• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rear floating tang

Cuban Croc

Petty Officer Third Class
Minuteman
May 11, 2005
Dallas, Texas
What advantage is it to have a floating rear tang?

I have heard this term used w/Savages, but never w/Remington. I just received my new Manner stock w/Badger chassis system inletted for a Remington 700 action. The instructions stated to crank the front action screw to 65in.lbs and the rear to 45in. lbs because the rear tang floats.

So, I don't understand the floating rear tang.

In the scheme of things not a big deal....just adding it to my plethora of knowledge.

Thanks for the input.

-Al

Re: Rear floating tang

Not a gunsmith but here are my thoughts. The rear tang on a Remington has an action screw that attaches to it and therefore the tang should be bedded as it is supported (presumably by a pillar). On a Savage the rear action screw is in front of the trigger assembly. As the action is tightened any high spot in the tang area will cause stress in the action because they will be pushing on an area that is unsupported. I have read in many places not to bed the tang of Savage rifles. I have also read that the tang area can be bedded as long as the bedding job is stress free. On my savage rifles I do not bed the tang and they shoot very well.

Thanks chemist1.

I guess guess my question is why did Badger build this w/a floating tang?

I'm trying to compare this logic to AICS, Whiskey chassis, etc.

Should a person always tighten the front first? Does any of the other chassis systems bind at all and/or not sit flush against the action?

Al, which instructions say that, the stock's or the badger bottom metal's? I have a badger M-5 here with instructions and it says nothing about a "floating rear tang" on anything.

As stated above, the remington tang has an action screw right on it so it is impossible to float it. I would torque both screws to 65 in/lb.

I'll post the instructions that came w/the stock on Monday ... Unless someone else has a copy lying around.

The instructions state 65 front 45 rear due to the chassis is designed to have a floating rear tang.

Not a big deal. Just find it interesting. I wonder how many people just throw the action in the chassis and just torque it down to 65 in lbs.

Joe D. .... Love my T2 you did for me awhile back. Thanks.

fb07ddf2.jpg

20482bdf.jpg

I ran into a problem with a Skunkworks action built by deffiance and a mini chassis. If you tighten the rear action screw alone it picks the whole front of the action and barrel up. Now anyone can see that when you tighten both screws the action will be in a bind. I assume that action has a slightly diff tang than a Rem, but there's no way I'm running it without bedding it, which kinda defeats the whole drop in chassis. I love manner's stocks, but I see the whole floating tang thing as a problem, and no kind of advantage.

The problem isn't so much the mini-chassis, but the non-uniform OD of a factory receiver. My best guess as to the intentions of Manners' instructions is to get the front portion of the receiver firmly affixed to the chassis, and then let the rear tang end up wherever it may. If it contacts the chassis, fine; if it doesn't, then tightening the rear screw to a moderate torque value will hopefully prevent putting too much stress into the receiver.

It's my (amateur) opinion that chassis systems are great if using a custom receiver with precise external dimensions, but ol' fashion bedding is going to work best on factory receivers that apparently obtained their OD via a belt sander.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran into a problem with a Skunkworks action built by deffiance and a mini chassis. If you tighten the rear action screw alone it picks the whole front of the action and barrel up.</div></div>The Manners mini chassis did just what it was supposed to do, any V block chassis will do this. The MCS-mini chassis is a V block design system, which in our opinion is the best design to fit the original purpose of the mini chassis. The original purpose of the mini chassis was to develop a high end, drop in and go DBM system for a tactical/hunting stock with ability to be used with a wide varity of actions that did not require bedding. The key word here is “ wide Varity of actions”. This was the hardest part of the design. . Even actions from the same manufacture will not always be of the same diameter, shape, or even straight. To correct some of this difference, we designed the chassis so that it actually contacts the action in about five different points. First - the back of the lug area, Second/Third - about 1” contact on both sides of the action from the lug area backward, Fourth/Fifth – both sides of the tang area from the back action screw forward. The complete tang does not float only the very tip of the tang. The reasons that the bottom of the action and the tip of the tang float, is that not all actions are the same diameter and we want to make sure that the action is draw down and centered in the chassis. I would much rather have the action setting centered in a V block than one that is rocking side to side on the bottom of the action. In a perfect world the best chassis design would be a 100% machined, contoured, and matched fit to each action, but its not a perfect world.

I think what happens is that guy’s loose site on what the mini chassis was designed for. During the first test on the prototype chassis we took one of my older Rem 700 6mmBR guns and used it as a test bed. This gun will easily shoot in the very low .200” groups all day long. The first groups where shot in the fully bedded 100% carbon fiber bench rest stock. Then we droped it into an MCS-T4A with a mini chassis. The groups opend up about .100”. Was the .100” due to the chassis or because we went from a full bench gun riding in mechanical front/rear rests/bags, which was shot free recoil to a tactical stock shot off a bipod and a rear bag? Being a stock maker I got a pretty good idea on what caused the groups to open up, not all of the difference, but a lot was due to the way the two stocks road the bags or lag of.

Bottom line is, do what gives you the most confidence in your rig. You can have a million dollar rig, but if you don’t have confidence in it, you aint going to hit shit. Some guys will bed the chassis just like they do a AI, others will do just the lug. But most ( 99% ) will just bolt it up and go. The chassis are proven shooters, if not builders would not offer them in 1/2moa guaranted builds. Keep in mind the purpose of the chassis when I say, I dont think you are going to gain anything by doing a full bed job on a chassis, if you are building a gun that you plan on bedding, do a full pillar bed job from the start. When I build my own personnel guns, if it is a tatical comp gun I use a chassis. On the other hand, if I am doing a full blown F-class, or bench gun, where I am going to gain all the advantages of the stock and other equipment, I do a full stress free pillar bed job. Again do what gives you the most confidence.
Thank you very much,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem isn't so much the mini-chassis, but the non-uniform OD of a factory receiver. My best guess as to the intentions of Manners' instructions is to get the front portion of the receiver firmly affixed to the chassis, and then let the rear tang end up wherever it may. If it contacts the chassis, fine; if it doesn't, then tightening the rear screw to a moderate torque value will hopefully prevent putting too much stress into the receiver.

It's my (amateur) opinion that chassis systems are great if using a custom receiver with precise external dimensions, but ol' fashion bedding is going to work best on factory receivers that apparently obtained their OD via a belt sander. </div></div>

my opinion is that it has nothing to do with the non-uniform od of a factory receiver and everything to do with the boat-tail shape of the remington tang. as it radiuses in, it gets away from the vee block contact point and "floats". unfortunately, the rear screw is a rch behind the last point of contact which cause actions in a vee block chassis to fail the so called "stress test". even a perfectly machined aftermarket receiver with the same shape rear tang as a remington will fail the "stress test" too. a cylinder, even a non-perfect one will find the center of a vee. the front ring is doing almost all of the work in a remington style action in a vee blcok chassis. going off of memory here so i could be wrong, i think it would take over 250 lbs of axial force to move the receiver based on the front ring and single 1/4-28 screw alone. this is not even taking the recoil lug into consideration.

i'm not scared to use a factory receiver in a vee block chassis. my match rifle is visibly bent when rolling it on a surface plate. i drop it into my non-bedded vee block chassis and it shoots absolutely great.