• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reamer choice help for 308 WIN

JRWALLSIII

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Elkton,Florida,USA
www.wallsrifles.com
What is the best reamer for a 308 Win using the following components

Lapua Brass
185 Berger Hybrid bullet

This will be used with AICS Mags. I can have the mags modified to accept a longer OAL

Thanks

Re: Reamer choice help for 308 WIN

Send a dummy round to Kiff get a reamer and then let me borrow it if it's shoots good

Talk to Dave Manson of Manson Reamers. he is great to talk to and will give you very good advice.

hello .257
i have bought reamers from ptg, there products are outstanding. but its hard to get an order from them.
yes i agree, call manson they have it together over there. very outstanding products as well. good luck.

If you want a great reamer get the 308 bisley . It will shoot as good as you can read the wind. The delivery is getting better now we are getting all the wildcats out,I think its 1-5 weeks in most cases. Thanks Dave Kiff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a great reamer get the 308 bisley . It will shoot as good as you can read the wind. The delivery is getting better now we are getting all the wildcats out,I think its 1-5 weeks in most cases. Thanks Dave Kiff </div></div>

+1 on the Bisley.

Dave's the chit!

Not sure what the differance is but i had a 308 chambered in 95 Palma that shot amazingly well!!
I had my working gun chambered in this as well and it shoots 168 Blackhills ammo as good as anything i can reload for it , honestly in the .2's!! the 175 ammo seems a bit snug so im thinking the chamber is a short throat

Dave or Chad , what the differanc ein the 95 Palma and the Bisley chamber

The Bisley is the only way to go.

JJ, about .040" free bore difference, thats it.

International Palma, often called "Fullbore" nowadays is a game played every 4 years. Each year its hosted by a different country.

In 95 the reamer of choice was the "95 Palma". In 2003 the worlds were held at Bisley, England.

For the team events the host country supplies the ammunition. In 03 it was Radway Green. (horrible stuff) The Bisley reamer was the answer in the effort to make the stuff shoot well while still running within the confines of British rules/laws governing chamber dimensions.

We enjoy a luxury here that other countries don't have. In the US you can pretty much set a chamber up anyway you like. Many other places require stuff more specific as they take chamber pressures and such much more seriously.

As a result during the international palma events guns are gauged with chamber gauges to ensure they fall within the dimensional requirements. Fail and its two solutions. Side on the ready line and watch, or cringe as some gorrilla crams a reamer down your bore by hand.

The 95 Palma is tighter than the Bisley. Both are meant for 155 grain bullets, but the throat/freebore geometry of the Bisley lends itself well to heavier bullets running at or close to the 2.800" COAL.

Hope this helped.

C.