• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really right stuff tripod

Mj30wilson900

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Missouri
    So I was wanting to purchase a really tight stuff tripod and having a hard time deciding what I need. First I want a soar model as I will be shooting ad hunting with it. I think the anvil 30 with the combo anvil/picatinney mount would work best for me as I have a ai at-x anvil mount system and several other rifles with pic rails.
    My question is with the tripod itself I was thinking of the series 3 with 3 extensions for more stable legs rather than the 4 extension system.
    So the tcft-33 mk2 series 3 but I want to make sure the 4ext is better or more favorable.
    Me and my son are 5’8” and 6’
    Mule deer hunting in Montana backpack in country.

Since it sounds like you’re planning on hunting as well as general range/shooting use, I’d go with the 24L. If the sole purpose was hunting, you might consider the 14L to shave a little weight. The 34L should be more stable, but I wouldn’t want to pack the extra weight.

My 24L is tall enough to glass standing up on a little bit of uneven terrain. It’s been good with lighter weight hunting setups as well as heavy gamer guns.

A 14L + 33 might be the better do-everything combination, but the 24L covers all bases pretty well.

Thank you that is what info I am looking for.
    Another data point, I’m 5’9 and the tfct33 is tall enough for me to glass standing with the cinch clamped into the anvil head.

It alsoweighs the same as the 24L, quicker to deploy, and theoretically it’s stiffer than the 24L, although I don’t have a 24L and haven’t compared them. But it doesn’t have 3” extra height, so @6ft it would be too short. Unless you are running a table and a gamechanger then it would work fine.

I'm 5'10" and I have the TFCT-34L. Flat range the bottom section is usually only about 1/2 way out for spotting with a MK4 12-40x60 and maybe 1/4 way out for shooting with the Anvil-30. However, in the field with uneven terrain, hillsides and rocky slopes, I almost always need at least 1 leg at full extension.

T

I have the TFC-34 (the one without the integrated Anvil) and I’m 5’10”.

It’s fine for me, but my setup makes it a bit taller.

I like long ground spikes so I added RRS versions (+3”). I use a ball head on top of a RRS clamp for quick swapping of heads (+5.25”). That’s +8.25” higher than the stock model…subtract 1” or 2” for sinking into the dirt if you’re on soft stuff a lot (I’m not).