• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel Rem 700 .243 to .308 WIN-Worth it?

The 243 really is a great little cartridge for long range. Throw in the 90-95 bullets and she starts to shine. The 6CM is the same thing only optimized for the heavier bullets. There are a couple of LR factory loads out there but it’s really a reloading proposition.
As mentioned above you’re probably as well off money wise to sell the rifle and purchase another in 308 if you’re determined to go 308.

How do you have a rifle for almost 30 years and never shoot it?
As my wife says, "I have too many hobbies". That and I just never warmed up to the caliber. Bought it spur of the moment and thought I would get into reloading, but never did. Toyed with selling it many times, but I've never sold a gun that I wish I had kept later.

As my wife says, "I have too many hobbies". That and I just never warmed up to the caliber. Bought it spur of the moment and thought I would get into reloading, but never did. Toyed with selling it many times, but I've never sold a gun that I wish I had kept later.

Well it’s a great rifle!

I would personally not modify it. I’d either shoot it as is , sell it, or keep it and not shoot it.

But throwing a threaded barrel on that would be a shame. Early 90s Remingtons we’re built differently.

I definitely understand not wanting to sell it.

I don't think it's "worth" it from a pure money standpoint to pay someone to rebarrel it.

But. it's easy enough to pick up a remage barrel and swap the caliber yourself. Do that and shoot it and be happy.

I'll go against the grain here.
Yes, it would be worth it, if that is what you want.
You'll want to bed the action and add pillars so the wood doesn't crush when you torque the action in.
It is always worthwhile to have the action trued, you don't need to go all out with a side bolt release etc...
You could rebarrel to 6mm Creedmoor and have a round with similar capabilities to the. 243, with match ammo available.
There is nothing wrong with the tried and true. 308.

First thing I'd do ?
Strip that bolt down and clean the firing pin and the inside of the bolt where the pin goes (channel ???).
Gu-ar-an-tee it's nasty as all hell in there.
You should have done that when you bought the rifle.
Never seen one from that era that wasn't filled with nasty gook and metal shavings too.

Reactions: sinister
Well it’s a great rifle!

I would personally not modify it. I’d either shoot it as is , sell it, or keep it and not shoot it.

But throwing a threaded barrel on that would be a shame. Early 90s Remingtons we’re built differently.
Just because you remove a barrel and install a new one doesn't mean that the old barrel can't go back on if you're sentimental about it. Any way you slice it a standard Remington 243 or 308 built in the early 1990's in't going to increase its value by any significant means.... no real shame there

Just got back from the range. I was sighting in a rifle that I put together for my son.

Stainless Rem700 Action (RR Prefix)
Remage 6.5CM barrel from NSS.

Re-Barrel it yourself and go have some fun with it.

rem700sightinh.JPG