• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing reamer help

havoctec

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
sd
Ive been using PTG reamers and the last couple i've gotten shouldn't have past quality control. chips on one of then and the other was undersized causing headaches. i have a couple new ones ordered from JGS but wondering how Manson reamers are or what others are using. thanks in advance

LRI posted a few weeks back that they stopped using PTG reamers because of continual quality issues.

I’ve been poking around for years and have only seen good things about Manson’s quality and customer service.

Thanks for your response I seen their post also but haven’t seen any other info on quality reamers. I’ll just have to try a Manson also

Dave Manson is excellent to deal with and a super nice man who will not bullshit you.
Pretty much my experience. I'm no Gunsmith though, just a guy with a lathe in his garage. Manson took a phone order, performed the operations like I asked him to and shipped without any fuss and within 10 business days. He's also supported/sponsored the local steel matches I shoot so I patronize him.

Manson quality and CS exceeds PTG in my book by a country mile.

I've known Dave for over 30 years. Great guy. I go through a lot of reamers. He's my go to guy for coated HSS reamers. Very very seldom is there a problem. I don't think I've ever had dimensional issues. I use JGS for carbide and core drills.

Reactions: 260284
When I first got into this 7 years ago I called to inquire about some of his "truing" tooling.
i was transferred to him, I swear he must have spent half an hour on the phone with me, patiently providing me with some much needed and valuable knowledge. I'll only buy elsewhere if I have to....

Buddy who has been a hold out with ptg and wouldn’t take my lessons learned finally got bit. Ordered a 375 reamer with .050” freebore instead of the .170” they suggested. Reamer showed up and without checking, he chambers his barrel. Goes to find the lands to start load work and the bullet is sticking wayyy to far out. The reduced freebore was so he could mag feed. That’s not going to happen now....

I got bit by PTG years ago. The CS response was unacceptable. Lesson learned, never again.

I'm glad to hear Manson and JGS seem reliable, I'll give one of them a shot next time.