• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling a Remington 700 Target/Tactical .308

--BLACKOUT--

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    1st post, 1st question... I bought a Rem700 Target/Tactical .308 off a friend of mine and I want to rebarrel this thing because I hate the triangular barrel. I want to use the rifle for hunting and some long range shooting. I'm leaning towards a 22" barrel by either Pac-Nor, Bartlein, Krieger or Brux. I also want to get the action trued while I'm at it... So, what is the best way to go about accomplishing this?? I have some money set aside for this but don't want to put too much into it. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

... just want to add that I've tried to read all I can about my subject but I've only confused myself with all the info...

Re: Rebarreling a Remington 700 Target/Tactical .308

First: figure out what bullet you want to shoot(weight wise). Second: find a barrel manufacture that you like and call them up and talk to them, tell them what you want to shoot out of there barrel and they should tell you what you want as far as twist rate and contour, contour will be depend on how heavy you want it to be. Third: after getting your barrel take it and your action to a proficient gunsmith and have him or her chamber said barrel and true the action and put together the rifle for you Fourth: shoot said rifle and have fun.

Thanks for the help iloveguns. I wasn't sure whether to send my action to the company I was getting my barrel from since most of them will rebarrel and chamber them for you. I have some 168, 175 grain FGMM that came with the gun and was looking to shoot the latter and I also was wanting to shoot some of the Hornady 178gr superperformance. I'll be going with a 1:10 twist on the barrel.

Next question... Can somebody recommend a good gunsmith here in the southwest area and have a ballpark figure of what they would charge??

You could try contacting Chad Dixon or Roscoe here on the boards to see what they'll suggest or charge. The last I knew Rock Creek was asking $500 to true a receiver and twist on one of their tubes (love Rock Creek). But its gonna vary based on the barrel you buy and what specs you want. Just start emailing and asking.

FWIW I just finished (late last night/early this morning) a new "supa bling" fixture for tuning up receivers that will likely cause the earth to stop spinning should I ever stick a tool in it. This biche is easily a couple hundred pounds.

It's the product of about two weeks worth of late nights. I have some additional gauging to make for the process that'll help with speeding things up a bit, but for all purposes its ready to go as we speak.

I charge $250 to true up an action. You'll need a new recoil lug as well because I pin the lug to the receiver. I have those on the shelf (made in house) ready to run. $65 for the lug.

Ground, hardened, bla bla SS.

Good parts.

As for barrels. I have relationships with most of the marquee barrel makers. One in particular is Brux. Ol Norm takes really good care of me. I can have it on my door inside of 6 weeks.

$200 installed
    $250 for fluted.

My reamer inventory is PTG exclusive and I have a good selection. Email for the list if interested.

It'll be up on the site (along with numerous other updates) in a couple days.

If I can be of service I'd be glad to help.

C

Mr. Dixon, sounds good. Thanx for the info and I'll be emailing you here in a week or two to get this thing going. I'm a little busy right now or I would get on it today. You'll be hearing from me soon. Thanks again

Hey chad if you need a remington action to practice your new super remington truing thinga magig I will offer mine up for a low low cost to you. But of course I will need it back when your done.