• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Realistic Target Sizes?

Trung Si Ma

13F4P, Retired
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2021
Ft Sill, OK
This may be a better question for match directors, but like everything else on the Hide, everyone has a very public opinion and I’m interested in them.

I’m wondering what is the smallest steel target (in MOA) that can reasonably be hit by most shooters (75%-ish) and what are the smallest that can be reasonably engaged by the upper 25%? Please consider only prone supported (bipod and rear bag) or bench supported.

The NRA F-Class Small Bore Rifle rules in paragraph 19.4 specify the A-33 target at 100 yards which has a 1.054” 10-ring - basically 1MOA.

Looking at the 2023 COF’s on the NRL22 website, the smallest MOA targets that they required on targets of at least 100 yards was 1 MOA at 100 yards, 2 MOA at 200 yards, and the rest were at least 3MOA.

On page 19 of the excellent Midwest Precision Shooting Match Director’s Handbook, their recommendations for Prone Supported are:

WIND​
0-5 MPH​
5-10 MPH
(1.5x Min Size)​
10-20 MPH
(2x MIN SIZE)​
20+ MPH
(3x MIN SIZE)​
MOA​
MILS​
MOA​
MILS​
MOA​
MILS​
MOA​
MILS​
Prone Supported
1.5​
0.4​
2.25​
0.6​
3​
0.8​
2.5​
1.2​

I’m wondering if a 7.5” target at 500 yards is realistic given the capabilities of the .22LR round and on page 21 they recommend only going to 300 yards because “The goal here is to test the shooter and their gear – not their luck.”

Don

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Not trying to be a wise ass, but set a 7.5" target at 500 and shoot it on 4 different days and you will not need input.
Also, what is doable with 16 tw barrels may not mirror what a faster tw barrel can accomplish at 500 yards.
That said, I dick around, a lot, and if you offer 10 shots at it, maybe, 2 shots, forget it. Also, if the progression is from 450 - 500, chances are better, going 300 -500, not so much.

Obviously, I screwed up what I'm looking for by using the 500 yard example.

What I'm looking for are recommendations for target size at various distance, i.e.: (numbers are for demonstration only at this point)

Range Lower 75% Upper 25%
100 yards 1.5MOA .5MOA
200 yards 3 MOA 1MOA
300 yards 4MOA 2MOA
400 yards 6MOA 2.5MOA
500 yards 8MOA 3MOA

Reactions: patriotnation
Most people won't have the required elevation for 500 yards with a 22LR.
There was an ELR style 22LR match near me last year, here's what they had for targets.

1) 12" ELR Squares Challenge - (5) - 12" Squares placed at 200m, 250m, 300m, 350m, 400m, Shooters have 10 rounds to make 3 hits on each target in order to advance to the next target in the stage. Each shooter has a maximum of 10 minutes for the stage. Time will be kept for each shooter and in the event of a tie, the shooter with the lowest aggregated time will be the winner.

2) King of .22 Miles - 8 Targets placed starting at 300m and increasing in distance by 50m per stage. Targets will be placed at:
24" - 300m
30" - 350m
30" - 400m
36" - 450m
36" - 500m
42" - 550m
42" - 600m
48" - 650m

There was a couple guys that hit all the 12" squares so for this year they are adding 2 more farther targets. The larger plates the farthest impact was the 600m plate. (IIRC it was actually 590m ish) that guy was running a Charlie. I ran out of hold after 550m but I picked up a Charlie for this year.

Reactions: EWS
A 1 MOA target at 100 for 22LR shot prone supported outdoors is probably only an 80% hit rate best case for top 25% in a national match. 3 MOA at 300 certainly not better, probably 70%. Just my guess having tried it myself, and being well aquatinted with the inconsistency of 22LR ammunition. I have yet to see an honest 20+ shot group on paper from a 22LR at 400. Maybe someone will post one. Most people like 5 shot groups because they look nicer when you pick the best one of the day instead of overlaying a bunch of 5 shot groups.

Reactions: Cjwise5
Obviously, I screwed up what I'm looking for by using the 500 yard example.

What I'm looking for are recommendations for target size at various distance, i.e.: (numbers are for demonstration only at this point)

Range Lower 75% Upper 25%
100 yards 1.5MOA .5MOA
200 yards 3 MOA 1MOA
300 yards 4MOA 2MOA
400 yards 6MOA 2.5MOA
500 yards 8MOA 3MOA
1 MOA@100
2 MOA@200
3 MOA@300 is quite difficult when every shot is counted. 3/10, much easier.
It depends on how your match is structured.

Last edited:
Reactions: fast_hand84
I would say that Midwest precision shooting has it nailed as far as testing the shooter capabilities and not the gun. When you fall below these target sizes there is an increase in luck comming into play. If we are trying to test shooter skill and not the capabilities of the gun it’s important to have realistic target sizes. Just my .02.

There was a really good post here a while back with a sliding scale of target size Vs position stability.

With rimfire at ELR equivalent ranges a taller target makes it less about your lucky lot of ammo's ES and more about the wind call and stability. A 2 MOA tall target at 500 yards is going to be a hit 1 in 3 times just from the ammo unless you have a "good" lot in my experience.

ETA, found the thread I mentioned:

There was a really good post here a while back with a sliding scale of target size Vs position stability.

With rimfire at ELR equivalent ranges a taller target makes it less about your lucky lot of ammo's ES and more about the wind call and stability. A 2 MOA tall target at 500 yards is going to be a hit 1 in 3 times just from the ammo unless you have a "good" lot in my experience.

ETA, found the thread I mentioned:

That was my gem, hehe. It was Oct 2021, I messed around a lot more in 2022 and refined my setup. I have nothing conclusive for anyone and that is why my advice to the OP was to test himself. I don't have to shoot on given days, therefore I set steel in accordance with wind speeds. I can shoot big to small at any given range though, I have the targets.

I have 2 rigs that help make me look good at times, but anytime I feel like I could ride a fat chick onto the national stage, I go out on windy days and set paint cans at 3,4, and 500 yards. 300 isn't hard, 400 you pay attn, 500, some luck helps, lol

Reactions: 6.5SH