• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear gun support in the field (?)

Turkeytider

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
At the range, of course one has front and rear support for the gun. In my case, bags fore and aft. In the field, may well have something to rest on up front, but not likely to have a rear bag. I`ve tried with the gun snugly in my shoulder and the butt supported by my left hand but I still get movement and resulting effects on impact down range. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why not a rear bag in the field?

If you have a stable enough tripod, you can always forgo a bipod and rear bag for one. Especially if you are already going to be carrying one anyways. Just be sure to practice with it if the shots actually count for something (like hunting).

Lightweight and dual purpose rear bag, stuffed anything/glove in glove (thin deerskin)

Attachments

• B4C7E138-DDC3-4054-AB94-BC07797CD2D2.jpeg
    B4C7E138-DDC3-4054-AB94-BC07797CD2D2.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: DMP
My Pint sized GameChanger goes anywhere my rifle goes.

Your pack makes a great rest from a trip pod. If your prone a lite rear bag can help immensely. Definitely practice for how you plan to be shooting. A lot of elk hunters on our flat range sitting behind a cozy bench touting their new rifles accuracy 😁 Throw them in the prone or sitting supported behind a tri pod and dammed if their groups don't jump to 2-3 moa.
IMG_20220915_130830.jpg

If the constraint is weight, check out Traust bags. Their regular rear bag is 9 ozs.

Not my preference for a primary range bag, but perfect for a lightweight bag that you want for the field to get some level of rear support.

Mile High sells them.

I forgot I have a couple of their bags. Now that I remember that, I'm going to take them hunting this year.

Reactions: DJL2
This make a surprisingly good, lightweight rear bag:

plus a few bags of this (leave it in the bag or fill a ziplock) the link goes to wal mart for polyfill beads

Reactions: Dayandnight