• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear Bag Selection Help

nksmfamjp

Handloader
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Central OH
I need some help choosing a rear bag. Please don’t just tell me what bag you have. I have a weird set of requirements.

Ok weird requirements....
-I’m fat. I can lay on my stomach, but I’ll probably end up slightly higher than you skinny guys that just disappear into the earth.

-I am missing my left hand. On a bench, I can pressure bags a bit, but prone I need to work the rifle into the bag until I get a natural point of aim established. I think this is possible. And then give it a squeeze with my good hand to puff it up for the next shot. I’ve done this on the bench. It basically works.

So how do you choose a rear bag? Do you like the cylinders? Fortune cookie, flat bags?

I find it weird, but Erik Cortina uses a fortune cookie in all his videos as a rear bag....maybe I should try that??

Actually, this looks like a good one to try:

Looks like I could get things close with straps.

I just received a mini hunter’s wedge from Long Range Only that I really like so far. You might look into the full size one they offer.

Sand locks in well and will stay put. Are you looking for a heavy bag or a light bag?

I'm 6-1 and 260 so I get the big guy issues. I am up high on my elbows when shooting because I can't get to the ground like the skinny bitches. I struggled to find a rear bag tall enough but still small enough to grip with my off hand and manage the recoil movements. I settled on the Armageddon Mini Game changer with heavy sand fill.

The heavier (more sand like) the fill, the more stable the bag will be for you. Especially not having a support hand to help the bag. The bags like Cortina uses as a rear bag is used because they are trying to carry one bag for PRS style match. In general, using the larger bags is not the best solution because its difficult to control the sand under the rifle stock without the support hand squeezing the fill to the perfect position. Using a smaller bag that you can fully grip is the most solid method, - That being said...

I would suggest you to try the larger bags that are not meant to be a rear bag like Cortina uses. They might work the best for your unique shooting. I would recommend a full size game changer. It will be tall enough and with the heavy fill allow you to settle the rifle in the bag and get good support. You need the height it offers and the game changer has a zipper to allow you to change the volume of fill. If its too big, take some out or it its to small add some to it. You could go the Git-Lite fill route if you are worried about weight, but you'll sacrifice some of the stability due to the polymer fill. I had a sand filled mine and a Git-lite full size. I put half the sand fill from the mini in the full size to add weight and stability and put some of the Git-lite in the mini to reduce the weight of the mini. I have like the combination of fills so far.

1608662201598.png

1608662255553.png

Chat with precision underground. Maybe making a special bag that works for you is possible. Something that you can loop around your support "wrist" and role your forearm in and out to adjust the fill level below the rifle stock. Think "rolling up a tube sock" Maybe some material that is a bit stretchy to allow this better. Of a loose fill that you can pull the front of the bag back towards you and raise the fill level. Money will be the questions here.

If you can, send us a couple photos of your current shooting situation on a bench and then a couple of you in the prone too. We can try to help find a solution.

+1 on Precision Underground. Their locking fill will allow you to get it to where you want and then it should lock in since you're missing a left hand.

The other option you have is to get an adjustable bag rider and then really a standard, non moving bag would work and you can adjust your height by adjusting the bagrider.

Thanks guys we appreciate being a resource!

OP we’d be happy to set you up. I like the idea of an adjustable bag rider. It’s expensive but would be a good solution if paired with a bag that will stand up at a good height. We could do some type of strap that attaches to your wrist to pressure the bag but I’m not sure that would add much adjustment. PM me and I’ll get some info from you and we’ll see what we can come up with.

Reactions: Baron23 and theLBC
I can see that long term. I need to shoot some prone to figure out my struggles so I can be more clear talking to Precision Underground about a custom bag.

The Hunter's Wedge bag will allow you to set your bipod height and then adjust the rear bag forward and back so that you don't have to squeeze at all to make adjustments except micro ones.

This is a bag that I make for guys shooting ELR. It has a flat bag underneath if you need, especially being a big guy.

A bigger bag is likely going to be what you want. I shoot with a big guy that uses a big pillow type bag and rests his chest on it and then also the rifle stock.

Attachments

• 20201130_181330.jpg
    20201130_181330.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 92
I can see that long term. I need to shoot some prone to figure out my struggles so I can be more clear talking to Precision Underground about a custom bag.
Crucial info will be a very accurate assessment of how tall do you need your stock to sit. Then we can set you up a bag that puts you there. Bonus would be to do that with the adjustable bag rider so you could go up or down as needed. Something like our 3d ELR that you could set on 3 different heights plus an adj bag rider would give you plenty of options for different heights

Reactions: Baron23
Yea, I think I will get out with my bipod and some basic sandbags. When I get the height range figured out that fits my natural point of aim, then I will understand the height range and can go chasing a bag.

I like that wedge shape as a way to get a height, but I thought I wanted the rifle to slide over the bag like when I’m shooting benchrest?? Don’t I?

It’s pretty hard to beat the PU 3D bag for ease of use and stability.
Get the light fill if you need to pack it around.

