• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision REAP IR & Knights PVS30 (refurbished)? Good combo?

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Ok, Bought the REAP IR about 8 or 9 months back and love it. Gave me a little trouble but seems to be on track now. Looking for a clip on NV unit as well as a LR IR. Seems from the research I've done that would make a great combo and or two shooter set up on hogs, dogs, and cats in TX.
    I would like to play with a MKIII 60 Trijicon/IRD as a second unit but with the reports I've read about Thermals get used for scanning and NV for kill. Trying for the best of both worlds with two shooters/swap guns etc.
    Knights PVS30 Refurbished (over "1800") is what I'm told to look for. Gonna need a LR IR as well. Suggestions?
    Also have a friend selling a SIMRAD for about $2200 that is supposed to be pretty damn nice. Not as universal for me in my applications but I do run Spurh mounts so that's a $100 solution in short.

Any input is welcome. I'd like to stay under $6K on the second setup but can pull a few strings if need be.

If only I could swing about $74K for the thermal I played with and a few more for the toys that go with it, I wouldn't be asking this. If I could even buy it.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    My only complaint with my PVS30 so far is my short arms keep me from being able to refocus the NV unless I break cheek-weld. The focus ring is stiff so I had a buddy help with it while I played around at different distances. My MK12 might get a collapsible stock because of it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know they are really heavy and I now understand why folks go with the PVS14 and a handheld thermal with a visible laser to hunt with. I really like my PVS30 but it needs to be backed up with a handheld thermal at this point. I am working on a IR light right now to help with low light because I am not seeing great out past 75 yards with either my AMG or the smaller NF 2.5-10X32. Out target is under a tree with the moon behind or off to one side the paper. I am trying to get more time behind my setup so when the opportunity comes up for hogs or varmint hunting I will be up on it.

My hand held thermal, used for scanning is an L3 X320. Ir works fine for me and my style hunting. I scan different areas ranging form about 500 down to 50 yards, Once you get used to animal behavior you can be very accurate at IDing different animals. My primary pig rig does have a collapsable stock. I have a CNVD NV clip on in front of a Leupold CQBSS variable which is primarily on 3 power. My IR light is a surefire. That combination has worked very well for me and there are a lot of dead pigs with that weapon

I do have a Trijicon Reaper IR, but do not use it as much as I thought I would.

Sounds good. We use an IRD REAP-IR and it takes most anything inside 125 to maybe 150 yds and use a CNVD-LR clip on for long shots. I use a. IRD LE Patrol 100 and Pulsar HD19 to scan.....I wouldn't be without a handheld thermal scanner.

Ok, Bought the REAP IR about 8 or 9 months back and love it. Gave me a little trouble but seems to be on track now. Looking for a clip on NV unit as well as a LR IR. Seems from the research I've done that would make a great combo and or two shooter set up on hogs, dogs, and cats in TX.
    I would like to play with a MKIII 60 Trijicon/IRD as a second unit but with the reports I've read about Thermals get used for scanning and NV for kill. Trying for the best of both worlds with two shooters/swap guns etc.
    Knights PVS30 Refurbished (over "1800") is what I'm told to look for. Gonna need a LR IR as well. Suggestions?
    Also have a friend selling a SIMRAD for about $2200 that is supposed to be pretty damn nice. Not as universal for me in my applications but I do run Spurh mounts so that's a $100 solution in short.

Any input is welcome. I'd like to stay under $6K on the second setup but can pull a few strings if need be.

If only I could swing about $74K for the thermal I played with and a few more for the toys that go with it, I wouldn't be asking this. If I could even buy it.

For the money it's really hard to beat a Luna Illuminator. They work well out to about 200-250 yards. And they are brighter if you take the filter off.

I’m with N2thermals, Luna is affordable and easy to find. I’m using the PVS 14 behind an eotech on a 300 BLK and have had success out to 175 yards. Anything inside that distance is just to easy. Considering the PVS30 since it’s 308+ rated so I can reach out there. Using the Luna IR (without filter) and my PVS14 and a 3x lens it literally shines as far as I can see.

i am running a reap ir 35mm and pvs 30. fantastic combo. you can make longer shots out to 300yd with the reap pretty easily.

Reactions: WoobieJ