• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Rear bag for precision

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    Looking for a rear bag that is very stable and solid. The rear bag will only be used for load development and zeroing the rifle. So don’t want it to move very much.

I use a protektor for my fclass rifle and Armageddon game changer for many others that works well. Armageddon is a very versatile bag where the protektor is designed only as a rear bag. Decent amount of bags come up in the px here. As people buy and try many of them

Looking for a rear bag that is very stable and solid. The rear bag will only be used for load development and zeroing the rifle. So don’t want it to move very much.
    What position do you shoot from and what is your front support?

I am pondering a better setup for load development also, I do that from a bench. I normally shoot with an Atlas CAL bipod and PRS style squeeze bag in the rear. I can hold .5 moa 10 shot groups, maybe a little better this way. But I can see the reticle moving and I get fliers I know I caused.

I have shot friends benchrest rifles that use adjustable front rest and heavy rear bags that have almost no give in them. Very stable and reticle does not move. They also free recoil, not loading a bipod like I do.

My rifles are not setup to use a front rest and most do not have a rear stock ideal to ride a stationary bag. So even if i get a good benchrest worthy rear bag, I can't position it directly under my cheek weld or use it to adjust on target well.

My conclusion has been that to truly take myself out of the equation for load development I would have to:
    Get a front rest that is adjustable up, down and preferably side to side.
    Get a rear benchrest bag designed to support and free recoil.
    Modify each rifle with smooth flat riders in front for rest.
    Add bag riders to buttstock or rig some way to prevent the shape of the stock from being an issue.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole, but concluded that most of the very stable bags, are not ideal for bench shooting with a bipod.

I have been messing with bags that have enough give to adjust up, down and side to side to get on target. So far, biggest benefit is using real sand and not a light weight fill. Top of bag needs to be flat and smooth so stock rides it and can not get grabbed. I'm finding that different rifles need different size bags.

What I like most so far is two wedge shaped bags. I am using these from Midway, and plan on reproducing them with a sand fill, or refilling these with sand.
    16569349232909003507808848671642.jpg

Last edited:
    Old man with gun, hey what I resemble that, I plan on using the Thunder Beast bipod up front. The feet will be on a rubber 1/2” pad to isolate them from recoil. This is where I am looking for a rear bag that will give me more stability over just a square bag. It will be from what I call the fat belly prone. Stability will be just under bench rest.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
    anything with heavy fill sand that meets your shooting style

as long as it's fine heavy sand, it will work... how well is up to how you use it/preference

Reactions: cro789