• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear tang on Savage Model 10 floated?

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Why does the rear tang on savage need to be floated? Is that with all stocks? Does it generate that much pressure? I have a new B&C A2 Medalist on a model 10 FP-SR. I had an occasional flier that I cant explain. Could that be the cause? I've yet to torque the action screws but will before shooting again. From my other post I believe it is 50 inch pounds

Re: Rear tang on Savage Model 10 floated?

The rear action screw is in front of the tang on a Savage. If the rear screw is to tight, or you have bedded the tang, or the stock is putting pressure on it, it could tweak the action a bit causing problems with accuracy. I don't remember the specifics on how, but maybe this will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rear action screw is in front of the tang on a Savage. If the rear screw is to tight, or you have bedded the tang, or the stock is putting pressure on it, it could tweak the action a bit causing problems with accuracy. I don't remember the specifics on how, but maybe this will help. </div></div>

He's correct. It tweaks the action just enough to cause problems with accuracy.

I filed away the back of my Choate floating the tang and left out the rear trigger guard screw (I have a CDI bottom metal and the guard is part of the BM) that pulls on the rear of the action behind the 2 action screws and it tightened up my groups 1/2"-3/4".

we all told you this in the other thread man. just relieve the area til it floats. sand it down, grind it down if you have dremel self control. when they all told me to float it, i did. even the bedding posts say to float it. why? for a stress free result, for optimum performance, because. thats why. no one reason is any better. but its floated.