• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ready to pull the trigger on reloading. few q's?

dmiller369

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
after alot of reading and youtube videos, im ready to buy a press. but would like someone knowledgeable to take a look before i buy.

right now i shoot 168gr smk's and would like to produce a round as close as possible to them. my rifle is a savage .308 with a 22" barrel and 1:10 twist.

this is what i plan on buying to mimic this round.

PRESS

Dies

Bullet

Federal match large primers and IMR 4895 and once fired SMK's brass from federal. also i made a home made tumbler and already have a caliper.

do i seem to be on the right track? is it a go ahead on the purchase? Any thing else? constructive critisisum is more than welcome but be nice completly new to this.

Re: ready to pull the trigger on reloading. few q's?

If you never plan on anything larger than 308 a RCBS partner press will do everything you need and nothing you don't, I would recommend Forster dies over the Lee ones you listed, and 175 SMK will fly to 1000 so there is really no reason to shoot a bullet that won't like the 168. Match primers simply cost more because of inspection they do, hence the added cost, my targets and chronograph tell me Plano Fed 210 do the exact same thing, 4895 is a tad temperature sensitive, Reloader 15 or Varget would be a better choice, read and re read the reloading stickies up top.

Assuming your brass is fire-formed to your rifle and you only plan on shooting in that rifle, I'd go with the <span style="font-style: italic">Lee Deluxe</span> die set. Just a few bucks more and it will greatly improve brass life and accuracy. It still comes with a FL die when you need it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148525/lee-deluxe-3-die-set-308-winchester

Personally, I'd do all my shopping from Midway. Great customer support and freaky fast delivery.

^^ What he said. If your only going to be shooting the brass out of the same rifle, go for for the deluxe kit. Otherwise, you might need a case trimmer over time. I would also invest in a nice beam scale as well. RCBS make a couple of nice ones.

OK so bullet points (no pun intended)
-switch to 175 gr.(10.00 more per 100 does any one where i can get 100 for 30)
-switch to lee deluxe dies
-Switch to re loader 15 or varget. which one is better. or is that like asking if ford dodge or chevy is best?

-as for the lee kit it comes with a scale and a trimmer. Is the scale not that great? and i know the trimmer is not the best.

-and these rounds are only for one specific rifle.I was planning on FL sizing every time but it seems this is not necessary. when do i full length size vs only neck size.

-Finally where can i read more about head space. i keep reading this and don't have a full understanding of it.

thanks for the great help so far kep it up.

I wouldn't worry about head space. Excessive head space is something to worry about but it's uncommon.

While you are considering all the suggestions, here's mine; Redding bushing dies.

The rest of it, get what you want, you will probably change your mind on components, everybody else does sooner or later but at least you will know why you have a preference.

Also, there's not a damned thing wrong with full length resizing, or "partially" FL resizing if you aren't ready for bushing dies.
BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't worry about head space. Excessive head space is something to worry about but it's uncommon.
</div></div>
Trust me on this....IT IT VERY COMMON for a new reloader to bump the shoulder back as far as .020.
Bottle neck center fire rifle cases with out a belt head space off the shoulder.

How far back are you bumping the shoulder on your cases?

For utmost versatility....Lee Pacesetter die set and buy an additional Lee collet NS die. The Deluxe die sets come with a dead-length bullet seater, FL & NS dies. The Pacesetter die sets come with standard bullet seater (you can adjust to use as DL seater or roll crimp seating purposes), FL & factory crimp dies. I shoot bolt gun so I've adjusted my standard seater out to use like a DL seater. Love those factory crimp dies. Great quality/value option.

I'd upgrade the scale to the classic cast, I think there's a kit for it, it's much more solid than the Lee challenger.

The Lee scale isn't that great, but it's sufficient, I have one and it always returns to zero and measures accurately.

As said above personally I would take a look at the rcbs kit. I started with the same lee kit as you have listed and the only thing I use from it is the press. The scale that comes with it is not worth using. If I could do it over again I would have bought the RCBS instead of the lee kit.

Walter

wburke2010 i understand that the lee kit is not the best by any means but is there any kit out there that will get me started for a reasonable price??i noticed the RCBS master kit is about double in price.

the thing i dont like about the lee kit is the trimmer and scale.

my needs are to be able to make a quality round with a lower start up cost. down the road im sure things will be swapt but im looking for the most bang for my buck to at least get started.

also i feel lie i have a complete understanding of head space now.

Savage- when I 'took the plunge' I bought a lee kit. For me the powder thrower and scale sucked. Bad. Powder leaked all over, and a mouse fart out in the garage would take the scale out of zero.

I took the whole mess back to Cabelas, bit the bullet (all puns intended) and spent the extra money on a RCBS kit.

The thing I liked about the the Lee Kit was the press; simple, strong, handles depriming very nicely; the lock in/lock out die bushings are cool too. While I really like what I have, I just wish there was a way to more effectively catch dead primers; they end up all over the place for me. But the RCBS scale and powder throw have made the investment more than worth it for me. (Emphasis placed on what works for me; your mileage may vary!)

I think reloading equipment is like good glass; buy once, cry once!

Reloading/handloading is wonderful hobby. I only wish I started doing it a long time ago! Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage168USAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK so bullet points (no pun intended)
<span style="color: #FF0000">-switch to 175 gr.</span>(10.00 more per 100 does any one where i can get 100 for 30)
-switch to lee deluxe dies
-Switch to re loader 15 or varget. which one is better. or is that like asking if ford dodge or chevy is best?</div></div>

If you do this, you'll have to change your screen name. And if you do that, Frank will kill a kitten.

I'm glad you now have a understanding of shoulder bump back and its relation to proper headspace.
Just 2 more comments.
First,
Over time you will find full length resizing your brass every time is the way to go.
So long as your die has been properly set out for the right amount of headspace the primer pocket will give out lone before the body/neck of the case.

Second,
When you get to the part where you are charging the case if you have any spilled powder clean it up immediately.
You then have to find out where this spilled powder came from.
Did you forget to prime a case?
Did you bump the charge block?
Did you miss the funnel?

I'm sure you get the idea, spilled powder is not good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage168USAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wburke2010 i understand that the lee kit is not the best by any means but is there any kit out there that will get me started for a reasonable price??i noticed the RCBS master kit is about double in price.

the thing i dont like about the lee kit is the trimmer and scale.

my needs are to be able to make a quality round with a lower start up cost. down the road im sure things will be swapt but im looking for the most bang for my buck to at least get started.

also i feel lie i have a complete understanding of head space now. </div></div>

Biggest bang for $$$....One of the Lee Challenger kits(with breech bushings). Decide if you want to prime on the press or hand prime. Yes the press is aluminum, but it was tested years ago against another popular cast iron press and it came back rated better. Search the net and you may find it. I've used it for 338 Win Mag with no issues. The Lee Safety scale is so easy to use. I don't understand why it gets a bad rap. I think some folks tend to be a little touchy about the fact that Lee produced a very sound and inexpensive quick-change bushing press before team green(s) and team orange. Please, no offense to anyone because every manufacturer out there produces great quality stuff.