• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors reasons for a suppressor

Coyote14

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't want to seem stupid or anything because I might be missing a big reason. But what purpose does anyone not in the military or LE have with a silencer, if someone could list some reasons that would be great.

Re: reasons for a suppressor

Aside from Sound Suppression, aka being a civilized shooter you have:

Recoil Management, which allow for quicker follow up shots, reduced recoil also allows you to spot your own shots more effectively at closer distances. A suppressor is in fact the finest muzzle brake on the market today. With a muzzle brake a 338 feels like a 308.

Suppressors increase velocity, and help direct the gases out of the path of the bullet which assists in accuracy.

this is actually a very good question ....as there IS a line on your form 4 the reason being consistent with public safety....so....

the reason for possession is... "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES"

Plus the CID factor is very high....and only the great unwashed shoot without one

It also eliminates muzzle flash making the shooter harder to locate and preserves the shooter's night vision

It is just WAY COOL. We shoot steel with a "moderated" 22 and the loudest sound is the bullet hitting the steel.

Also works for eliminating backyard pests without bothering the neighbors.

In some of the European countries they are sold over the counter like we would buy a scope or a sling here. They encourage you to use them.

Because on sage rat or prairie dog shoots, it's damned uncomfortable to wear ear protection over eight hours a day.

1911fan

PS: High cool factor, too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dazed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to seem stupid or anything because I might be missing a big reason. But what purpose does anyone not in the military or LE have with a silencer? </div></div>

It's quieter and more pleasant to shoot. Besides reducing the recoil and aiding in accuracy, it's really nice to be able to shoot without hearing protection.
Most of the guys I shoot with now shoot suppressed and it's a bummer when someone shows up with an unsuppressed weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawdog734</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the guys I shoot with now shoot suppressed and it's a bummer when someone shows up with an unsuppressed weapon. </div></div>

Same here. I hate it when I go to the local club (which is usually deserted) and there is a guy there shooting an unsuppressed weapon. It just sucks because I always anticipate not having to use the earmuffs.

The club has had so many noise complaints from the nearby "McMansion" community, I am surprised it can still operate. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in the USA is required to use a suppressor at shooting ranges (like it is in Europe now) because of the noise complaints and potential for permenant hearing damage. In Europe, it is considered rude to shoot without a suppressor.

Same reason for a .50 or full auto,,,,, Or maybe all the states should be like New York, Washington and let's not forget California

For me..

Being civilized.. My range is near a house, anything I can do to help..
Recoil mgmt & accuracy gains..

But noise is my primary..

When you have your buddies over they point and say "HOLY SH*T!" then look at you like "really, who are you?"

Seriously, if you're a varminter they can really be great. You can hear the Prairie rats but you don't have to pause to use ear protection. Personally, I don't have one, but I do a lot of varminting so I have been considering one.

A better question would be, does LE have any need for owning suppressors?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m21black</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A better question would be, does LE have any need for owning suppressors? </div></div>

To keep the entry team from going deaf when they have to fire inside an apartment or drug house where the blast is amplified by being trapped in the structure.

It's Polite.

We should change the laws and encourage their usage like in other countries. A suppressor is no more dangerous than a paperweight w/o the firearm which we have PLENTY of restrictions, and laws on, already!

I am sure my wife would shoot more. She hates the noise.. and frankly my ears have become more sensitive.. my VA MD encouraged me to shoot with them. Her question was "Why did you wait so long"?

My old gun club was being pressured more and more by the surrounding property owners to restrict noise and hours... Gee waaaaa waaa waaa like they didn't know they were purchasing land next door to the range!

Why is a health supporting item restricted to LE and military only? The movies did nothing help.

ALL people have access to these "safety" items. Body armor also.

Restricting passive safety equipment to civilians is nuts.. Next motorcycle full face helmuts will be baned since they conceal your identity... Only terrorists hide their faces.
wink.gif

LE should use hearing protection, it's cheaper for the tax payers... By the way entry team sounds orwellian to me... What has this country come to Police Officers dressed in black ninja suits, kicking down doors like nazi brown shirts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m21black</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way entry team sounds orwellian to me... What has this country come to Police Officers dressed in black ninja suits, kicking down doors like nazi brown shirts... </div></div>

wow...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE should use hearing protection, it's cheaper for the tax payers... By the way entry team sounds orwellian to me... What has this country come to Police Officers dressed in black ninja suits, kicking down doors like nazi brown shirts... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 can = 10 sets electronic muffs + they work with any weapon </div></div>

Some people just dont get it

d-a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 can = 10 sets electronic muffs + they work with any weapon </div></div>

Where do you live? Here at my shop you can get a nice 22LR can that will thread mount for 250$ plus a tax stamp for a grand total of 450$. Last time I checked, electronic muffs were over 100$ a pair so we will round it off to 100$ each to simplify the math, which if I did the it right comes to a grand.....

You obviously have not had the chance to use a can very much.

I will almost certianly bet that you will next tell me how they are too expensive for what you get. All I can say is, I have wasted money on a lot of junk over the years and I can say without question that my NFA stuff is NOT on that list.

