• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Really Right Stuff Dovetail Standard Spec

So for accessory cross compatibility, is it Arca Accessories fit RRS dovetails or the other way around? I know that RRS=RRS and ARCA=ARCA, but I also thought one of the two clamps fit (workable fit not perfect) the other rail.

The mfgrs seem to be at a "BluRay vs HD DVD" moment where some of each product are on the market. Like 419 has the ArcaLock which (I think?) I based on the ARCA Swiss but their lever works on either?

Any clarity you can put up on this would be helpful!

Why are we even entertaining Arca, it was the wrong verbiage from the start

Most of us are using Really Right Stuff Products, so why not just make it to the correct spec, the Arca rails will work with it.

It's stupid, just make it right, as in RRS Dovetail

Reactions: Subwrx300
Why are we even entertaining Arca, it was the wrong verbiage from the start

Most of us are using Really Right Stuff Products, so why not just make it to the correct spec, the Arca rails will work with it.

It's stupid, just make it right, as in RRS Dovetail
Exactly why I asked; lots of products hit the market with various versions of compatibility due to wrong spec or naming. Good to know! RRS it is!

They fit, it's just that RRS perfected/polished Arca-Swiss (which has no standard). At least RRS was able to standardize it with their nomenclature/product line.

You can see the median dimensional differences below. Hejnar Arca-Swiss clamps, etc work with RRS and Arca-Swiss for example - it's all compatible, just not as "precisely matched" as RRS-to-RRS/SOAR parts are.

They fit, it's just that RRS perfected Arca-Swiss (which has no standard). At least RRS was able to standardize it with their nomenclature/product line.

You can see the dimensional differences. Hejnar Arca-Swiss clamps, etc work with RRS and Arca-Swiss for example - it's all compatible, just not as "precisely matched" as RRS-to-RRS parts are.

View attachment 7038054
Yup. I just read the product detail on the Area 419 Arcalock line and it's made to the RRS spec. Awesome product, but the name is misleading though.