• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision REAP-IR vs REAP-IR-2

Parkre

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2017
Does anyone really know what the major differences are between the gen1 and gen2 of the REAPs?
The only thing I see is the rail attachment and battery placement. I don't see any increase in battery life, processing, resolution, still 60hz, etc. Or any fancy new features, PIP, crosshairs, anything really.

I just bought a REAP-IR-2-20mm from OpticsPlanet. And hopefully should have it by Monday.

Thanks in advance if you know something I don't. :)

I’m just a newb with thermals, so don’t take this as gospel. The only differences I can think of is the v2 has the easy zero, vertical battery compartment and they replaced the Wilcox shoe with a pic rail. (the only explanation I’ve heard on the pic rail is so you can mount a laser to walk someone with nv onto your target.)
Hope this helped

If you're mostly gonna shot it ... I'd get the reap2 ... if you're gonna use it has a handheld or helmet mounted spotter ... then reap1 might be a good call.
also, you are more likely to run across a used reap1 for a lower price (technically with zero to reduced warranty).
Plenty of people have shot reap1s ... BUT, the big improvement of the reap2 is the verticle battery compartment. The verticle battery compartment is designed to mitigate the issues people have reported with the inline battery compartment caused the reap1 to shut down under recoil. It might be less than 1% cases? But I've heard multiple cases ... and the veriticles batts should definitely help!
The reap1 has a shoe that will slip right in to a dovetail mount ... just like the patrol.
So the main differences are the reap1 is helmet mountable right out of the box
and the reap2 has the verticle batt compartment to mitigate recoil induced shut off.
The reap2 has a pic rail instead of the shoe, so you could mount an ir-laser on it for orienting team members.

And of course the reap1 comes in one flavor, the 35mm whereas the reap2 comes in three flavors, the 19mm, the 35mm and the 60mm.

Again, if you are gonna put it on a rifle and leave it, I'd get the reap2. If you are gonna put it on your helmet and spot with it ... and sometimes put it on your rifle, I'd get the reap1

i will second that on the ease of battery swap. i doubt it will be long before someone builds a replacement battery door lid that accepts supplemental battery pack cord

Reactions: Frog05
I hope your right, these things will destroy a pack of 123a’s on a cold night.
It will be tricky to build the replacement door, in order to remove the hinge the housing has to be opened up.....bye bye warranty.