To each his own I guess, that is what makes our country great, we have the freedom of choice.

DaveFromGA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d-a</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LE should use hearing protection, it's cheaper for the tax payers... By the way entry team sounds orwellian to me... What has this country come to Police Officers dressed in black ninja suits, kicking down doors like nazi brown shirts... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 can = 10 sets electronic muffs + they work with any weapon </div></div>

Some people just dont get it

d-a </div></div>

Couldn't agree more......

DaveFromGA

I don't use hearing protection. Instead I am saving the money towards signing classes. I figure....by the time I save enough, suppressed and unsupressed weapons will all sound the same to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use hearing protection. Instead I am saving the money towards signing classes. I figure....by the time I save enough, suppressed and unsupressed weapons will all sound the same to me.
</div></div>

laugh.gif
grin.gif

That would be the least expensive way to do it!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dazed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to seem stupid or anything because I might be missing a big reason. But what purpose does anyone not in the military or LE have with a silencer, if someone could list some reasons that would be great. </div></div>

All of mine say "for my personal collection". Always worked for me.

I'm placing my order for my first can Monday. Wearing hearing protection all day sucks and the neighbors will appreciate it for sure.

Shhhh, be wary wary quiet, were hunting wabbits"

and do most of you use silencers on like .308's other rifle calibers, pistols, or AR's ect.

Its really a bummer when I hear about all of you guys and your cans, and seeing all the threads with the pictures when living in MI not being able to do anything about getting one.

The last one I bought was an Outback II for my P22. It is REALLY FUN. Quite is an understatement. My 7 y/o's pellet rifle makes about the same noise. The wife even shoots with me now. She enjoys shooting the 22 and my 308 with subsonics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silent_one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its really a bummer when I hear about all of you guys and your cans, and seeing all the threads with the pictures when living in MI not being able to do anything about getting one. </div></div>

Oh, there's something you can do about it-move.

They are an excellent tool for training new shooters. The more people you introduce to shooting the better for the future of our sport.

Good question. My first reason to purchase a can was to decrease sound, but I now appreciate the lack of recoil better than (or at least as much as) the sound reduction.
I have make some stinker deals on guns and gun accessories over the years, but the suppressor is not one of them. If you can get one, it will increase your shooting enjoyment level dramatically.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Jordan

They are quite heavy compared to other muzzle devices and tend to dampen barrel harmonics quicker, resulting in tighter groups, similar to the barrel weight on the MSG 90.
Less turbulance from muzzle blast increases accuracy too.

Prevention of both short & long term hearing loss is the reason for their use on tactical teams, stealth is secondary. They need to be able to communicate with each other.

As I'm sure you know, they prevent the extrapolation of range & bearing of a sniper's position.

Blame hollyweird and the US media for you even having to ask.
FOr years hollywood and the media have painted the picture that supressors are only for hitman and spec-ops. Basically brainwashed the average american. Much like machine guns 8 out of ten people likely think that machineguns and silencers both are just flat out illegal and only people with a special "machine gun permit" can have one.

Fact is that not only do some europeon countries encourage people to use them(as mentioned a few posts up) its considered very rude to shoot without one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is actually a very good question ....as there IS a line on your form 4 the reason being consistent with public safety....so....

the reason for possession is... "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES"
</div></div>

i like that- good idea.

Washinton state, nice 308 can $600 + $200stamp + $tax, and our state laws are funny here as most say you can't used it even if your cleared for one (? on prizate property only?, and no hunting with one)). Yes i have shot 223 and 22 cans, and i would love to have them on all my rifles. I'm sure a group LE buy on electronic muffs at local gunshop is affordable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawdog734</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silent_one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its really a bummer when I hear about all of you guys and your cans, and seeing all the threads with the pictures when living in MI not being able to do anything about getting one. </div></div>

Oh, there's something you can do about it-move. </div></div>

Easier said than done

I certainly wish we could get them in MN. LE has deemed no way. You can purchase the permit and Fed stamp...but almost everyone of them has been denied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but almost everyone of them has been denied. </div></div>

Form a trust. No CLEO signoff required.

1911fan

Restriction of suppressors came in at the same time as the other $200 tax stamp items, just after the roaring thirties. An outright ban failed on constitutional grounds, so the powers that be, circumvented it via taxation, $200 dollars was the equivilent of twos years average wage at the time. Only for the fact that they neglected to index the tax stamp for inflation, none of you would own anything fun.

The reason suppressors were restricted was over poaching concerns, people were starving at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I certainly wish we could get them in MN. LE has deemed no way. You can purchase the permit and Fed stamp...but almost everyone of them has been denied. </div></div>

You need to write him a letter and inform him that you are not asking for his persmission to own a supressor only asking that he sign a form saying that your not wanted locally for any crimes. Then inform him that there are other legal ways for you to obtrain said supressor which will not include him in the loop.

LEO needs to understand WE ARE NOT ASKING THEMN FOR PERMISSION!!!!

HRVgunner and 1911fan,

Thanks, you are giving me hope on this issue. When I get done pissing them off over my dog issue(we already have it slam dunked!) I will apply for one.