherwise solid rail. DIP uses set screws and pulls up on the dovetail - I’ve never been stoked about that design. All held zero just fine. Currently running the MDT on my DPG 457. I might see about doing a custom 40moa rail from Murphy and drilling & tapping my action for it.
I hear what you are saying about the DIP retaining system and I was leery at first but a touch of blue locktite and about 5 in/lbs on the grub screws has kept everything in place for several years now. The low scope over bore height is really nice when a squirrel attempts a sneak attack at 10 yards! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: BowChamp
Here’s a thought. For the price of a Bergara B14R, you can get a better barrel, trigger and chassis for your RPRR. That said, the B14r is the easy button and is upgradable in so much that is avaialble for Rem 700 compatible chassis, triggers, and other equipment.

The CZ is a CZ, from what I understand a nice rifle with a reliable magazine However a CZ and everything you purchase for it is always gonna be a CZ and only a CZ.

RimX and Vudoo are the ultimate choice. I probably would have purchased a B14r but for the 18 inch barrel. I needed a lighter rifle that could balance and shoot. An unexpected, one time windfall provided the funds to purchase a Vudoo and I never looked back.

However, now, I might surprise Brenda with a B14r.

So @502Chevelle aren’t all the choices and decisions a real heck of a fix?

I've got a lot of rounds from behind my T1x, I got one very early on and while I'm happy with my purchase (I shoot all Tikkas) if I were to do it again I'd probably got CZ.
The CZ457 is probably the safer option for reliability and accuracy, has all the accessories you need, and prefit barrels from the likes of lija if you want to try get more accuracy.
The Bergara B14r would be a good option if you think you'll plan to go Vudoo/RimX in the future as you'll be able to use any chassis/triggers you may or may not buy.

If the CZ 457 VPT was available in my country I'd buy a 24" model and not change a single thing on it.
If you go At-one you'll likely be wanting to upgrade in the future

I had a DIP on a CZ455 but later swapped it out for an Area 419. My main reason was I wanted more MOA in the base when I started to shoot further out and needed to be able to dial out to 400 yds.

IMO, the main advantage of the A419 base is the tension screws are on the side and accessible when the scope is mounted. DIP puts them on top, so basically not accessible when the scope was mounted and no way to tell if they are getting loose until it is too late. Yeah, the Area 419 is tall, but that just means you run lower rings If worried about how tall your scope sits.