• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear Bag

BillyNg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Hartsdale, NY
Very unexciting to most, but as my first ever sewing project beyond basic clothing repair for my family, I built a rear bag tonight and am quite proud of it. Filled it up with a bunch of blue aquarium gravel I had in the house. It isn't much, but it came out far better than I ever expected it to. 4" x 6". Material is called duck cotton (a heavy canvas cotton). Wanted Cordura, but my local fabric supply had no idea what that was.

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_222516.jpg
    IMG_20191025_222516.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 80
that looks perfect....truly really nice, i'm so impressed.

unfortunately i never took the time to learn how to use a sewing machine. I might have to check out the local thrift store, sounds like a cool project to learn on. Doubt it'll look as nice as yours however.

Nice first article
Amazon is a decent source for cordura nylon and I’ve been using plastic beads intended for filling dolls at Hobby Lobby

Reactions: acudaowner
I liked that you added a zipper rather than just a closed bag you can either remove or add in the future if you want to is a nice touch . A great diy project .

Wow, thank you all for the nice words. As far as learning to sew, I took an old t-shirt that was done-for, and started playing. Youtube was a great help for things like zippers and what different thread is for. The Jason of All Trades has a good channel for sewing guy stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/thejasonofalltrades

And as far as the zipper goes, this is my first rear bag. So I wasn't sure how much to fill it. The zipper was as must.

Thanks again all.

Looks great! I learned in middle school and then again through Youtube. It's a great skill that helps when you have kids.

I have been using the sewing machine that my mother bought before I was born.
63BA897F-6599-49FF-8998-7203F821687B.jpeg

Fill material - I chose it for availability - I’m open to suggestions
3DB91B65-3B18-409D-B148-6A11D9113F10.jpeg

A few of the bags I’ve made
82DC80FB-08A0-4D0D-BC4B-76F9348A96F0.jpeg

Old BDU pants, old jeans, etc. are good sources for cheap material as well.

I had my wife make me one as well. 3x5x7, I think, filled with air soft beads. I really enjoy the 3 options for height. The beads work well. But I've been thinking about getting some of the get lite fill and see how that goes.

I've gone round and round trying to make the perfect bag. The weighted poly beads are the best I've found for density and form.
These are a smaller version I've made, it's about 2.5" tall x 4" wide and 8" long, but can be varied a bit in volume.

IMG_5428.jpg

And for those of you rolling your own, nice work. While I have too many hobbies, I seem to make the time to work on my own gear. I started with a $40 kenmore about 5 years ago...

IMG_1428.jpg

I had my wife make me one as well. 3x5x7, I think, filled with air soft beads. I really enjoy the 3 options for height. The beads work well. But I've been thinking about getting some of the get lite fill and see how that goes.

Thank you for the idea. I thought the 3 size bag was better than my cylinder, so I built one. I thinks it's a little big, so am going to build one that's 2x4x6.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_214338.jpg
    IMG_20191027_214338.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 32