• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebated precision magnums

Dirty D

Resident Sommelier of cellulite
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Your moms house
Someone help me understand what is the point of a case that has a .473 base and a magnum body, I did notice the comment about fitting Weatherbys 6 lug action but is there something I am missing? Why not make a case with a magnum base and same diameter case body other than Hornady beat them to that party?

Its so some goofball can re barrel their Savage to feel less poor, and use over priced Sammi ammo that no one can find or probably really wants in the first place. Always considered Weatherby to be a Thurston Howell the 3rd, snooty type rich mans brand.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirty D
Rebated rim makes sense to me for those such as the Ultras, where a Lapua boltface would be needed otherwise.
Doesn't make much sense to me for a case that could've simply used a magnum boltface without a rebated rim.

Reduced bolt thrust with the rebated rim, but I don't see how that figures in here.

Reactions: Dirty D
Rebated rim makes sense to me for those such as the Ultras, where a Lapua boltface would be needed otherwise.
Doesn't make much sense to me for a case that could've simply used a magnum boltface without a rebated rim.

Reduced bolt thrust with the rebated rim, but I don't see how that figures in here.

They were designed to offer magnum performance in a lighter rifle. A different way to get 6.5PRC performance.

Last edited:
The 6.5 rpm is based upon a stretched 6.5x284, and it's parent case 284win. They're both extremely accurate cases. If there was good quality brass available, I'm sure it'd perform well. It essentially gives you higher class magnum performance from a 473 case head. Believe the 65 rpm has case capacity of 81gr, with proper freebore it'd perform very well. Similar to a 6.5wsm, and exceed the saum or prc. Its a hunting cartridge, with 3.34 coal as its designed to run in the slim 6lug mk5 wby action which have short mag boxes. They're slick lil rigs.

Reactions: abn31c