• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel if my Weatherby

DS K

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
I have a 7 weatherby mag markv
I am considering either a faster twist 7 barrel or going with an 8 twist 270 bee.
I would like to shoot heavier bullets.
270 maybe a bit flatter I’m thinking.
Every time I decide I read something that changes my mind.
Better bullet selection with the 7 but nothing is available now anyway.
It’ll be a hunting/ shooting gun.
Opinions?

Well, I've had both. I'm going to come out of left field on you here and ask you if there are suppressors in your future?

Because, I love weatherby cartridges, and they are excellent, but if you are thinking about throwing on a suppressor at some point, (and you should), when you hack that barrel down to 22" or less, they aren't the best option. If you're going to run a 26+ barrel forever, then then the bullet selection is better in the 7mm world. I have a 270wby barreled action sitting in my safe right now with a 1-9 twist 26" barrel, unfired. I will probably sell it cheap because I'm just not going to use it now that I shoot everything suppressed..

Reactions: 338dude
What’s cheap? I guess a 9 twist 270 would be fine for the 160 bullets.
Is that a mark v action?

7 PRC, 7 twist barrel.
Not because I think it's wonderful, but what it DOES give you , is quality, high BC, heavy for caliber factory ammunition.
Hornady loads both the 175 and 180 grain ELD X bullets in factory ammo.
It is a well designed cartridge.

How long can you load the mag? That's the deciding factor. A 270 that has to be single loaded or a 7mm that has to be single loaded....
I honestly can't see a reason for 270 this day and age. More bullets in 7mm or 6.5. Better BC in either. 270 anything is a real none starter for me.