• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarrel 300 win

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
i have a savage 300 win factory barrel approaching 1900 rds. I don't have an elk hunt this year but I do have one next year. I was thinking of re barreling now, to have time to work up load etc. I was thinking of an in-stock Lilja ss .308 1-10", #4 profile. I was also going to have my smith remove my barrel nut and shoulder the barrel like a 700 rem. Thoughts? Experiences with Lilja? Thanks

Re: Rebarrel 300 win

Lilja makes a good barrel and many benchrest matches have been won with there barrels.
I mostly use Benchmark barrels on customers rifles unless they wont something different. Benchmark makes a great barrel that is hard to top and to date I have never had or heard of a bad Benchmark barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have a savage 300 win factory barrel approaching 1900 rds. I don't have an elk hunt this year but I do have one next year. I was thinking of re barreling now, to have time to work up load etc. I was thinking of an in-stock Lilja ss .308 1-10", #4 profile. I was also going to have my smith remove my barrel nut and shoulder the barrel like a 700 rem. Thoughts? Experiences with Lilja? Thanks </div></div>

Are you seeing a decrease in accuracy that prompts the change or is it that you think the barrel is getting shot out?

Any complaints with the current barrel & it's accuracy to date?

Perhaps you haven't considered having the barrel removed, breech faced & then the chamber/throat re-cut as opposed to a complete new barrel?

Common theory is that Savage often shoot so well precisely because of the barrel nut. Others may jump in but I personally would (if accuracy is dropping) go for the chamber re-cut if you were happy with everything else about the rifle previously.

Lilja make great barrels but so do Benchmark & any number of great barrel makers. If you have one in stock & want to change out the barrel, you have a good barrel to start with. I would retain the barrel nut but that's just me.

Accuracy is still good, excellant in fact. I shoot the rifle as much as I can 25-30 rds a week thru out the year. I don't want to have the accuracy fall off and not have time to re-group prior to next years elk hunt. I have heard that when a 300 win goes, it goes fast.

I talked to Chris at Benchmark today. I think that is the way I'm going. Everyone who has dealt with seems pleased. Thanks Guys

yeah....gunning for mui Grande, there you are....taking it one heartbeat at a time....then you slap the trigger and miss....cause its at that time the barrel gives it up.....the rebarrel thing is a fetching idea, money well spent.

Sometime you have to rebarrel because you can
smile.gif

If Benchmark rebarrels it, perhaps they could true the barrel nut shoulder for future endeavours. It shouldn't matter much whether the nut is there or not for a standalone rifle, but if they made certain it was squared it could come in handy for switch barrel projects later?