• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Reap IR 60mm vs MK3 60mm

Jbail1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Looking for general opinions from those who may have used both units. I’ve had a MKII 20mm in the past and now mainly use the Reap 35mm. I like both. This one will be mounted on a custom semi-lightweight 6mm Creedmoor.

Thanks

reap saves you some weight. you obviously already familiar with the joy stick controls along with the turret on the mk3. splitting hairs really.

For me the big plus of the reap-2 is the verticle battery compartment. While I personally have not had any recoil shutoffs on any of the inline trijicons I've had (mk2 35mm, thru mk3 60mm or SNIPE) ... I've heard from several folks who have had recoil shut offs. They didn't add the "military style" vertical battery compartment on there because they were bored :D

Otherwise, yes the weight and size advantage go to the REAP as well.

Some pluses on the Mk3 side ...

The extra sac-ens on front could possibly save you some bucks if you managed to drive your spear into the objective lens.

The mk3 (with extension) can take 3xc123 whereas the REAP-2 can only take 2xc123. There exist battery packs for the mk3 as well, if you don't like changing batts in the field.

If you start with a mk3 19mm or 35mm ... you can upgrade all the way to the 60mm if you change your mind.

The mk3 costs a tiny bit less.

==
As to the interface ... turrets versus joystick. I have both and have used both for a couple of years ... and they both work fine. You can get used to anything. I do like the "quick menu" of the joystick interface. And I haven't had a problem, but I have heard from a few people who had recoil issues with the joystick interface. On the turret side, I haven't had a problem, but I have heard a few people have the menu lock up if they turned the knobs really fast. They had to power cycle.

==

If I had to buy a trijicon today and didn't have one ... I'd probably get a REAP-2 60mm because I like the vertical battery compartment. But it would be a close call. I have a mk3 60mm and an IR-Patrol 19mm and love them both and have no plan to make any changes in the trijicon department any time soon.