• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling cost?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
I have a Remington 700 that I'd like to have rebarreled and the action trued. I'd want a stainless 26" varmint/sendero contoured barrel in .243 Win. probably an 8 or 8.5 twist. Does anyone have a recommendation of someone reasonably priced in the Houston, Tx. area or can recommend someone that does quality work at a reasonable price that I can send the rifle to? How much should I expect for something like this to cost, or turn around time? Any and all advice is appreciated, I've never done this before. Thanks.

Re: Rebarreling cost?

$400-$500 without the barrel and about $300 barrel cost. Check out some of the smiths on this site, turnaround should be 1-2 months within reason.

Pete Piper w/ Precision Barrel Works does good work. He is out of Hempsted, Tx; last time I used him it was $200 for blue printing $350 for chambering, crown and barrel install plus you supply the barrel (another $300-$325).

LA Precision (wnroscoe) is close enough to TX and well worth the shipping cost. Not only does he sprinkle magic dust on it, he will keep in touch with you on load development and make sure all is well. LA Precision
Good guy, great rifles...turn around was a couple of months.
I've also had Bartlein true and chamber one that shoots excellent. Their turnaround was little longer, but most of it was waiting on the barrel.

As far as the cost, anywhere from 350-500 for truing,threading and chambering. $315 for the barrel, 40ish for a good recoil lug plus shipping to and from (don't be afraid to ship your rifle to a good smith). Check out the commercial vendors here for in stock barrels. I'm a Bartlein and Krieger fan. Rock, Ober, Brux, etc gets high remarks around here as well.Best to get all the parts and send it, as opposed to having the smith order them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Best to get all the parts and send it, as opposed to having the smith order them.
</div></div>

I was wondering about this but wasn't sure how a gunsmith would feel if I bring the parts. I've never done this before and didn't want to insult anyone.

Anyone have a source of barrels other than Midway or Brownells? I may decide to buy the barrel and just send it to the smith along with the gun.

scroll down on this forum to commercial sales, look for and ad on barrels, BUGHOLES.COM great selection and great pricing. PM me with any questions, I have had 6 rebarrels in the last 18 months with a few REM 700 trued. PM me with any questions.

I got a quote from GA Precision of $350 to true, thread, chamber and crown my action and my barrel blank. At that time (around Oct. of last year), completion time was around two months.

Barrel $350
Chambering $250
Receiver / Bolt Truing $250
Ground Recoil lug $45
Return shipping $50

$945.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Barrel $350
Chambering $250
Receiver / Bolt Truing $250
Ground Recoil lug $45
Return shipping $50

$945.00 </div></div>

Can I get a finders fee credit if you receive his action...I got one screaming for some LA love.