• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing reamer holder, what's your favorite?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i have been using the bald eagle fully floating reamer holder with ok results. i still don't like the idea though. i want to get away from holding the handle by hand. my tailstock is about .0015" high now but i think i have a way to fix that. i am thinking that something like the gtr reamer holder may be the way to go as long as i can get my tailstock aligned dead nuts. i am also thinking about putting together a coolant through bore set up and a hands free reamer holder would be a good idea with this. i'd like to get thoughts from some of you guys that do a lot of chambers or have tried different reamer holders.

Re: reamer holder, what's your favorite?

If my headstock was deadnuts I would be pushing with a deadcenter and holding the reamer by hand with a tap wrench. I know an old guy that uses that method and his chambers are nothing short of art work.

Look at the JGS Reamer Holder. Dont worry about .0015" in tail stock height, the floating reamer holders will counter that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got this technique in 1999 - 2000 from Bryant, and I am still meeting my accuracy goals, and have no need to change.
http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/rebarrel.htm </div></div>

Thats what I use, it's flawless.

Im not a master by any means...only chambered about 40-45 rifles in my time. I started out with a Manson floater and went to the above mentioned "bryant method" about a year ago. I will say that the manson floating reamer holder worked great...I just personally prefer the "feel" you get with above Tap Handle/technique. If you are trying to get away from having the hand-held version.....try the Manson floating reamer holder that chucks up in the tail stock. IIRC the Manson will offset approx .030 of movement.

i can't seem to find a picture of the jgs reamer holder to get an idea how it works. do you know if it is similar to the manson?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can't seem to find a picture of the jgs reamer holder to get an idea how it works. do you know if it is similar to the manson? </div></div>

They make two different types. The one I used had a small sleeve in front for the reamer shank to go in and a set screw to hold it in place. They also make one with a drill chuck. This was just ahead of the floating portion of the holder that was attached to a shank that inserted into a #3 MT in the tail stock.