• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Reality shows

onechance

Fleet Admiral
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
IN
Am I the only one that thinks that there are too many reality shows on TV? Really, Mike Tyson and Pigeons?????

Re: Reality shows

I think the movie industry is running out of ideas, so reality is in.

I too have noticed a decline in creativity and imagination from the writers as of late, both T.V. and movies. It seems it is easier to copy or use someone else’s idea than take the time to create your own. Realities are likely cheaper produce as there is little cast salary involved. The only reality show I enjoyed was boot camp, but it didn’t survive more than a season or two, then replaced by biggest loser a few years later.

I think the cancellation of the good shows and the proliferation of crud is simply a reflection of the money situation.

The creativity is there, but it's on hold until advertising revenue resumes and the networks can pay fpr better programming.

I think it's no coincidence that Sci-Fi programs like <span style="font-style: italic">Caprica</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">SG-U</span>, and <span style="font-style: italic">Defying Gravity</span> went down the tube while budgets are being stretched.

Meanwhile, self funded spectacles like Wrestlemania, etc. which draw their own cult of viewers, get the nod from advertisers.

Add to this the certainty that the paranormal geek brigades, who will believe anything, are fertile ground for the advertising of crap products (only $19.95 plus S&H, and we'll even throw in a second supahdupahwhizbang FOR FREE, just pay additional S&H. Sound familiar?).

Until the economy recovers, get used to this stuff.

If you want to see why things are as they are, follow the money.

Greg

Reality shows never did cost much. You have a cast that volunteers to be on there, dialogue that writes itself, all you pay for is the "set" and editing. Way cheaper than a typical show.

I blame MTV and "The Real World". They were the first shitty reality show. Turns out the creator died of cancer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reality shows never did cost much. You have a cast that volunteers to be on there, dialogue that writes itself, all you pay for is the "set" and editing. Way cheaper than a typical show.

I blame MTV and "The Real World". They were the first shitty reality show. Turns out the creator died of cancer. </div></div>

+1, they get all of these dumb asses on there and most of them aren't even getting paid. What a f'ing joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+1, they get all of these dumb asses on there and most of them aren't even getting paid. What a f'ing joke. </div></div>

I heard that the Jersey Shore douches are getting $200K+ per episode!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+1, they get all of these dumb asses on there and most of them aren't even getting paid. What a f'ing joke. </div></div>

I heard that the Jersey Shore douches are getting $200K+ per episode! </div></div>

They are now. I don't think they started off with much of anything.

Maybe they'll come out with a Pathology reality show or a Bunny Ranch show.

It's not a matter of running out of ideas - it's a numbers game right now. No one wants to take expensive risks so they are relying on safe bets. And reality shows factor into the equation because they are safe bets. Like horror movies they can be made inexpensively, don't rely on expensive talent and do very well with the public.

Yes, the bean counters have been ruling Hollywood for some time now. Look to the premium channels like HBO for risk taking, fresh ideas.

Tyson says in the previews that a kid on his block "ripped the head off one of my pigeons" when he was younger. Must've made the poor guy a psycho lunatic that would bite someone's ear in a professional boxing match...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tyson says in the previews that a kid on his block "ripped the head off one of my pigeons" when he was younger. Must've made the poor guy a psycho lunatic that would bite someone's ear in a professional boxing match... </div></div>

I vividly remember when I was at my mom's boyfriends dairy farm when I was a lil kid...
I was standing at the bottom of a ladder that went up into the feed silo...

Something hit me on the head and dropped to the ground, and I looked down, and saw a pigeon head stare at me and then its eyes closed!!!

Fuckin asshole twisted the head off a pigeon and threw it on my head!!!

I was maybe 7 years old at the time... still burnt in my memory!!!

I want to see a reality show pitting Congresscritters against Senators.

<span style="font-style: italic">Survivor, Oligarch Island</span>