• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear bag recommendations

Space Jam Darimon

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
Looking for recommendations for a quality rear bag. Currently I use a wadded up sweater that does ok.

The primary use would be shooting from a bench. The range I frequent, goes from 0 degree angle at 100 yards to 45 degree angle at 700 yards. I’m guessing I could use one bag and just raise the bipod on the front to accomadate the difference in elevation.

Primary fields that would use it, sit in a chassis but would also be used with a standard stock.

Looking for recommendations for a quality rear bag. Currently I use a wadded up sweater that does ok.

The primary use would be shooting from a bench. The range I frequent, goes from 0 degree angle at 100 yards to 45 degree angle at 700 yards. I’m guessing I could use one bag and just raise the bipod on the front to accomadate the difference in elevation.

Primary fields that would use it, sit in a chassis but would also be used with a standard stock.
45 degrees? Seriously? If so that's a TON of angle. I'd say you're gonna need a crapload of bipod to make that work if it's out on the end of the forend, we're talking CkyePod double-pull territory. I have an Atlas Cal, the one that maxes around 9", and I think if I maxed the height and dropped the buttstock on the bench I'd still be well shy of 45 degrees. No rear bag selection is gonna fix that.

Now, leaving all that aside, I'm curious about rear bags too, I have yet to fall in love with one. I can say I've tried the tiny little ultralight pillow style, filled with poly fluff, and it's vastly less stable than my heavy-fill Schmedium.

45 might be a bit steep, 35-40 would be pretty close. The benches sit in the bottom of a coulee and the targets are up on the hillside.

Ordered a Precision Underground 3D ELR bag last week. Just got a confirmation tracking that it’s on the way. These bags are made to order. Seems there’s a lot of recommendations on PU. So I pulled the trigger on one. I have all kinds of rear bags. This might be the one.

Have a Schmedium and a PU 3D ELR. The 3D is stupid solid (the special locking fill is legit) and while I mostly use the schmediun as a front bag with a plate it is really versatile. You can run it flipped over like a bunny ears bag, run it with the “feet” down and squeeze it, set it on its side like a wedge, etc. It’s quite the multi-tool.

How about Sgt Marc Taylor’s rear bags. Students from Marc and Frank’s classes seem to dig them.
cheers,

Reactions: Stang66

TAB Gear. Nice stuff.

VooDoo

Reactions: nikonNUT
Ordered a Precision Underground 3D ELR bag last week. Just got a confirmation tracking that it’s on the way. These bags are made to order. Seems there’s a lot of recommendations on PU. So I pulled the trigger on one. I have all kinds of rear bags. This might be the one.
I have the same one. Being the bag is different in length, width and height, it gives the shooter three different heights to us making it very versatile.

Depending on the terrain/conditions and rifle, I use Tab Rear Bag (lg and sm), PU Mini ELR and AG Schmedium GC. I almost exclusively shoot prone.

T

Another vote for Precision Underground - although I will say that after heavy use I am starting to have fill material leak out of one of the corners. Not a lot - maybe 5-6 beads a session. I suppose the easy fix is to just duct tape it.

Another vote for Precision Underground - although I will say that after heavy use I am starting to have fill material leak out of one of the corners. Not a lot - maybe 5-6 beads a session. I suppose the easy fix is to just duct tape it.
Maybe try taking it to a tailor shop. They might be able to patch it.

I have the same one. Being the bag is different in length, width and height, it gives the shooter three different heights to us making it very versatile.
Thanks I went over and looked on their site quite a few hav chimed in on that bag!

I got a lot of positive input on here thanks everyone for your info…the PU is looking like a winner for my use!
Next project is building a more stable bench rest. Wanting to design one with wheels I can pull out of my barn with my riding mower then just lift the wheels so it sets stable.

If it’s leaking we want to know! Send it back and we’ll fix it! PM me if you want to.

I missed this thread before as I haven’t been on much lately, but we greatly appreciate all the good words! 👊🏼

I'm noticing a tremendous reduction in my horizontal movement with the precision underground bag.

I think I went with the ELR mini. I was going to send it in and have some fill removed but the more I shoot with it the more it seats in and gets nicer to use.

Last edited:
I'm noticing a tremendous reduction in my horizontal movement with the precision underground bag.

I think I went with the ELR mini. I was going to send it in and have some fill removed but the more I shoot with it the more it seats in and gets nicer to use.
Thanks brother we appreciate it 🤙🏼. When I sent the first bags into the wild a lot of people were a surprised by how full it is. It usually doesn’t take long for ppl to realize that it works much better this way, especially combined with the fill we use.

We’ve got a video showing a few small changes you can implement to make adjustments at the bag faster and easier. The good part is that those changes are actually a much better way to shoot no matter what bag you’re using. So it will make you shoot better but will also make you a better shooter. The techniques I learned while using our bags can now be applied to any bag and I can shoot pretty much just as good with a bag that has a poor design and not much stability.