• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling a RRA 24" Varminter

Tex1970

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
Seattle, Washington . USA
frown.gif
I have a RRA Varminter with a 24" barrel with the 1/12 twist have just put about 50rds through it, and wanting to get a more practical barrel, such as 1/8, or 1/9, So I can shoot from 55gr to 77gr. I have found the Wilson barrel quite good, 3/4" gaurantee is real even for me. But am wondering if there is not a better barrel out there. I have looked at the Kreiger, bartlein, and Mike Rock sites and all seem good to go. But would appreciate any real world experience, from owners of these barrels, or people who have done such a change. Also am wondering if there is anything else I should do to make it run and shoot better. Thanks for the Help.
Randy

Re: Rebarreling a RRA 24" Varminter

Randy,

The Wilsons are pretty good, used a couple.

I have, and really like the Kreiger 1:7.7, with 77's. Don't know if it could get any better.

May be willing to take the RR barrel off your hands if you want to get ride of it.

Shane

Randy,

You could start by making sure your AR is squared away. Often most AR's benefit from their upper receiver face be squared and trued. Also a good trigger will help too. You could also have your local reputable gunsmith cut the barrel to 18-20" and recrown, this could help also. If you did not want to go through all of that, you could also have your go to gunsmith cut, chamber and contour a match quality blank into an AR barrel.

You will probably want a 1-8 twist if you do rebarrel. It could be a little more versatile than a 1-9.

I can do all of the work described above if you cant get it done locally. If you do get a new barrel, I would be interested in your old one!

Mark

I will second White Oak. They carry Wilson barrels that they have as their standard grade or they can do a Pac-Nor or Krieger for you as well. Top quality at good pricing.