• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reasonable Accuracy from LAR-15 Predator Pursuit

JsnSanko

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
So got a brand new Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit in .223. Shot it for the first time today. Loves Federal Premium 69g Match. Like 3/8 to 5/8 of and inch accuracy for three shots. Gun shoots better than I do because for 5 I just to an inch and know it is me. Lots of groups under an inch. Couple groups with pulled and called fliers that were under an inch. Well it's me and I cheaped out on a scope and have a $200 Nikon on an expensive gun.

So ordered a finer reticle tactical 6-18 Leopold Mark-AR for it. Problem is no other ammo tried came any where close to under 1". This included 77g Fed Match, 60g Hornady TAP (really disliked this stuf 1 1/2"), 55g Honady TAP, 53 g Hornady Varmit Express, 40g Hornady Varmit Express (2" for 5 shots.

So am I stuck just shooting 69g pills? Any otehr sugesstions on what to try ammo wise? Not reloading yet but am thinking of starting.

What are some of you other RRA Varmit style rifle guys getting for accuracy?

Re: Reasonable Accuracy from LAR-15 Predator Pursu

I dont have the pursuit, but have done well with 50gr ballisitic tips in my RRA

My friends PP shoots well with BH 77 red box, you might want to try that. It's a 1:8 twist so it will shoot the 77's you just need to find a load it likes in 77. His Larue Stealth doesn't shoot the BH 77gr very well though and he's convinced the gun doesn't like 77's because it doesn't like that load which is PP does even though it's the only 77gr load he has tried. That's a story for another topic though.

If red box 77 doesn't shoot well try the blue box and also HSM's 77SMK load. Between those three it's gotta like atleast one.

Do stay away from the hornady superformance though, it doesn't seem to shoot for a shit in gas guns and blows shit all over you.

Have a RRA Varmint 20" with 1:8
Consistently shoots 0.5 MOA out to 400 yds with 75 gr handloads
(Hornady Match bullet)

Hornady Superformance factory loads shot really well , although too hot (primers ruptured on most cases)

Have NF 3.5-15 glass on top.

I have a RRA varmint 20" bbl and 1:8 twist. It loves 69 grain Black Hills red box ammo. I tried the 77 grain, 55 grain, and 62 grain and this is the best grain so far so I will stick with it. This is the results on my 3rd time to the range with it. I know it will do better but I am not not really used to the rifle and trigger yet. Leupold 8.5-25 on top. (sorry for the sideways picture)
2011-10-06_20-00-02_275.jpg
[/img]

Mine is a 20" tube. Great gun. Bought it to really replace a bolt gun for coyotes to be honest. I really have come to like to shoot the two AR's I have now. Ordered a bunch of crap to start reloading for them. It shoots 69 and 77s ok. The 69's just seem to be tighter.

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group_21.JPG

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group9.JPG

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group_3.JPG

Seems to string them a little sideways but is dead on. I think that is the me getting used to the two stage trigger versus a bolt gun. I am happy with them. Was shooting prone off of the bipod with a sand bag rear. It will be prone with a pack rear for yotes. So want to sight in like I will shoot in the field. My put in on a bench rig next time out. Would like to find a load combo that accurate for yotes though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JsnSanko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is a 20" tube. Great gun. Bought it to really replace a bolt gun for coyotes to be honest. I really have come to like to shoot the two AR's I have now. Ordered a bunch of crap to start reloading for them. It shoots 69 and 77s ok. The 69's just seem to be tighter.

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group_21.JPG

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group9.JPG

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Group_3.JPG

Seems to string them a little sideways but is dead on. I think that is the me getting used to the two stage trigger versus a bolt gun. I am happy with them. Was shooting prone off of the bipod with a sand bag rear. It will be prone with a pack rear for yotes. So want to sight in like I will shoot in the field. My put in on a bench rig next time out. Would like to find a load combo that accurate for yotes though. </div></div>

Very nice. The pursuit I ordered is also a 20". I wanted a few upgrades on mine so I had to order it. It is killing me having to wait 60-90 days. Luckily I don't plan to start hunting yotes until late December or January.

My varmint RRA shot about .8 inches with honady 77hpbt and the same with black hills 77 gr as well. This is my first semi auto so it would very likely do better with another driver. I have now changed the barrel for a lighter spr barrel from WOA.

Have a RRA Varmint 20" with 1:8
Consistently shoots 0.5 MOA out to 400 yds with 75 gr handloads
(Hornady Match bullet)

Hornady Superformance factory loads shot really well , although too hot (primers ruptured on most cases)

Have NF 3.5-15 glass on top.
Would love to see paper from a RRPP shooting .5 groups at 400yds

Would love to see paper from a RRPP shooting .5 groups at 400yds
0.5 MOA would be 2.0 inch groups at 400 yards, still impressive...

I have a Fred Eichler Rock River with the hideous looking coyote paw print free float hand guard that will shoot near that .5" at 100 yards with American Eagle 50 grain ballistic tips. Ugly and heavy as hell, especially for a 16" rifle, but I bought one after seeing a buddy's shoot that well, his brother bought one, and mine shoots great also.

All three exceed the Rock River .75" factory accuracy guarantee.

Last edited:
What the fuck is going on here? Time warp?

A guy with 2 posts on a 2009 account is replying to a guy with 10 posts and a 2010 account? To a thread from 2011???

02873FEB-E972-4BA7-AE89-58EF8C7DA551.gif

Last edited:
Spent a whole lot of time lurking, listening, and learning on this forum - I know that my knowledge does not offer much compared to most posting on this site. However, on this rare occasion, I had some first hand experience with the question offered.

The gun does not shoot that all the time, every time, but under ideal conditions, it will do it off a concrete bench with the discontinued Bushnell 6500 2.5-16 which brings the weight down a little on this stout pig.

Of course I'm running my mouth too much with two posts in a dozen years, so I'll head back to the peanut gallery, shut my mouth, and open my eyes/ears until somebody asks about the low end gear that I can afford.

• Haha
Reactions: LRRPF52