• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really Starting to Enjoy My .17 HMR

Turkeytider

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
.Kind of a rocky start with my Savage 93R17 FV. Poor fit initially, couldn`t get a good cheek weld and groups and accuracy ( POA vs. POI ) was all over the place. Was extremely difficult to get any sort of sub-MOA group. Put a strap on comb pad that gave me a consistent sight picture and practiced dry fire with a quick trigger squeeze the instant the scope ( Vortex 3-7 ) cross hairs hit the center of the aiming dot at 100 yards instead of holding it there for several seconds. Groups are averaging right at 1 MOA now and .6 " POA vs. POI. Also helped to finally find the round the gun shoots best ( CCi 17 grain TNT ). Still room for improvement, but a lot more fun now!

Suppress it with a Dead Air Mask HD and you’ll love it even more. 👍🏼

Here’s a picture of my old Marlin 917 VSF .17 HMR I finally got threaded by my smith a few months ago.

C26BA94D-89BB-4A64-88EF-02EBEDBF922D.jpeg

I’m kinda glad to see 17 HMR posts. I have a Ruger 77/17 in 17 HMR. It shot ok with the factory barrel, but was picky in ammo. I pillar bedded it and shimmed the bolt trying to get more accuracy and consistency. Finally bought a Clark Custom barrel. Now this thing is a lazer pointer. Shoots crazy small groups at 100 yards and is not ammo picky at all. Love my 17 HMR. I will never part with it.

Full 9 round magazine group at 100. The one flyer is a mystery.

CC1048A3-51A9-4142-AFB5-7D3214980629.jpeg

Next time I pull it out of the safe I will have to get a decent pic of the rifle. It’s the deep fluted barrel - 4 flutes. I ordered it 17.5” after researching velocity vs. barrel length. 17.5” was pretty optimal for being short and losing the least amount of velocity.

It's not a mystery KG. It's a CCI signature event. :D
Two or three in the same locale,
then an independently minded projectile wanders off on its own.
Get used to it. Neither CCI or Winchester make precision paper punching ammunition.
Just hunting and plinking cartridges.
Center of critter and meat spray it does the job.

Reactions: jlorensen
Get used to it. Neither CCI or Winchester make precision paper punching ammunition.
Yeah, I’ve fought rimfire ammo for quite a long time. Many, many bricks of match 22 ammo. 17 HMR no different, just no match ammo. The gun deals with a wide variety of ammo well. I’m very pleased with the Clark Custom barrel.

Reactions: jlorensen
I’m kinda glad to see 17 HMR posts. I have a Ruger 77/17 in 17 HMR. It shot ok with the factory barrel, but was picky in ammo. I pillar bedded it and shimmed the bolt trying to get more accuracy and consistency. Finally bought a Clark Custom barrel. Now this thing is a lazer pointer. Shoots crazy small groups at 100 yards and is not ammo picky at all. Love my 17 HMR. I will never part with it.

Full 9 round magazine group at 100. The one flyer is a mystery.

View attachment 7911162

Next time I pull it out of the safe I will have to get a decent pic of the rifle. It’s the deep fluted barrel - 4 flutes. I ordered it 17.5” after researching velocity vs. barrel length. 17.5” was pretty optimal for being short and losing the least amount of velocity.
I`d say that that`s the marked exception when it comes to .17HMR at 100 yards. Nice shooting, though!

Next time I shoot it, I will get pics of a few sets of groups. Outside of wind, they stay pretty consistent. I did shoot it the other day and it was performing as I have come to expect from it. My buddy calls it the “laser pointer.” The barrel made a huge difference.

I`m finding consistency when it comes to precision ( group size ) to be a much greater challenge than accuracy ( POA vs POI ) . Not that a sub-MOA group isn`t attainable, just not consistently., at least for me. I agree that at least from what I`m experiencing ( " Minute of Crow" and " Minute of squirrel " at 100 yards ) , .17HMR ammo is certainly hunting ammunition.

.Kind of a rocky start with my Savage 93R17 FV. Poor fit initially, couldn`t get a good cheek weld and groups and accuracy ( POA vs. POI ) was all over the place. Was extremely difficult to get any sort of sub-MOA group. Put a strap on comb pad that gave me a consistent sight picture and practiced dry fire with a quick trigger squeeze the instant the scope ( Vortex 3-7 ) cross hairs hit the center of the aiming dot at 100 yards instead of holding it there for several seconds. Groups are averaging right at 1 MOA now and .6 " POA vs. POI. Also helped to finally find the round the gun shoots best ( CCi 17 grain TNT ). Still room for improvement, but a lot more fun now!
The CCI A17 was developed for your gun if you look at the package. Just a 3 shot group as it did open up some after this with 10 shots but still at 150 yds.
D5C4A1E0-E82F-4ED0-BEB4-314B77BE1C8B.jpeg