Reactions: Baron23
Yea, I think I will get out with my bipod and some basic sandbags. When I get the height range figured out that fits my natural point of aim, then I will understand the height range and can go chasing a bag.

I like that wedge shape as a way to get a height, but I thought I wanted the rifle to slide over the bag like when I’m shooting benchrest?? Don’t I?

what kind of stock on your rifle?

perhaps we have completely different stock types so i am not sure this is going to help...
my stock digs in and rocks with the bag rather than sliding freely over the top of it, although i have seen "bag riders" made to do that.
this is true whether i am using the precision underground 3D ELR bag or the pint sized sticky game changer from armageddon gear.
*but the bottom of my stock is not "smooth".

jmo, but lightweight bag for hunting doesn't necessarily need to work like a bench top bag for shooting groups and spotting your shots.

anyway, using the more dense and stable 3D ELR and the softer light weight game changer, i tried different methods of adjusting the poa without being able to "squeeze" the bag with my left hand.
the ELR has different length sides, so raw height adjustments are easy by flipping the bag one way or the other, however the dense filling that gives the bag so much stability once your stock is buried into it makes it more difficult to make fine adjustments without being able to squeeze the bag with my offhand.

if i lay the game changer on its side, it becomes a wedge. i was able to make raw adjustments by placing my stock into different part of this wedge (higher or lower). i was to push the wedge further under the stock with my left arm to raise it, and using a combination of the grip hand to nestle the stock down into the bag and my arm to push more of the bag under the stock, i achieved a decent amount of control over the poa.

based on this, i think you want some kind of tapered bag. like this, but perhaps with a soft top or ears for more lateral support.
not my rifle or bag...

DNu1qmuWAAEsvO_.jpg

My stock I’m trying to work with is an MDT LSS chassis with their skeleton buttstock.
ok, then that is similar to my scar 20s, although i am usually riding on a folded monopod i keep on it.
i am able to dig my stock into the gc bag because of the light/loose fill, but you'd probably want something wider than that pint sized.
i think a larger tapered bag your stock can sink into would work well.
i pm'd the guy at precision underground about a completely different idea, but it isn't something i can test without making one.
while it could work for you (if it works at all) it might be something other people might want to use as well.

i was also thinking you could use a bag for lateral support and a monopod for fine elevation.
this isn't how i use it, but it is another option if you can add a rail section to mount a monopod on your chassis.
an accushot monopod that adjusts from the top would probably be easier for you than the one on my rifle shown here.
you would mount the monopod forward so the bag doesn't hit your chest, but i was too lazy to move it.
KOcXLY5.jpg

Last edited:

If you’re set up/aiming correctly the rifle may slide on the bag but it will return to its original position because the rifle can’t physically move your whole body. This will only happen if your body is the rifle’s main conduit to the ground. I think a lot of guys are smashing their stock into the bag and using it to connect the rifle to the ground. IMO that’s not fundamentally correct way to aim or drive the rifle. It can work if you have little or no recoil but that’s where the fun stops.

As for the fundamentals of aiming, you need great body position and great rifle connection to the body. This is where your aim should come from- your body is in a neutral position and the rifle is connected to you in a neutral way with no steering. Luckily you only need your firing hand to accomplish that. For the bag you just need something that’s the right height to fit into the space created when you’re set up correctly. The bag is there to make the reticle be still, not to aim the rifle. It may sound crazy but you should have an EASIER time learning good fundamentals because it will be harder to cheat and use the bag as your main aiming mechanism. Guys look at me funny when I tell them rear bags aren’t for aiming lol. Our bags are hands down the best if you are trying to aim that way because they lock in place. But once you learn to use a true NPA by utilizing your body rather than the bag the whole game changes.

If you’re set up/aiming correctly the rifle may slide on the bag but it will return to its original position because the rifle can’t physically move your whole body. This will only happen if your body is the rifle’s main conduit to the ground. I think a lot of guys are smashing their stock into the bag and using it to connect the rifle to the ground. IMO that’s not fundamentally correct way to aim or drive the rifle. It can work if you have little or no recoil but that’s where the fun stops.

As for the fundamentals of aiming, you need great body position and great rifle connection to the body. This is where your aim should come from- your body is in a neutral position and the rifle is connected to you in a neutral way with no steering. Luckily you only need your firing hand to accomplish that. For the bag you just need something that’s the right height to fit into the space created when you’re set up correctly. The bag is there to make the reticle be still, not to aim the rifle. It may sound crazy but you should have an EASIER time learning good fundamentals because it will be harder to cheat and use the bag as your main aiming mechanism. Guys look at me funny when I tell them rear bags aren’t for aiming lol. Our bags are hands down the best if you are trying to aim that way because they lock in place. But once you learn to use a true NPA by utilizing your body rather than the bag the whole game changes.
i agree here. the height of the rear is controlled by the height of my body and the stock is connected to my shoulder pocket.
while this is generally true, i need the bipod to have a minimal amount of grip so that it pushes back against me.
i am not "loading" or pushing against the bipod beyond the weight of the rifle itself.
very much like this, which is why i like spikes in dirt or loose gravel.

when i cannot get the bipod to push back, i will use the bag more actively.