• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really sad news-PS Magazine gone!

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY
Precision Shooting has closed it's doors. The only shooting magazine worth reading! Tried to order a book by Joe Rychetnik about Alaska and nobody answered the phone. Damn!!!

Re: Really sad news-PS Magazine gone!

Not Wally world material. Not with articles like "Indicating barrels for correct alignment of chambering reamers" and "Transonic stability of 168 gr BT bullets". Or "Four Styles of Barrel Crown Accuracy tests" Maybe it was the three articles I wrote for them that did them in....naa, those were in 2003-2005.

The first PS Magazine that came to my mind was this one:

418px-PS_Feb2006.jpg

I could not wait for the next issue to come to the mail box. What a loss, what a shame. Some of the best reading in the gun world. R.I.P.MM

I took PS for several years (still have stacks of them around). I can understand why they shut the lights off - pretty narrow market. The readership is the kind of folks that read Litz for enjoyment. When you distill it down - lots of gun owners, few shooters, fewer competitors, very few that want to really understand the reason behind all of it.

Good luck

I was certainly not aware that a firearms magazine that was worth a damn existed....
frown.gif
Might there be another one I'm missing out on?

Genuinely dismayed at its passing. It was the only magazine whose back issues I saved.

I hope Dave Brennan is safe and well.

My best guess is that PS did not make the transition from print media to electronic media successfully. Niche publications are feeling this pressure a lot lately, mainly because advertising income is tied to circulation numbers, and hardcopy subscriptions are definitely an endangered species.

Greg Langelius.

That's a bummer
frown.gif
This is too bad, as it was by far and away the best firearms magazine I'd ever read.

The writing was on the wall with the October 2012 issue; the lead-off editorial admitted that content was reduced in order to save money, and that issue was frankly not up to the level of quality I'd come to expect. I didn't expect things to end so quickly, however.

There was a post on 6mmbr.com that there will be a vote and they might raise the dues to $60. I hope they are able to continue. Its the only magazine of its type. Years ago Small Caliber News went down after Dakota bought it out from Todd Kindler. Awesome reading as well. They should just publish 6x per year to save some money.

I hope they are able to make it out OK. We advertised with them for several years. I spoke to Dave a time or two, Kim a bunch. They seem like good people.

Darn, I just got notice of a increase to $60 too. Did not see a notice of closure...

That's too bad. My only complaint on PS was that they seemed to lean toward the benchrest crowd. I personally did not care to drop deep into the weeds on some of the topics they focused on. Good stuff I'm sure, but not my cup of tea. Pleasure reading for me did not include calculas!

That said, the magazine was one of a kind and the writers knew their stuff. There was certainly good stuff in it as I subscribed for years.

I still have all my issues of Tactical Shooter (for those of you that were not aware of that publication, by PS). Now that was a magazine. Guess I'll hold on to them, just for nostalgic value at least.