• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear Bag Selection / Fill Weight / Rear Bag Technique

woojos

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Right now, I'd say the biggest factor in my hold is how consistent I can be with putting tension on the rear bag. I use one of the pre-manufactured ones with the poly fill which is relatively light.

If I do things right, i.e. am patient in getting NPOA and fully relaxed, things go well and I'm happy with how my ability to hold is progressing. The problem is if I get under a clock or am impatient, I end up muscling the bag to get my elevation lined up with just my hand but I feel the tension propagate all the way back up my arm into my upper back. I can still manage to get an OK shot off doing this, but I feel like I'm practicing bad habits when I do it.

Is this simply a skill that needs to be practiced, i.e. setting up NPOA rapidly with whatever bag?

Can benefit be had by moving to a rear bag with heavier fill? One of my shooting buddies has a jean leg sewn up and filled with sand, and it's stable as heck. I want one at least for shooting groups for load dev, but I don't know if it is the right choice for a light field bag.

Is there an accepted rear-bag technique that is taught in precision shootings schools?