• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear bag suggestions...

Re: Rear bag suggestions...

It's really going to depend on how low you can go.

The reason behind the square design is that you can go to almost touching the ground to six inches of height and be good to go.

If you prefer a higher position you will probably want to go with one of Redman's Bags. When I first started sewing I stitched up a log type bag, but it just didn't work for me. It did work well for one of our other Snipers. I gave him that bag since his sock came apart, and he still uses it.

I have been using the triad bag for about a year now and has worked very good either vertical or horizontal depending on elevation needed. It took a long time to trade up from a sock with beans sewn up as most of the older shooters started and deployed with.

Hey LoneWolf- I couldn't tell for certain from that site if it was indeed you who is making and selling these. If that's the case, I'm tempted to purchase one purely from the help and guidance you've given me alone!
smile.gif

Answering your PM momentarily...

Another side question- do the fillings in these vary widely, or is there pretty much a consistent feel to them across the board? I've used everything from sand bags to a bunched up towel- I guess my only requirements are that it hold shape well and not be of too large a grain so I can fine tune. Thoughts?

The consistency depends greatly on fill.

The poly beads that many of us use will hold shape with pressure applied, but when you release them, they will settle. That is one aspect where the old sand sock excels at. The disadvantage of course is weight and even more if it gets wet.

I have the GA Precision rear bag. It's a good bag that you can adjust fill the level with the poly beads. Which in a way is its downside also, if you lay the bag on its side, not careful and apply too much pressure the velcro closure could pop open and possibly spill the beads.

When you guys use sand what would you hold it in with so it doesnt come through the sock somehow??

Double up the sock. Some will come out, but that's life.

Some guys use plastic bags inside, but that can be problematic.

Basically, take a sock and fill the toe portion with sand to the size you want.
Tie a knot as close to the sand ball as possible.
Pull the top of the sock down over the sand ball and top knot.
Tie another knot so the whole shebang is contained in the "calf" portion of the sock.

You now have the Mk1 Mod0 sand sock that shooters have been using forever.

You can use beans or other stuff in there to make it lighter, but they can suck up water and rot.

If you want a cheap way to make a pretty light and durable version, then do what I described above with poly-pellets instead of sand. You can find them at your local craft store. They are what they fill beanie-babies and such with.

Yeah can someone post a pic of these poly beads everyone's referring to? I'm bored at work and need gun/gear pr0n of any kind to help shepherd me through
smile.gif

Heh, I saw that bag earlier - should be the next smack the smiley target if you ask me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another side question- do the fillings in these vary widely, or is there pretty much a consistent feel to them across the board? I've used everything from sand bags to a bunched up towel- I guess my only requirements are that it hold shape well and not be of too large a grain so I can fine tune. Thoughts? </div></div>

Here is a thread with some comparative information on a few of the bags that are popular here on SH.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1440385#Post1440385

I have the TAB and the Redman bags. I prefer the Redman personally. Mostly it has to do with the fill. The beads seem to slide on each other better and with one squeeze you can go from short to tall. That to me is unlike sand which is heavy and you get very little elevation out of a squeeze. I almost never turn the Redman on end unless I am in a very wierd position. The TAB beads seem to bind a little more and I end up trying multiple sides to get things right. Great quality bag though. Come to think of it, the Tab uses a different weight fabric I think, that could be what I'm feeling.

I just got a tab and I love it. My first real rear bag. I slipped it around my hand and it just seemed to find the position I needed without any thought.