• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear support .22 NRL

walkabout

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Devon, England
Hi
I have read that the rules changed for .22 NRL in the US.
They are now allowing more than one bag.
Also they have banned Tripods and shooting sticks.
Does this mean they cannot be used as rear support as well as front?
Cheers from across the pond.

NRL22 doesn't allow tripods or shooting sticks even as rear supports for the official course of fire.

Club stages and NRL22X are up to the match director's stage design and instructions.

NRL22 doesn't allow tripods or shooting sticks even as rear supports for the official course of fire.

Club stages and NRL22X are up to the match director's stage design and instructions.
Thanks 6.5SH for clarifying that, we are starting it at our local club here in the UK, wanted to get right from the start.
On another thing I see MONO pods being used sometimes as rear supports, long single poles.
Are these allowed?

Here are the rules:

Monopods are not specifically mentioned in the rules, so unless called out in the CoF, they’re allowed.

Thanks 6.5SH for clarifying that, we are starting it at our local club here in the UK, wanted to get right from the start.
On another thing I see MONO pods being used sometimes as rear supports, long single poles.
Are these allowed?
I'd say that would be considered a shooting stick based on the "long" description so likely applies as above.

The design and use goes back into antiquity.
shootingstick.jpg

There is also the classic walking stick/folding seat also called a shooting stick. And the plural "sticks" used as an ersatz tripod.
All of these existed more than a 100 years before the NRL, so to which does the rule apply? Common sense would say all.

Something like this:
Is what most think when monopod is mentioned and isn't specifically called out in the rules and is effectively no different than using a rear bag.

I can see them adding more description to clarify this like was done when some tried to insist that squatting was the same a standing.

If you read the courses of fire for this season and the past few you will notice stage instruction changes over time. These clearly are meant to limit things from becoming a gear race. This season the obvious targeted items are the triple pull bipods and gigantic void fill bags. You'll notice "nothing may support the rear of the rifle", "no part of the shooters equipment may touch the ground" and "the prop must primarily support the rifle" as recurring instruction themes.

A good rule of thumb to follow is try to read the stage instructions from the creator's point of view, what was their intent for how the stage was to be shot.

Wrong.

We need to get past the "if it isn't specifically outlawed then I'm doing it" BS.
Perhaps you haven't read the rules. Below is a direct quote, bold added for emphasis.

C. Equipment and Positional Shooting

1. Unless mentioned in the course of fire, any equipment may be used. The only exception to this is tripods and shooting sticks, which are never allowed. NRL22 shooters are considered to be the most welcoming participants in any shooting sport. Sharing of equipment, especially to new shooters, is highly encouraged. The bipod is not considered equipment and is part of the rifle system; however, it cannot be used to support the rifle while shooting in any unsupported position. The bipod does not have to be removed while shooting in an unsupported position. A sling is designed to provide a way to carry the rifle and also to assist in unsupported positional shooting. The sling may attach at 1 or 2 points to the rifle. It may have cuffs or adjustments to aid in unsupported positional shooting. A sling is the only authorized piece of equipment that may be used in any unsupported position.

ETA: In fairness, I wouldn't be mad if a MD looked at a walking cane bolted onto my buttstock and said "...no way." As with almost everything, MD discretion tends to govern.

Reactions: b6graham
We need to get past the "if it isn't specifically outlawed then I'm doing it" BS.
I used to be you.

Then after talking to some highly successful shooters I'm acquainted with, I found that trying things that are "outside the box" are a fun way to test my creativity in solving the problem. Sometimes the ideas work, sometimes they don't. I used to see "gaming" as cheating and unsportsmanlike, until I discovered that it's nothing more than finding as creative a way as possible to gain as much stability as possible for the COF within the specific exclusions presented in the Stage Brief. There's always a tradeoff, speed vs. stability. The fun part is trying to figure out the right balance between the two for the stage you're about to shoot and the task you're being asked to complete. Remember that this is supposed to be FUN, and nothing is as much fun as hitting targets.