40F5A104-A1FF-4A45-B979-36CBD70189A9.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
Anyone have accuracy issues with the ruger precision 17hmr?? I’ve been having accuracy issues with the rifle and have only shot maybe 200 rounds through the rifle, it used to shoot 1/4” groups at 100 yards no problem, now shooting over 1” group at 100 yards with same ammo. I’ve cleaned barrel, properly torqued action screws, the picatinny rail, scope rings and mount screws, and still hasn’t helped. I’ve also foil taped the top of bedding blocked that didn’t help, so I tried the sides too, didn’t help either. Anything else I should try? It’s always shot the hornady vmax 17gr stuff the best, and the federal vmax it shot well too, but now both ammo is shooting over 1” at 100 yards.

Anyone have accuracy issues with the ruger precision 17hmr?? I’ve been having accuracy issues with the rifle and have only shot maybe 200 rounds through the rifle, it used to shoot 1/4” groups at 100 yards no problem, now shooting over 1” group at 100 yards with same ammo. I’ve cleaned barrel, properly torqued action screws, the picatinny rail, scope rings and mount screws, and still hasn’t helped. I’ve also foil taped the top of bedding blocked that didn’t help, so I tried the sides too, didn’t help either. Anything else I should try? It’s always shot the hornady vmax 17gr stuff the best, and the federal vmax it shot well too, but now both ammo is shooting over 1” at 100 yards.
Maybe shooting different ammo lots? I know you said you were shooting the same ammo, but the vagaries of 17HMR ammo, not just lot to lot but round to round, has been pretty well documented. Also, remember that CCi and Winchester are the only two companies that manufacture 17HMR rounds ( unless something has changed of which I`m unaware ). They mass produce these rounds to be " MOA of gopher or MOA of squirrel ". In no way is it true target ammunition. Try a couple of different lots.

Hmm okay ya when I first shot it and found it shot the hornady vmax 17gr the best, it also shot federal vmax well, the CCI stuff didn’t shoot very well, and same with the 20gr hornady didn’t shoot very well. I haven’t shot any Winchester ammo through it though
Maybe shooting different ammo lots? I know you said you were shooting the same ammo, but the vagaries of 17HMR ammo, not just lot to lot but round to round, has been pretty well documented. Also, remember that CCi and Winchester are the only two companies that manufacture 17HMR rounds ( unless something has changed of which I`m unaware ). They mass produce these rounds to be " MOA of gopher or MOA of squirrel ". In no way is it true target ammunition. Try a couple of different lots.

Hmm okay ya when I first shot it and found it shot the hornady vmax 17gr the best, it also shot federal vmax well, the CCI stuff didn’t shoot very well, and same with the 20gr hornady didn’t shoot very well. I haven’t shot any Winchester ammo through it though
These are what it used to shoot, both three shot groups, compared to what it’s shooting like now. All groups shot at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 281D1FCC-E241-4153-9FC8-83CF61F5F065.png
    281D1FCC-E241-4153-9FC8-83CF61F5F065.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • F598EC93-D913-4C99-8462-2DB12A204BB2.png
    F598EC93-D913-4C99-8462-2DB12A204BB2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
These are what it used to shoot, both three shot groups, compared to what it’s shooting like now. All groups shot at 100 yards.
Another 3 shot group before as well. One bullet right through the other hole

Attachments

• 90CA299F-E064-423E-AECF-D8B0643BAD61.png
    90CA299F-E064-423E-AECF-D8B0643BAD61.png
    2 MB · Views: 37
The best part of the 17hmr are the surprises.
Just like CrackerJacks, there's one in every box. :D

CZ 455 SOF Lilja 17hmr at 100 yards

AL9nZEWkK0GLlM4YmrTfIt8l60BktB8GD7ptJgZO73nUGH7kARITNIwMkTA1U4tvEiHWH7JB02H3wK9C9cDBwgRWWaFfZe5iqzb1W0usRNvO7F9mQlI5BjBJoZCpkYKS6vYjCLBr_rJ2RcXFwqUIaV33mTox=w685-h386-no

AL9nZEUfIk1WCrjNGXZmM4E4F0di6KKARTyKKxpzFvn3Dn9pBO33VF3z9sWypRwZoP3OHLqILJZXGTt3HORITr_KJnfrXIMZHuafhgEBVp1x5nNbRNEWf4vuk_Ioa3QFGhwfofXNCnYlSEOqQGa-hIOsynD6=w390-h318-no

Spectacular ain't it?
Downright freakin' amazing is how I call it.

But ya' see, it's just part of the story. :(

Here's the freakin' punch line....

AL9nZEU9-efSTHKzszeY6AxIUf7ibjG-xEN7geCdjXgKfcyZ2UmRwpFZxMV-DIka6OX6cF4d4GacO75l_DuiZwPyjgK-jrZOWofsDopbaP-cHB6ZOWL2hwtrqobouTru36I636G8Torr5kiWLc-XZwBR5ieU=w410-h391-no

That hot cartridge was almost 250 fps faster than the other 4.

Gotta love CCI and Winchester rimfire ammo, eh? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ and ConnaB99
Ya Idunno what the surprise is with my rifle. But I can’t figure it out. It’s really grinding my gears. And ruger has suggested to me everything I’ve already tried

AL9nZEWkK0GLlM4YmrTfIt8l60BktB8GD7ptJgZO73nUGH7kARITNIwMkTA1U4tvEiHWH7JB02H3wK9C9cDBwgRWWaFfZe5iqzb1W0usRNvO7F9mQlI5BjBJoZCpkYKS6vYjCLBr_rJ2RcXFwqUIaV33mTox=w685-h386-no

AL9nZEUfIk1WCrjNGXZmM4E4F0di6KKARTyKKxpzFvn3Dn9pBO33VF3z9sWypRwZoP3OHLqILJZXGTt3HORITr_KJnfrXIMZHuafhgEBVp1x5nNbRNEWf4vuk_Ioa3QFGhwfofXNCnYlSEOqQGa-hIOsynD6=w390-h318-no

Spectacular ain't it?
Downright freakin' amazing is how I call it.

But ya' see, it's just part of the story. :(

Here's the freakin' punch line....

AL9nZEU9-efSTHKzszeY6AxIUf7ibjG-xEN7geCdjXgKfcyZ2UmRwpFZxMV-DIka6OX6cF4d4GacO75l_DuiZwPyjgK-jrZOWofsDopbaP-cHB6ZOWL2hwtrqobouTru36I636G8Torr5kiWLc-XZwBR5ieU=w410-h391-no

That hot cartridge was almost 250 fps faster than the other 4.

Gotta love CCI and Winchester rimfire ammo, eh? ;)

Got her “strapped” in there eh? Never seen the U-bolt style system to fasten a barreled action in the stock. Is that a common method used in benchrest rifles?

Seems like that would play hell with harmonics on a centerfire or especially a magnum caliber. It almost looks temporary for testing.

Last edited:
Fully epoxy bedded barrel, action free floated on the SOF. (son of fuglie)
Stainless steel plates and leather pads to hold it in place.
Minimal harmonics and lotsa inertia to keep it steady. ;)

Not as heavy as the original Fuglie though. :D

Rimfire artillery anyone?

fuglie-v1.2.JPG

NOW, ruger is telling a customer service department (apparently) that 1.5”MOA at 100 yards is an acceptable grouping for the ruger “precision” 17hmr. I emailed back and said that’s not accurate at all out of a “precision” rimfire. Unreal

• Wow
Reactions: carbonbased
NOW, ruger is telling a customer service department (apparently) that 1.5”MOA at 100 yards is an acceptable grouping for the ruger “precision” 17hmr. I emailed back and said that’s not accurate at all out of a “precision” rimfire. Unreal
Agree! That don`t sound right. I can do substantially better than that at 100 yards with my stock Savage 93R17 FV and it is certainly not advertised as a " precision " gun.

Reactions: ConnaB99
Agree! That don`t sound right. I can do substantially better than that at 100 yards with my stock Savage 93R17 FV and it is certainly not advertised as a " precision " gun.
Right!? Especially when last year I was shooting 1/4” groups at 100 yards no problem. Now aftwr 200 ish rounds, the story has changed..

Y'all are forgetting an important detail, again.

There is no match grade 17 hmr ammo. None.
CCI and Winchester make varminting ammo.
Center of critter is as good as it gets.
Contact customer service at either company and ask:
What do you expect your 17 hmr to produce for 5 shots at 100 yards?

The answer: 2 moa average, about 2 inches, average.
Sometimes better, often worse, but still 2 moa average.
Call them, ask, find out, don't guess.

Or I suppose you could send a whole box at a single aimpoint at 100 yards and see what happens. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
Y'all are forgetting an important detail, again.

There is no match grade 17 hmr ammo. None.
CCI and Winchester make varminting ammo.
Center of critter is as good as it gets.
Contact customer service at either company and ask:
What do you expect your 17 hmr to produce for 5 shots at 100 yards?

The answer: 2 moa average, about 2 inches, average.
Sometimes better, often worse, but still 2 moa average.
Call them, ask, find out, don't guess.

Or I suppose you could send a whole box at a single aimpoint at 100 yards and see what happens. :D

Anyone I know with a 17hmr shoots under 1” at 100 yards all day long no question. But yes I’ve called ruger once. Going to again to ask.

