• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rear monopod on Sako TRG

SoldierofFortune1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
I am looking for a rear Monopod that fits my Sako Trg 22!
I see on the Net this one from "Accushot" but i dont know ,maybe it doesnt works on my rifle?
Does everybody have a TRg 22 with a mounted rear monopod?

Pics.and answers are welcome!
thankx for ya help.............!!!

Re: rear monopod on Sako TRG

S.o.F.1, Thanks for the interest and we (Accu-Shot) are working on a TRG solution and will hit it hard once the Atlas bipod goes into production. We do have a TRG list for interested parties, email me at [email protected] if you want on it.

I was just looking at how to rig one up on my TRG-22. I have the folding stock and I find that the factory rear monopod isn't long enough when I use a Harris BRMS bipod. I have no idea how it functions with the factory Sako bipod because it's still unavailable. Sako is Sucko with availability of "accessories".

I bought a BT-12 PRM with the quick-knob upgrade and I'm looking for an good way to mount it to my stock. I can mount a short piece of picatinny rail to the stock metal but the pod would end up almost directly under the pistol grip. I think I'm going try and find a machinist to make me a custom mount that will work a bit further back towards the rear of the stock. In my head I see a piece that resembles a Warne style scope ring with a picatinny rail on the bottom. The whole thing split up the verticle and clamped around the tube portion of the stock with some nice recessed metric (after all it's a Sako) Allen Screws.
Well, I can dream...can't I?

I have been running the std on My TRG at several matches but it is really a hassel to keep tight as it is not a good fit.

DHanz, Thanks for the support and effort to get the BT12 mounted to your folder. I bought a TRG so I could R&D a monopod but I never thought the folder that had a monopod would be called into question. Is there not a way to make their monopod longer? Even by adding something to it? Send me a photo and I'll give you some suggestions. Send me pictures of their monopod and if you can a drawing or picture with notes of what you are thinking to do. Remember the BT12/13 can be mounted in a 90 degree position as well.

Jon Lester, Are you running a BT04 on the TRG? If so, inside the cut out forward of the hook area or behind the hook? A picture would be good.

The BT12/13 is a better choice for the standard TRG stock and I’ll work with you to get what you need.

My apologies to Kasey - I should have posted this a while back !

I purchased the rail mounted monopod and a short rail from Kasey. The original plan was to insert a length of bar in to the round hollow in the stock and then drill and tap through the stock to mount the rail.

I found that on my stock the hollow was somewhat off centre which would have made drilling a small hole without deflection a pain plus I wanted to get as neat an install of the rail as possible. The actual flat area on the stock is pretty small which would have resulted in a very short rail.

I took the stock to a friend wih a milling machine and we decided to cut an inlet in to the stock to seat the full rail. Rather than inserting a bar the hollow was filled with liquid Hysol metal epoxy (think liquid Devcon)and the screws coated with release and set in to it.

The final job is pretty damn neat and is not going to be moving in a hurry - thanks to my buddy Chris Blackburn for doing the real work !

The pics may make this ramble clearer....

TC

19092008045.jpg

Sorry the last pic is pretty blurry, these were just shots off my phone.

I can take clearer pics of the stock inlet etc if anyone needs them.

TC

TonyC, no apologies needed sir.

And I must say that is a beautiful thing you and your Smith came up with! That is a very nice solution and I appreciate you sharing it here.

With your permission I would like to add that to our website so others can see it as well as send to my POC at Sako. I had no idea that the hole in questions could/would be off center which really makes for a bit of a challenge if it is off by very much. And in that regard, is there any way to see a photo of this hole so I know how much one might find it off center? You can send any photos and email to; [email protected]

Kasey - no problem using the picture if the quality is good enough.

The hole was perhaps 1/8" off from the visual centreline of the stock - just enough to make drilling a bar tricky but obviously still possible.

If you wanted an easy, repeatable "home" install you would probably need a rail about an inch shorter than supplied. Clamp rail to stock, drill mounting holes through to hollow in stock, coat screws with release agent and insert, stand stock vertically and fill hollow with steel epoxy (liquid type easiest) and leave overnight ! Once set the screws and rail could be removed if required and would be as strong as any rear sling stud I own and even I could happily do that install.

Great product btw, I found my groups opened up from using a rear bag while I experimented with different holds on the monopod. I have found just light finger and thumb fine adjustment/hold worked better for me than holding hard to the monopod or giving any rear pressure - all good now !

cheers

TC

Only Pics I have now don't show it well. As for the model ,I really don't know Got it as a prize at a match that you supported(THANKS) but I do have one of the TRGs that the hole is waaaay off center and its a Bitch.