It was funny at the World Champs in France last month, seeing shooters with a rifle, 2 bags, Magazine, fully deployed tripod trying to get everything in 2 hands and off the ground before the start of a stage.
Standing behind them ready to go on next thinking, what can I get rid of!

• Haha
Reactions: KnowNothing256
Perhaps you haven't read the rules. Below is a direct quote, bold added for emphasis.

C. Equipment and Positional Shooting

1. Unless mentioned in the course of fire, any equipment may be used. The only exception to this is tripods and shooting sticks, which are never allowed. NRL22 shooters are considered to be the most welcoming participants in any shooting sport. Sharing of equipment, especially to new shooters, is highly encouraged. The bipod is not considered equipment and is part of the rifle system; however, it cannot be used to support the rifle while shooting in any unsupported position. The bipod does not have to be removed while shooting in an unsupported position. A sling is designed to provide a way to carry the rifle and also to assist in unsupported positional shooting. The sling may attach at 1 or 2 points to the rifle. It may have cuffs or adjustments to aid in unsupported positional shooting. A sling is the only authorized piece of equipment that may be used in any unsupported position.

ETA: In fairness, I wouldn't be mad if a MD looked at a walking cane bolted onto my buttstock and said "...no way." As with almost everything, MD discretion tends to govern.
I read that wrong, and I was speaking in reference to a shooting stick.

A monopod, knock yourself out. As silly as they are if you want to run it I'll watch.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I read that wrong, and I was speaking in reference to a shooting stick.

A monopod, knock yourself out. As silly as they are if you want to run it I'll watch.
I think if I were the MD and someone rolled up with a 2-3 ft stick bolted to the toe of their stock, I’d let them run it for the laughs, fully agreed.

I’d say no if they wanted to use it like a tripod rear though, pinched against the side of the stock. Too much like a tripod, and too likely to work decently haha

Reactions: Ruff 364
If you have a question about a way you want to do something....ask your MD privately in advance of game day. The MD can then immediately give you an answer with plenty of time to review it or check with higher if need be.

If you are there on the day and just then see a better way. ALWAYS ask the MD first! Walk up quietly to the MD prior to your run. "Hey can I use my XYZ or do ABCD on that barricade? Or is that illegal?"

If you put the MD on the spot...he might just quickly say no and that's the end of it...rules be damned. Cuz MD's have the final say no matter what.

The MD might say, "yeah go for it." and then your free and clear. If the squad doing the spotting/scoring balks during your run, the MD should be there knowing it might cause a stir and quickly deconflict it while your shooting.

When a shooter gets the go ahead its always funny to watch the monkey see monkey do mindset of others afterward when you've found a smarter way. When you don't appear to have the right...your an asshole. But once the thumbs up is given....everybody is on board with doing it too.

But ever don't try to skirt the COF without asking beforehand....as the MD can very quickly and very easily shitcan your stage run afterward and then your pretty much done as far as winning the day.

And if you intend to shoot multiple matches a month. Get permission from each MD. Don't assume one MD next week will allow it just because the last one did.

And have a plan if they shut you down. Be ready to shoot the stage regardless.

These days i just roll my eyes watching shooters try to manage two pillow bags, 3 game changers, 1 attached to a arca, sling, magazine changes, parallax, elevation, bipod on the clock while also trying to find the small ass targets after each move on the barricade with their zoom @ 20.

Last one that caught me off guard? Shooting from the "open end of the bucket" - dude just brought a piece of plywood and put it on top of the bucket and shot it from it. "All gear in hand" amiright.....

Personally, I've learned to just use my trusted game changer for 90% of the stages and use fundamentals. Used to run with a pillow bag, and still occasionally do. It's still fun.

Your mileage might vary

Reactions: DFOOSKING
The open ended bucket stage was interesting, I had a friend that mentioned that maybe he would just bring a bucket lid and pop on top of the open bucket. He didn’t, but the thought was there. And I don’t think he would’ve been against the rules as written.