• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarreling a Rem 581

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Guys I have a Rem 581 bought back in about 1977 and it was my first rifle. Needless to say it suffered alot as I learned to shoot and has taken a ton of abuse. Accuracy has gone down hill and barely breaks 1" at 50yards. My best guess is about 30-50,000 rounds through it, mostly CCI minimags.

Im going to give it a face lift by putting it into a dupliate of the BC light tactical done in a zebra wood laminate and was considering shortening the 26" barrel or just cleaning up the crown. The itch grew some more and now Im thinking of a rebarrel. Can anyone recommend a smith and give a guess on a cost for the total job? Im thinking of something along the line of a light palma contour.

Re: Rebarreling a Rem 581

Brian Voelker. you can get his info up at rimfirecentral.

he rebarreled my 581 with a lilja and did a trigger job and threaded the barrel to the action. it is deadly accurate .75-1" groups at 100yds. with wolf and eley ammo- a lot better than before.

i was really pleased with his turn around time and his work ethic.

Voelker is the only guy I would let touch a 581 or 541, he is the best there is.

Thanks guys, I could not find a website, what would I be looking at roughly for a rebarrel job? Similiar to a normal centerfire?

he threads the action and barrel, laps the lugs and will do some bitchin' trigger work I think for the 200 bux.