TonyC, Thanks for the permission and information. I will be in touch with Sako about the stock; I am surprised that there is that much tolerance there. Is there a name brand on the "Steel Epoxy"? I am unfamiliar with this product. I will reconsider what we will offer as a solution to this, I like what I see on your rifle but that is a bit much to ask an end user to do.

Jon Lester, if it attaches to a sling stud it is a BT04, if it is a rail mount then it is a BT12. I like the BT12 (as seen on TonyC's rifle) better on the TRG's than the BT04. The leg angle is better and the function is what it should be.

The stud mount on the TRG has been used by several customers with success but I have never been a fan nor have I tried this application because the leg, when deployed is angled back and when retracted looks to be hanging down. Furthermore, I suspect that the monopod and the stock do not mate very well, meaning there is a space between the two mating surfaces.

Kasey we used a Loctite product - I think Loctite® Hysol® 3472 A&B

I agree my milled stock would be too complex however I believe a shorter length of flat bottomed or slightly convex rail sitting on the horizontal (see photo) portion of the stock without use of a milled inlet would be easily home installed.

cheers

TC

Loctite rocks! We use 410 in some assemblies and it does as advertised. I'll check out what the Hysol 3472 A&B is all about, thanks.

So as I now understand it, you are milling only a small pocket to allow the end of the rail to clear the curve. I thought you had made a pocket for the entire rail length. Yes shorter rail very doable.

Mine is milled full length Kasey but only because I had access to the machine and more importantly someone I trusted to use it!

I think a 2" length of rail would sit happily on the flat portion of the stock without recourse to milling. Setting the mount screws through in to the epoxy filled hollow could be done at home with simple hand tools and it would not matter if the hollow was off centre.

Hope that's clearer!

TonyC you gotta tell me about the butt and cheek piece on there
"is it custom"

They are custom but the good news is that it is a guy from here (well Norway) called Terje that makes them to your spec.

I'll see if still have the thread.

TC

TonyC, very clear now, thanks!

cassanti, thanks for posting the photos up, in the 6th photo down, it looks like there is Aluminum under the "skin" did you put that there or is that part of the stock?

As a side note, I had no idea we had a customer in Guatemala, very cool.

kasey you welcome
it is part of the stock i just drill and tap
prety much it

and you have some more happy costumers arround here

Kasey,

the hollow in the stock is actually an aluminium (crazy english spelling) tube presumably set in at the moulding stage - this may well be the reason for the slight variation in relation to the centre line.

TC

Thanks TonyC, I have the drawing from Sako and that is what they are showing, side profile. Any chance the stud hole on your stock was off center? Or did you see the tube off center from the butt?

I hope I can still get the attention of some of the original contributors even though this post is about 5 months old. My question is, with the monopod located in the TRG stock "recess" the way a number of you have done, what length monopod do you recommend to provide the proper elevation control?

Whether you got the attention of the original contributors or not will yet be determined, but you sure saved me the trouble of searching through the archives. Thank you.

Thanks for your interest and here is the best way to find your answer, which in part depends on what you are using as a front rest. The ideal is to find a monopod that it's mid-range adjustment is the measurement you get when following the directions here; Sizing the Monopod

I am looking for a rear Monopod that fits my Sako Trg 22!
I see on the Net this one from "Accushot" but i dont know ,maybe it doesnt works on my rifle?
Does everybody have a TRg 22 with a mounted rear monopod?

Pics.and answers are welcome!
thankx for ya help.............!!!
My mate makes them ,he fitted mine and made me a custom rail for it

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_145152.jpg
    IMG_20181107_145152.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 55

My apologies to Kasey - I should have posted this a while back !

I purchased the rail mounted monopod and a short rail from Kasey. The original plan was to insert a length of bar in to the round hollow in the stock and then drill and tap through the stock to mount the rail.

I found that on my stock the hollow was somewhat off centre which would have made drilling a small hole without deflection a pain plus I wanted to get as neat an install of the rail as possible. The actual flat area on the stock is pretty small which would have resulted in a very short rail.

I took the stock to a friend wih a milling machine and we decided to cut an inlet in to the stock to seat the full rail. Rather than inserting a bar the hollow was filled with liquid Hysol metal epoxy (think liquid Devcon)and the screws coated with release and set in to it.

The final job is pretty damn neat and is not going to be moving in a hurry - thanks to my buddy Chris Blackburn for doing the real work !

The pics may make this ramble clearer....

TC
My mate did a good job for me .He makes the monopod plus makes up the rail

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_145152.jpg
    IMG_20181107_145152.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 50