• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear takedown screw loosens

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
At times my rear takedown screw will loosen as I fire, causing accuracy to fall off. I bring a screw driver with me in case it happens. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas about what I should do about it? The only thing I can really think of is some blue loc tite.

Re: Rear takedown screw loosens

That works. Or you might be able to find a NYLOK screw to replace it...or the "poor-man's loctite"...slightly bugger the threads on the screw with a pair of pliers.

Thanks for the tip. I did some damage to a few threads and now I don't think it's going anywhere. If it does then I guess my next step will have to be adding some loc tite.

Is your action bedded? If it isn't, I'd bed it.

It sounds like you are getting a vibration in the action which is causing the screw to loosen.

^ That is the definite cause. I can hear it when I fire the rifle. Sometimes even if someone with a high power rifle fires right next to me.

I made some mods to the screw and washer surface and torture tested it today. The screw didn't budge and the rifle was as accurate as usual. 35 rounds inside 1.3" at 50. I can still hear the vibration though.