• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear scope cap that doesn't mess up diopter adjustment

derek1ee

Private
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
It always bothers me that on scopes with non-locking diopter ring, the scope cap would often clamp onto it, which in turn (pun intended) turns the diopter ring when the scope cap is bumped on.

I suppose it's not a huge deal, because it's easy to reset it - simply make sure the scope cap is in the right orientation like when it's installed, and the diopter will be at the right adjustment.

But I figure the design can be improved. I've always wanted to make a ocular version of my objective scope cap, so here it is. The fix is really simple: just make the inner diameter at the diopter ring slightly oversized, so the scope cap clamps on the scope body (the yellow portion in the last photo) and not the ring. There are a few other features I'd like to add to it, but figured I'd share what I have for now and get everyone's feedback.

1711410605975.png

1711410635601.png

1711410526001.png

1711411483049.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichi and tnc
I’m interested.
I just sold my Athlon scope because the diopter didn’t lock. Right now, I only consider scopes with a locking diopter because this drives me nuts. If your scope cap solves this problem then I would be able to consider a new Vortex Gen3 Razor 6-36x for my precision rimfire build.

I just run a strip of electrician’s tape around the diopter ring once I have it set. Then throw a scope cap over that. This may be a more elegant solution. But, I think the best feature of the scope cap is the admonition to reset your zero. That’s F’n brilliant.

I also really like the bungee closure vs the typical coil spring.

Trying out some ideas...

1712377190560.png

1712377221453.png