• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really like the concept of M24 style backup irons for my bolt gun. Where buy?

SingleshotFreddy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2023
U.S.A
I currently have a Rem 700 long action and am planning to slap a M24 contour barrel on it once I wear the rifling out of the current barrel.

The M24 used by the US Army has iron sight bases screwed onto the barrel that they can easily put irons on in the unlikely event that the scope bites the dust.
I doubt I will ever need to do so but I am a man who enjoys redundancy and all my rifles have irons. I would like to continue that tradition. Where can I find the bases and irons?

You’re looking for old redfield Palma rear sights (RPA would work in a pinch) and a common 19mm or 22mm front globe for/on a dovetail that is screwed to the barrel. I forget how the rear sight was attached. If it’s a picatinny adaptor plate like the Lipski then you can put the sight on your scope base. If not, your action needs to be drilled and tapped on the left side for a plate, that the rear sight base screws too.

If you just want the sights and not exact clone correct parts, put a WTB up here, in long range shooting, accurate shooter, etc. almost nobody shoots these sights anymore as they are 50+ year old tech and the WTC sights and their recent clones are better sights. Most have also switched to 30mm front sights with adjustable apertures

A gunsmith will need to drill and tap barrel and likely your action. Used front sights are cheap. I have several old shit 22mm units I’d only use in an emergency.(like I lost a bet and it’s that or shoot naked ) The redfield Palma can probably be found. They used to be cheap, maybe $175 and another $40 or so for the rear aperature. Keep a rubber band handy to keep tension on the top section so they’re repeatable.

Far be it from me to try to dissuade anyone from picking up NRA prone high power (this is what you are actually taking about setting up as back up sights). But before you spend somewhere between $500-$1000, maybe go to a high power match and see if you can look through or maybe shoot someone’s rifle after the match wraps up.

If you’re in middle TN I’ll put you behind one of mine with modern shit and you can see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Reactions: SingleshotFreddy
If you just want the sights and not exact clone correct parts, put a WTB up here, in long range shooting, accurate shooter, etc. almost nobody shoots these sights anymore as they are 50+ year old tech and the WTC sights and their recent clones are better sights. Most have also switched
Exactly. I just want the sights. My rifle is not going to be clone correct. I just like having back up irons on everything. Hell I'd have back up irons on my truck if I thought they might come in handy.

But at the same time I do like the idea of being able to take the sights off and put them back on if I feel the need.

Last edited: