• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

really want a vectronix..whats the best ballistic comuputer to go along with it?

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
I have a G7 rangefinder, that I love how simple and quick it is, but i have a tough time ranging in rain/fog/snow, even hitting a black cow at 800-1000 yards is iffy. I really want to get a vectronix terripan.

how does 5X work for long ranges, my g7 is 7X?

Whats the fastest ballistic computer, I would like to have temp and pressure build in.

An Applied Ballistics Kestrel is probably the fastest. Field Firing Solutions is probably the most powerful. Terrapins aren't being imported anymore and are soon going to be scarce.

Move quickly and bring plenty of cash, what you want isn't cheap and won't be available for long.

Has anyone heard if they will bring something similiar to the terrapin back? Hopefully does slope and has serial or bluetooth, I know about the other higher end ones but that's a little to steep for me.

I do not know.
I will tell you that it sounds like they are trying to define 'steep'. Terrapins sold out like fresh fish.

I have a Vectronix Terrapin with the Kestrel 4500 with Applied Balistics, it is the nuts!!!

An Applied Ballistics Kestrel is probably the fastest. Field Firing Solutions is probably the most powerful. Terrapins aren't being imported anymore and are soon going to be scarce.

Move quickly and bring plenty of cash, what you want isn't cheap and won't be available for long.

I just had the pleasure of using my Kestrel 4500NV with Applied Ballistics for a local Long Range Varmint Silhouette Match on Saturday. I have the bluetooth model and I downloaded one of the custom bullet drag curves the week before.

It was DEAD ON at ANY range. I was completely blown away. No more having to send data to a PDA or having to making guess adjustments for the change in temperature throughout the day. I simply looked at the Kestrel and it was bang on the Varmint silhouettes out to 850 yards (800 meters). The wind meter function, giving you wind speeds 1 and 2 (denoted as WS1 and WS2) and the direction, gave me a lot of information. Hitting the rabbit at 500 meters was not a daunting of a task as it was before the Kestrel.

I just cannot say enough good things about the Kestrel. Thank you LawnMM for your help and thank you Bisontactical.com for the 5% discount. I am not for shameless plugs, but damn, that Kestrel kicks ass. Okay, back in my hole now.

Glad its working for you. I have to say, I've had dope issues with the Applied Ballistics app, the FDAC, all manner of other software that generates dope.

I used the AB Kestrel at this month's Trigger Time Gun Club monthly match and it was dead on out to 1150+ yards. I don't know if it's the real time environmental info its pulling, the litz curves, or a combination thereof... But the thing works better than anything I've yet come across.

Glad its working for you. I have to say, I've had dope issues with the Applied Ballistics app, the FDAC, all manner of other software that generates dope.

I used the AB Kestrel at this month's Trigger Time Gun Club monthly match and it was dead on out to 1150+ yards. I don't know if it's the real time environmental info its pulling, the litz curves, or a combination thereof... But the thing works better than anything I've yet come across.

What do you feed the Kestrel? G7 BC and magnetospeed muzzle velocity?

What do you feed the Kestrel? G7 BC and magnetospeed muzzle velocity?

Its not a g7 BC, the software comes with a full library of custom curves for projectiles. I used the curve specifically generated for my bullet choice along with, as you said, MV from the magnetospeed.

I'm thinking the custom curves are the difference. Rather than using a percentage of a model like a g1 or g7 the bullet has its own drag model. I'm impressed, it was on the ball all day.

I just had the pleasure of using my Kestrel 4500NV with Applied Ballistics for a local Long Range Varmint Silhouette Match on Saturday. I have the bluetooth model and I downloaded one of the custom bullet drag curves the week before.

It was DEAD ON at ANY range. I was completely blown away. No more having to send data to a PDA or having to making guess adjustments for the change in temperature throughout the day. I simply looked at the Kestrel and it was bang on the Varmint silhouettes out to 850 yards (800 meters). The wind meter function, giving you wind speeds 1 and 2 (denoted as WS1 and WS2) and the direction, gave me a lot of information. Hitting the rabbit at 500 meters was not a daunting of a task as it was before the Kestrel.

I just cannot say enough good things about the Kestrel. Thank you LawnMM for your help and thank you Bisontactical.com for the 5% discount. I am not for shameless plugs, but damn, that Kestrel kicks ass. Okay, back in my hole now.

I just used my AB Kestrel for the Rocky Mountain Steel Quest and everything Nevada said was absolutely true for me as well. So far it has only been out to 800 yards or so I can not speak to longer ranges as of yet but it is worth every penny.

I am hoping for a group buy for the AB Kestrel, I need to save a few bucks.

I was at 3 day precision school this weekend and was the first chance I had to use the Kestrel AB in combination with my Terrapin. We were shooting at distances from 100 to 2000 yards and the units performed very well. Utilizing the Litz custom profiles in AB Loader the unit provided solutions that were accurate out to around 700 yards. At 1000 we input corrected dope and had the unit adjust adjust the muzzle velocity and it was nuts on afterwards. When shooting beyond the transsonic range we adjusted using the DSF and provided good dope out to 1775 yards. Beyond that I ran out of elevation in my turrets and spotter had to walk me in on the targets by holding on objects above and behind the target.

I am hoping for a group buy for the AB Kestrel, I need to save a few bucks.

Diverdon,

Frederick with Bisontactical.com is running a discount for hide members. 5% of any order. I saved about $50.00 going with him. He is a regular supported of Hide members. You can also contact him here as "hero fish". He was SUPER helpful in getting my software to run on my old PC, thus allowing me to download via bluetooth the super accurate Litz custom drag curves. He went well beyond what I would expect from a shop.

Here is the link thread: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-bisontactical-com-discount-hide-members.html

I ran the Accuracy 1st class this past weekend and they provided us with the AB Kestrel. It was dead on and I was very impressed even though I was only able to true to trans sonic. I expected the Kestrel to be very user unfriendly and I was surprised how well it worked.

Its not a g7 BC, the software cavailable h a full library of custom curves for projectiles. I used the curve specifically generated for my bullet choice along with, as you said, MV from the magnetospeed.

I'm thinking the custom curves are the difference. Rather than using a percentage of a model like a g1 or g7 the bullet has its own drag model. I'm impressed, it was on the ball all day.

I just got my ab kestrel. Where is the custom curves availabe and what are they exactly? Do u mean how u tell it your dope at a certain range and it does the rest?

I use the FFS with Trimble Nomad. I am waiting for the next gen of Vectronix products. Once you range your target if you have the Kestrel set up with BT it gives updates less than every second.

To me it has been bang on and you can create your own bullets profile.

For me I wouldn't have it any other way. I can also view maps in the waterproof device.

I just got my ab kestrel. Where is the custom curves availabe and what are they exactly? Do u mean how u tell it your dope at a certain range and it does the rest?

They come with the software that you use to interface with the Kestrel from your computer.

@ NevadaZielmeister - thanks for the kind words !
@ diverdon - I can't offer a GB for a lower price than you can get on my website using the current coupon code. I just ran the numbers, and the current coupon code is a better deal than I could do a GB for, even adding things like the Tactical carry case and screen protector.

Remember, any of the AB Kestrels will ship free on my website as well - so you get the discount plus free shipping (FedEx, or USPS and insured).

coupon code = "SnipersHide2014" - you have to register and log in for the code to work
Kestrel|4500|4500NV|Applied Ballistics|Horus Vision BisonTactical

I am going to have to meet up with some of the local CO people - any of you ever head out to CRC?

OP - sorry to take this thread a bit off topic - but back to your point - I use the Terrapin + Kestrel AB, and I think for the price - it is a great setup. If you have lots of money to spare - you may be able to get a PLRF 10C + FFS and a PDA and a Kestrel 4500 - which will be a bit faster - when you click the range button it sends the info to the PDA (and I think the PDA is using bluetooth to read the wind data) - and I am pretty certain the 10C does angle. But that setup is going to run something like $10K - if you can still find one of the 15C's or 10C's - as new ones are now GSA only in the US - at least via PRG.