• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarreled stick

Advokaten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2007
Malmö, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
in 6,5x47L now,

26 inch Shilen, 1:8,5 about Palma profile, is turned and ready for a Ase-Utra compact jet-c.

Did a bit of break-in today.

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

I know about posting targets,

so I´ll post it and have it removed by tommorrow.

target remowed
Best regards Chris

Re: Rebarreled stick

Thanks bro,

I am just getting her wrung out with the new barrel and all and it does seen to show a lot of promise,

what I have tried to type above is that the barrel is threaded with a spigotstyle threading,

there is about 20 mm of fitted barrelshank support for the moderator behind the threads.

I´ll get back on this thread when I have some permissable targets to post here.

Best regards Chris

Nice!

How are the ergos of the stock for you when in prone? Looks like the buttpad is a bit low. Or perhaps that is just the camera/angle/etc.

//Marcus

They would be good should I have a 20 inch neck and so forth,

I am about to add a adjustable tubbs threeway buttpad and a Karsten styled cheekpiece.

Last I will have a spigot mounted in the front of the stock to get the bipod a bit closer to the barrel.

I'll have here painted after that.

/Chris

I have done some body work on the stock and I thought I might upload a pic or two,

all parts besides the Atlas and the Tubbs 3-way are handmade/shaped designed by me,

I thought I ought to mention that so no one starts to haze any wendors/makers.

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

Still are a few things to tinker with, shortening a few bolts, adjusting/molding the cheekpiece a bit, after the pic I changed the contour a bit,

after that a clean up/sanding and a duracoating,

originally it was a Sako varmint stock.

I have a Tubb adjustable butt that I've used on several rifles to help me figure out my goofy shoulder/neck/arms stock geometry, thus helping me decide whether or not to invest more in a rifle. It now lives on a Garand. Very useful.

Nice work!

Interesting project...cool looking place to shoot. I missed your targets but it looks like you have made quite a few modifications to your stock.

Yeah it´s a nice place to retreat to for some shooting, even though only 300 meters at the range it will do for most short range work that I do.

This project has been one of nessecity, I have tried hard to get a better stock for the Sako action but to no success,

hence the mods,

I have shifted the position and added a second sling mount to the right side of the stock, perhaps it should have been on the left, I am still unclear of that,

cut stock, added anchors in the stock, the filling does not lend it self to just screwing things to it,

mounted and fitted backplate for the Tubbs,

bent kydex plate, had pillars made from alu arrow shaft, drilled and mounted those,

last, had a picatinny shaped solid rail, stock alu, had it hand filed to take picatinny mounts, made the end of the rail into a solid square of alu,

fitted the bipod spigot, and last had every piece epoxied in place as well as bolted/screwed.

Not all that much work however with a better workshop then my old kitcken table and hand tools it would have been much quicker of a build.

I think that there is good promise in the stock now and the balance of the rifle is so much better.

Will see how it shoots.

/Chris

Had some range time today.

IMAG0348-1.jpg

IMAG0350-1.jpg

IMAG0353-1.jpg

Rifle seems to be able to shoot about 1/4 MOA at 100 meters and about 1/2 MOA at 300 meters,

I am not a better shot than that so I guess that´s alright then.

Best regards Chris

IMAG0366.jpg

Been shooting the rifle some more, a 8,8 mm 5 round target with a 6,5 mm flyer is a testament to a good rifle and a poor shot, still on the other target I was only looking to get good speed reading on the crono.

IMAG0359.jpg

Took my first kill with the rifle in this configuration, that is my spotter on the pic not me, usually my task when Mike and I hit the fields.

yes it was 318 meters/346 yards, no wind conditions, DRT-results with a 123 grain A-max.

Best regards Chris

Nice Sako.
I wonder how it shoots compared to my brand new Sako 85 with the factory barrel and laminated stock.

Well,

Fx1, if you do look a bit higher in this thread, I have shot a few 8 mm 5 shot groups and none larger than 25 mm @ 100 meters,

ie that is all groups have been less than an inch or so.

Since I/we have no idea what cal or model your 85 is, there is little more than guess work in knowing how well ut shoots.

One thing I do know is that the modern Sakos 75/85 will shoot ok but not excellent most of the time.

/Chris

Scotch,

it´s handfiled and handfitted from a solid bar of alu.

I made the picatinny mount part and squared of the rest of the bar, drilled and tapped it, also sunk standard set bolt heads in the bar, alu could have been too soft,

Took far to long to make it, however it has worked great shooting with it.

I figure than any and all stocks like mine could have it fitted, perhaps it´s time for some of the more able handed men in here to make it as a product.

/Chris

Things have been sort of slow this winter,

have been shooting my rifle, but not a lot,

loggin 194 rounds in the barrel,

it has shown som great promise, at times.

the diamons are 5x5 mm or 1/5 of an inch, shot this saturday, prone in the wet snow, 110 yards/100 meters, slow and steady pace.

IMAG0421.jpg

I am still batteling my issues with pierced primers and to retify this I have now switched over to CCI 450, to se if that does the trick.

/Chris

Thank you,

well it´s getting there,

I have a good load for the Scenar bullets and are looking for a second one for the A-max,

unfortunatly they will not just interchange in loads, the 123 A-max yilds a lot higher pressure in my barrel.

More tests are to come.

Best regards Chris