• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling Howa 1500

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I've heard a few folks say that removing the stock barrel on a Howa is a serious pain. I've got an opportunity to pick-up a very clean 1500 for a good price. I'm most interested in using it as a foundation for a humble custom build. First item would be a new barrel chambered in 223 AI. I'm very used to changing barrels on my benchrest competition rifles and wondered if this will be an issue with the Howa? Does the Howa require a unique/special action wrench or will a standard Remington action wrench work?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Re: Rebarreling Howa 1500

i just pulled one the other day. I had to make a cut about .010 from the front of the action and I could almost take it off by hand.

If you cut a relief between the receiver and barrel it will make it much easier. The action is flat bottom, if you're wrench will accommodate that it should work.

I bet I could get the barrel off faster without a relief cut, just Kroil and 1000 foot pounds with a Mauser action wrench, than you can get the lathe set up to cut the barrel threads.... The action thread is 1.020"x 1.5mm. For those of you in Rio Linda, that means you need to find those metric gears that came with the lathe and get some grease on your hands.
I got a Howa 1500 270 at a gun show for $200.
I wish it had a .223 bolt face.
I got a Rem700 22-250 for $180 at a gun show.
I typically pay $300 for a Mauser ready to rebarrel.
Here is my Howa 1500 action schpeal:

The 98 Mauser has:
1) flat bottomed receiver to take torque from rifling
2) controlled feed
3) claw typed extractor
4) safety on firing pin, often modified to be 2 or 3 position M70 type
5) multi stage gas filter on firing pin hole for safety
6) bolt handle is integrally forged as part of bolt body
7) safety lug below rear bridge
8) integral recoil lug
9) knife ejector in bolt lug slot
10 an inner C ring to put the tenon threads in compression

The rem 700
1) receiver made from round tubing
2) push feed
3) little wimpy extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle tacked on with screw and solder
7) nothing for safety if bolt lugs fail.
8) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
9) plunger ejector
10) No inner C ring, so the only thing holding the barrel to the receiver is the tenon threads in tension

Of the ~100 bolt action covered in the above book, they seem to all be on the spectrum somewhere between the simple Rem700 and the complex 1898 Mauser design.

The Howa 1500:
1) flat bottom receiver
2) push feed
3) short claw extractor is bigger than rem, but smaller than M98
4) three position bolt safety
5) simple bolt
6) Integral bolt handle
7) nothing
8) integral recoil lug
9) plunger ejector

I would give the Howa Mauser scale = ~50% Mauser
I would give the Howa Rem700 scale = ~50% Rem700

Reactions: plidenbrock

The barrels are on there pretty tight, I put a parting tool through it pretty close to the action on mine and it screwed of easily after that.

IMG_0979.jpg

I couldn't find an action wrench locally so I milled one up to the outside profile of the action, it worked a treat, I'm not sure what a proper wrench for them looks like. This is the one I made below:
IMG_0980.jpg

I'm looking at a DIY barrel swap on my Howa. I don't know much about the whole process, but I have access to a machine shop and (more importantly) experienced machinists to help me out. Does anyone have a better picture of the relief cut on the barrel to make the process easier? I'd like to see a little better picture of it to show how it works. I assume you just cut a little underneath the threads to relieve the stress? One of those pictures shows it, but I just want to make sure. I have a factory blued pencil barrel and blued receiver, and I'm not worried about cutting up my factory barrel, just don't want to hurt the action. Helpful posts so far. Will be making an action wrench and barrel wrench as my first project this week hopefully.

-Travis

I saw some universal action wrenches that only work on flat bottom receivers on the Brownells website. Thinking about picking one up when im ready to re barrel. Anybody have any expierience with those?