Anyone I know with a 17hmr shoots under 1” at 100 yards all day long no question. But yes I’ve called ruger once. Going to again to ask.
Now another thing came to mind, maybe it’s my scope, possibly the reticle is doing something funky and isn’t holding bang on? It’s a vortex diamondback 4-12x40

Had to go look at jbell's 6x5 thread results.
Looks like only 4 of us were capable of a sub moa average at 100 yards with the 17 hmr.
Me being one of the 4. No way I'd claim sub moa all day long with any rimfire at 100 yards.
Too many poorly assembled cartridges to do so. Loose crimps, uneven seating, bent tips,
uneven powder primer charges, mv spread up to 300 fps, split necks, out of spec brass...
all typical of minimal quality control at Winchester and CCI. :(

Had to go look at jbell's 6x5 thread results.
Looks like only 4 of us were capable of a sub moa average at 100 yards with the 17 hmr.
Me being one of the 4. No way I'd claim sub moa all day long with any rimfire at 100 yards.
Too many poorly assembled cartridges to do so. Loose crimps, uneven seating, bent tips,
uneven powder primer charges, mv spread up to 300 fps, split necks, out of spec brass...
all typical of minimal quality control at Winchester and CCI. :(
Hmmm I just found another thing on my rifle. Took the hand rail off to check barrel nut, it was tight. But noticed a mark on bottom of my barrel from a screw connecting the bipod to the handrail, pushed up against my barrel, now wondering if that screw being up against the barrel was causing the issue?

Attachments

• 37DD1A49-6739-4FF7-ADF0-1DE4ADF3D9A8.jpeg
    37DD1A49-6739-4FF7-ADF0-1DE4ADF3D9A8.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 46
Hmmm I just found another thing on my rifle. Took the hand rail off to check barrel nut, it was tight. But noticed a mark on bottom of my barrel from a screw connecting the bipod to the handrail, pushed up against my barrel, now wondering if that screw being up against the barrel was causing the issue?
Yeah, that’s probably not helping anything.

Ruger 77/22 with a 17HMR barrel…done by Randy at CPC Precision…

Attachments

• ADDE66FF-1E26-4176-843E-D76AF1B2A289.jpeg
    ADDE66FF-1E26-4176-843E-D76AF1B2A289.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 25
  • A662AECF-7CD6-47D8-8AA8-947039D3B564.jpeg
    A662AECF-7CD6-47D8-8AA8-947039D3B564.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
That 6x 5 thread could use a few more 17 hmr results.
Hopefully y'er ammo is better quality than my last delivery. :(

I had really good luck with my Clark Customs barrel for my Ruger 77/17. Mine ia the v-block gen 1 version. Not the later threaded version. I opted for the barrel because mine was ammo picky. New barrel loves most anything.
I thought I would sell it and get a threaded version, but Clark stated they get the same accuracy from both versions. I took a chance and glad I did. Its a lazer at 100 yards with any ammo really. Some are better but all under an inch.
I got the deep fluted version in 17.5” with threaded muzzle.

I also pillar bedded the action and run a bolt shim kit for improved bolt lock-up.

I posted this before. As promised I need to shoot a few 9 round groups to show different ammo. And as promised I need to list a pic of the rifle and barrel. I haven’t had it back out

100 yards for 9 shots
0B8121D4-5EE9-4EDA-8E39-DD837DBB5B4A.jpeg

Last edited:
I had really good luck with my Clark Customs barrel for my Ruger 77/17. Mine ia the v-block gen 1 version. Not the later threaded version. I opted for the barrel because mine was ammo picky. New barrel loves most anything.
I thought I would sell it and get a threaded version, but Clark stated they get the same accuracy from both versions. I took a chance and glad I did. Its a lazer at 100 yards with any ammo really. Some are better but all under an inch.

I also pillar bedded the action and run a bolt shim kit for improved bolt lock-up.

I posted this before. As promised I need to shoot a few 9 round groups to show different ammo. And as promised I need to list a pic of the rifle and barrel. I haven’t had it back out

100 yards for 9 shots
View attachment 7957853
Dang nice! I took my bipod off my rprr today and went and shot and it fixed my problem. The one screw was just touching the bottom of the barrel holding the bipod on, or would just touch when I shot. Took it off. And well this was 3 for 3 shots through a .223 shell at 102 yards

Attachments

• C15001AA-ADED-4FC0-977B-EBD203F834B2.jpeg
    C15001AA-ADED-4FC0-977B-EBD203F834B2.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: carbonbased

100 yards for 9 shots
View attachment 7957853
That`s great shooting, especially for a .17HMR. Makes me wonder if you need special barrels and such to do that.